Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UMich11

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UMich11 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Any idea how much being a Michigan resident plays into the decision process, especially for WL? I am a Michigan resident but for number of reasons i'm categorized as an OOS student (happened for UG as well). I've since been WL'd and i think(hope) this is the one thing holding up the process. See the email they sent re residency:

Sometimes applicants become concerned when they receive this letter. Be assured that although the Admissions Office does not have the discretion to officially designate you as a resident, and that although the guidelines for having to apply are easily triggered, we in the Admissions Office have a great deal of experience in this area and are quite perceptive about when residency guidelines are likely to be satisfied by an applicant. Where it is clear to us that an applicant will ultimately be so classified, we make decisions accordingly. When we are in doubt and we think a positive residency determination would affect the outcome, we delay decisions until we receive official word.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Roughly 3 weeks and no scholarship info. Safe to assume I'm not getting a dime?

I love you Mich, I really do, but my pockets wouldn't be deep enough to afford you even if I cut holes in them.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm

jcan91 wrote:Roughly 3 weeks and no scholarship info. Safe to assume I'm not getting a dime?

I'm only aware of the Dean's Scholarship, and that seems to be awarded within two weeks of admittance. Other students get need-based aid, and Michigan will negotiate with the rest so long as they have scholarships from peer schools.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 pm

smdpnp wrote:
jcan91 wrote:Roughly 3 weeks and no scholarship info. Safe to assume I'm not getting a dime?

I'm only aware of the Dean's Scholarship, and that seems to be awarded within two weeks of admittance. Other students get need-based aid, and Michigan will negotiate with the rest so long as they have scholarships from peer schools.

Aah okay thanks for this. I guess the wait for competition money commences lol.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Has anyone been to one of the alumni receptions? I just signed up for the one in Chicago next week.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 pm

shot in the dark---- do most people have an email address listed on the top of the status checker??? I noticed a while ago my email address isn't there/it's blank. wondering if that's something i should call about. I submitted mid november, went complete 12/4, I'm a umich alumn who wrote a very sincere why michigan, with good numbers, and have heard nothing since the "we havent forgotten about you" email 1/10. my reaction to this is WHAT THE EFF.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:40 pm

jubee wrote:shot in the dark---- do most people have an email address listed on the top of the status checker??? I noticed a while ago my email address isn't there/it's blank. wondering if that's something i should call about. I submitted mid november, went complete 12/4, I'm a umich alumn who wrote a very sincere why michigan and have heard nothing since the "we havent forgotten about you" email 1/10. my reaction to this is WHAT THE EFF.

I don't have an email either, but i received my wl notification without issue. I'm a recent UMich alum as well with worse stats than you. I'm sure your acceptance is simply queued up.

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Has anyone heard anything re: need-based aid? Do they email you if/when they've decided to give you an award?

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Has anyone heard anything re: need-based aid? Do they email you if/when they've decided to give you an award?

Also very curious about this.

JUburton

Postby JUburton » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 pm

45k (assuming the 15000 means annually). Not bad but I don't think I'll have any competing offers...unless they want to count Vandy (nope).

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 pm

JUburton wrote:45k (assuming the 15000 means annually). Not bad but I don't think I'll have any competing offers...unless they want to count Vandy (nope).

Need or merit?

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

That little blue "Complete" is mocking me.

JUburton

Postby JUburton » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
JUburton wrote:45k (assuming the 15000 means annually). Not bad but I don't think I'll have any competing offers...unless they want to count Vandy (nope).

Need or merit?
Merit...Dean's scholarship.

miguelfoogo

Postby miguelfoogo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi all,
So i have not been offered any money from Michigan. On their website they say they will frequently offer a little money to people who did not initially get offered any...if the person writes to request it.

I should have some scholarship money from a peer institution soon.

My question is whether I should wait to write Michigan asking about receiving some merit aid until I have a peer school scholarship offer in hand or if I should start out asking for some money in general without any evidence of other scholarships.

My reasoning for maybe doing the latter is because it seems possible they would offer me a small scholarship just by my general request.
Then it may offer me more negotiating power if I could come back 2 weeks later and say, "i already have this scholarship from you, but now this peer school is offering this money. can you raise the scholarship"... in essence it gives me a chance to bump the scholarship up from a higher starting point.

I was thinking if i came with the peer school scholarship evidence right away, they might only give me the same little bump up in scholarship they would give if i just asked in general. Does having two chances to write to them, give me more opportunity to raise the scholarship?

Thanks for any input.

bakaaw

Postby bakaaw » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm

miguelfoogo wrote:Hi all,
So i have not been offered any money from Michigan. On their website they say they will frequently offer a little money to people who did not initially get offered any...if the person writes to request it.

My question is whether I should wait to write Michigan asking about receiving some merit aid until I have a peer school scholarship offer in hand or if I should start out asking for some money in general without any evidence of other scholarships.

My reasoning for maybe doing the latter is because it seems possible they would offer me a small scholarship just by my general request.
Then it may offer me more negotiating power if I could come back 2 weeks later and say, "i already have this scholarship from you, but now this peer school is offering this money. can you raise the scholarship"... in essence it gives me a chance to bump the scholarship up from a higher starting point.

I was thinking if i came with the peer school scholarship evidence right away, they might only give me the same little bump up in scholarship they would give if i just asked in general. Does having two chances to write to them, give me more opportunity to raise the scholarship?

Thanks for any input.

How long ago were you accepted?

They say it can take up to six weeks for their initial offer to come out, but a lot of people on here reported receiving their offers within a couple weeks. But as a counter-example, it took between 4 and 5 weeks for them to put their offer for me on the ASW. I had given up hope on getting anything before being pleasantly surprised.

So, you may also consider waiting a bit longer if you're a recent admit. If for nothing else than to see what the peer offer(s) is(are) and to see where UM is starting from.

miguelfoogo

Postby miguelfoogo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:26 pm

That's true. Although I was admitted around January 15. I will probably wait another week or so before I write.

NavyOfficer23

Postby NavyOfficer23 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 pm

bakaaw wrote:
miguelfoogo wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for any input.

How long ago were you accepted?

They say it can take up to six weeks for their initial offer to come out, but a lot of people on here reported receiving their offers within a couple weeks. But as a counter-example, it took between 4 and 5 weeks for them to put their offer for me on the ASW. I had given up hope on getting anything before being pleasantly surprised.

So, you may also consider waiting a bit longer if you're a recent admit. If for nothing else than to see what the peer offer(s) is(are) and to see where UM is starting from.

Michigan won't raise their merit offer if they've made one to you. If you aren't offered any, send them copies of your letters from other schools. I did this ($66k at Notre Dame, $60k at BU, $65k at Vandy), and they got back to me the same day with an $18k total offer. They will only do this one time, so wait for all your offers before sending them in.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 pm

^^Thank YOU for serving.

harpoon23

Postby harpoon23 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:24 pm

hey guys - i applied back in january and am still waiting on a decision from UM. I would classify Michigan as a reach for me, but it is clearly and without a doubt my number 1 choice. i believe (though im not sure since the lsac website appears to be down) that i applied for the fall start on my application, but was wondering if it might be worthwhile to send them a note saying that I would be willing to do summer to demonstrate my interest level with the school. any advice would be much appreciated!

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

harpoon23 wrote:hey guys - i applied back in january and am still waiting on a decision from UM. I would classify Michigan as a reach for me, but it is clearly and without a doubt my number 1 choice. i believe (though im not sure since the lsac website appears to be down) that i applied for the fall start on my application, but was wondering if it might be worthwhile to send them a note saying that I would be willing to do summer to demonstrate my interest level with the school. any advice would be much appreciated!

Be patient. Unless you're wait-listed or held, it's probably going to come off as desperate or overly proactive to contact them with LOCI (i.e. letter of continued interest) material.

On an unrelated note: Is it the consensus that after getting accepted but not hearing back from Mich for 2 or 3 weeks about scholly/financial aid info, we're probably not getting it? Just wondering when I should start leveraging my NYU scholly with MU.

gonnaknow

Postby gonnaknow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 am

:cry: DINGED!

islandrose0913

Postby islandrose0913 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 am

gonnaknow wrote::cry: DINGED!

x2

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
harpoon23 wrote:hey guys - i applied back in january and am still waiting on a decision from UM. I would classify Michigan as a reach for me, but it is clearly and without a doubt my number 1 choice. i believe (though im not sure since the lsac website appears to be down) that i applied for the fall start on my application, but was wondering if it might be worthwhile to send them a note saying that I would be willing to do summer to demonstrate my interest level with the school. any advice would be much appreciated!

Be patient. Unless you're wait-listed or held, it's probably going to come off as desperate or overly proactive to contact them with LOCI (i.e. letter of continued interest) material.

On an unrelated note: Is it the consensus that after getting accepted but not hearing back from Mich for 2 or 3 weeks about scholly/financial aid info, we're probably not getting it? Just wondering when I should start leveraging my NYU scholly with MU.

I did an LOCI after the "we have not forgotten you" email, i was then WL'd but now i'm working on another LOCI. I don't think it's too much as long as your add information which may not have been there before. I don't have any new developments, but i can add color as to why i want to attend and what really draws me to UM. If you can do that, write one.

But, maybe wait until the end of the month. I applied in Nov for ED and was rolled, didn't send LOCI #1 until mid january.

goCATSgo

Postby goCATSgo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am

It's been fun watching this thread. Dinged. 3.06, 164.

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 pm

NavyOfficer23 wrote:Michigan won't raise their merit offer if they've made one to you.

Are we sure about that? I know they say in the initial letter they do not usually compete with other offers, but has anyone actually tried?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”