Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Anonimo
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 am

dolfan17 wrote:In via status checker!!


Congrats.. you should receive some money soon.. are you definitely attending? you are probably in at a t7

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 pm

dolfan17 wrote:In via status checker!!

Congrats!

User avatar
dolfan17
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dolfan17 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonimo wrote:
dolfan17 wrote:In via status checker!!


Congrats.. you should receive some money soon.. are you definitely attending? you are probably in at a t7



Thanks everyone. I'm not set on any particular school right now, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I like Michigan a lot but I'm a little concerned about job prospects relative to some of their peers

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:21 pm

I got the mass email from Dean Zearfoss asking some fall admits to consider summer start instead of fall. Does starting in the summer improve financial aid prospects at all? I want to negotiate a scholarship with Michigan and I'm wondering if agreeing to a summer start would increase or and decrease my chances of getting money - I really want to attend Michigan, but if you don't get more aid for summer, I'd rather keep working at my job through the summer, save more money, and start in the fall.

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UMich11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Anyone know how lenient UMich is with deferring for a year, especially if you get in off the waitlist. I'm working and when i told my boss i was considering grad school i told him i would give them 6 month lead time to find a replacement - hence i applied ED. Well now that i am WL, if i get in giving that 6 mnths will be difficult - especially if i get in for Summer.

Any one know if they would be willing to allow me to defer for a year? Plus, if i defer i can guarantee paying for school w/o debt through what i'll make vs having to take on debt throughout LS. Think this will be taken into consideration if i ask for it?

thanks.

gnuwheels
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby gnuwheels » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Michigan 1L (fall starter) here, and I would just like to suggest that if any of you are able to switch to summer start, you should. There are very few downsides and a lot of upsides.

The only downsides I can think of are:

1) having to leave your current job early and giving up on some extra funds (or in the alternative going straight through from undergrad and just being burned out)

2) being slightly removed and separate from the rest of the 1L class (although the summer starters who make an effort seem to be pretty well integrated)

3) (maybe the most significant) having three semesters of law school in a row (but the summer semester is much lighter and the spring semester you have the option of taking a light load if you need it. Although I have heard that summer starters are very underrepresented on law review because many are just too burned out to do the write-on at the end of the spring semester)

In the grand scheme of things, I think the pros far outweigh these minor cons. I wish I had done it in retrospect.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

fallingup wrote:I got the mass email from Dean Zearfoss asking some fall admits to consider summer start instead of fall. Does starting in the summer improve financial aid prospects at all? I want to negotiate a scholarship with Michigan and I'm wondering if agreeing to a summer start would increase or and decrease my chances of getting money - I really want to attend Michigan, but if you don't get more aid for summer, I'd rather keep working at my job through the summer, save more money, and start in the fall.


Can't hurt to ask :). Just be sure that you are ok with summer start if you have the conversation.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 pm

gnuwheels wrote:Michigan 1L (fall starter) here, and I would just like to suggest that if any of you are able to switch to summer start, you should. There are very few downsides and a lot of upsides.

The only downsides I can think of are:

1) having to leave your current job early and giving up on some extra funds (or in the alternative going straight through from undergrad and just being burned out)

2) being slightly removed and separate from the rest of the 1L class (although the summer starters who make an effort seem to be pretty well integrated)

3) (maybe the most significant) having three semesters of law school in a row (but the summer semester is much lighter and the spring semester you have the option of taking a light load if you need it. Although I have heard that summer starters are very underrepresented on law review because many are just too burned out to do the write-on at the end of the spring semester)

In the grand scheme of things, I think the pros far outweigh these minor cons. I wish I had done it in retrospect.

Could you elaborate on the upsides?

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Yeah, #1 is the major downside for me...I would be giving up 3 months of income plus the yearly company bonus paid out in August...it's really hard to give that up.

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm

fallingup wrote:Yeah, #1 is the major downside for me...I would be giving up 3 months of income plus the yearly company bonus paid out in August...it's really hard to give that up.


When did you get this email? I am wondering why I didn't get it, IIRC we have similar numbers :?

gnuwheels
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby gnuwheels » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:10 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
gnuwheels wrote:Michigan 1L (fall starter) here, and I would just like to suggest that if any of you are able to switch to summer start, you should. There are very few downsides and a lot of upsides.

The only downsides I can think of are:

1) having to leave your current job early and giving up on some extra funds (or in the alternative going straight through from undergrad and just being burned out)

2) being slightly removed and separate from the rest of the 1L class (although the summer starters who make an effort seem to be pretty well integrated)

3) (maybe the most significant) having three semesters of law school in a row (but the summer semester is much lighter and the spring semester you have the option of taking a light load if you need it. Although I have heard that summer starters are very underrepresented on law review because many are just too burned out to do the write-on at the end of the spring semester)

In the grand scheme of things, I think the pros far outweigh these minor cons. I wish I had done it in retrospect.

Could you elaborate on the upsides?


The three most significant upsides are 1. A light semester to start out, 2. (if you're doing OCI) an extra semester to pad/correct your GPA and 3. flexibility from graduating early.

Re: #1 - the summer starters take two instead of three doctrinal classes in the summer. I can't even imagine having one less class overall, it would make things way more pleasant. Plus there are no student orgs yet cause the year hasn't started so I'd assume there is lots of downtime to just relax and more than enough time to allocate to studying. When you consider that summer starters get a light load in the summer and have flexibility to make their own schedule for the most part in the spring, they really only have 1 actual "real" 1L semester, in the fall.

Re: #2 - Summer starters get to take electives in their spring semester and some classes are not graded on curves like the 1L classes. I have some friends who are summer starters who are taking pretty much all seminars or small classes where they're way more likely to get a decent grade and it could help them adjust their GPA up before OCI. I know it sounds very gunner-ish but when OCI is not even close a sure bet, this certainly is a very useful asset for these students if they didn't do as well as hoped or are trying to be as competitive as possible. I would also add (which is a little less gunnerish) you can just use the electives to tailor your classes to a specific interest before OCI. If you wanna do transactional work, for example, you can take EO and a transactional-related seminar and if you do really well in those it could help you stand out from the rest of the 1Ls who don't have that option.

Re: #3 - Summer starters graduate early and have options to early a) start working early or b) use that extra time to study for the bar, travel, relax, do extra things. I spoke to a 3L summer starter who graduated in December and is studying for the bar at a very leisurely pace in addition to spending a lot of time travelling, all before his start date a firm in September.
Last edited by gnuwheels on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
fallingup wrote:Yeah, #1 is the major downside for me...I would be giving up 3 months of income plus the yearly company bonus paid out in August...it's really hard to give that up.


When did you get this email? I am wondering why I didn't get it, IIRC we have similar numbers :?


Did you indicate on your app that you would be willing to be considered for summer start?

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 pm

fallingup wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
fallingup wrote:Yeah, #1 is the major downside for me...I would be giving up 3 months of income plus the yearly company bonus paid out in August...it's really hard to give that up.


When did you get this email? I am wondering why I didn't get it, IIRC we have similar numbers :?


Did you indicate on your app that you would be willing to be considered for summer start?


Ahhh, no I didn't. Thanks!

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby KanyeShrug » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

fallingup wrote:I got the mass email from Dean Zearfoss asking some fall admits to consider summer start instead of fall. Does starting in the summer improve financial aid prospects at all? I want to negotiate a scholarship with Michigan and I'm wondering if agreeing to a summer start would increase or and decrease my chances of getting money - I really want to attend Michigan, but if you don't get more aid for summer, I'd rather keep working at my job through the summer, save more money, and start in the fall.


Hmmm... I'm gonna go ahead and think this is a good sign for waitlisters that checked the "I'd be down for summer start even though I wasn't before" box. If you got this email, do us WLers a solid and just stick with the fall start. I'll have cookies waiting for you guys in August.


Image

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dproduct » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:
fallingup wrote:I got the mass email from Dean Zearfoss asking some fall admits to consider summer start instead of fall. Does starting in the summer improve financial aid prospects at all? I want to negotiate a scholarship with Michigan and I'm wondering if agreeing to a summer start would increase or and decrease my chances of getting money - I really want to attend Michigan, but if you don't get more aid for summer, I'd rather keep working at my job through the summer, save more money, and start in the fall.


Hmmm... I'm gonna go ahead and think this is a good sign for waitlisters that checked the "I'd be down for summer start even though I wasn't before" box. If you got this email, do us WLers a solid and just stick with the fall start. I'll have cookies waiting for you guys in August.


Image


Literally the same thing I thought.

User avatar
JEB
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby JEB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 am

Don't get too excited, guys. The same thing came out today to Summer Start admits who might want to change to fall.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 am

JEB wrote:Don't get too excited, guys. The same thing came out today to Summer Start admits who might want to change to fall.


YES. YES. LEAVE SUMMER STARTERS.

Rdubs
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Rdubs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 am

UMich11 wrote:Anyone know how lenient UMich is with deferring for a year, especially if you get in off the waitlist. I'm working and when i told my boss i was considering grad school i told him i would give them 6 month lead time to find a replacement - hence i applied ED. Well now that i am WL, if i get in giving that 6 mnths will be difficult - especially if i get in for Summer.

Any one know if they would be willing to allow me to defer for a year? Plus, if i defer i can guarantee paying for school w/o debt through what i'll make vs having to take on debt throughout LS. Think this will be taken into consideration if i ask for it?

thanks.



It wouldn't hurt to send them an email explaining the situation / give them a call to ask. It shows that you are legitimately interested in attending and gives them a bit of heads up on your situation. The admissions office is awesome and definitely willing to work with you. If you say something like "If I get in off the waitlist, I'm coming to Michigan, but I may need to defer a year because I gave my boss my word that I would provide 6 months notice before leaving my job and getting in later than in the next few weeks means that won't be possible before the start date" and you mean it, I think that would reflect positively on you as an applicant. The worst thing that would happen is that they send you an email telling you that they are considering your application, and you are in the same boat you are in now.

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UMich11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 am

Rdubs wrote:
UMich11 wrote:Anyone know how lenient UMich is with deferring for a year, especially if you get in off the waitlist. I'm working and when i told my boss i was considering grad school i told him i would give them 6 month lead time to find a replacement - hence i applied ED. Well now that i am WL, if i get in giving that 6 mnths will be difficult - especially if i get in for Summer.

Any one know if they would be willing to allow me to defer for a year? Plus, if i defer i can guarantee paying for school w/o debt through what i'll make vs having to take on debt throughout LS. Think this will be taken into consideration if i ask for it?

thanks.



It wouldn't hurt to send them an email explaining the situation / give them a call to ask. It shows that you are legitimately interested in attending and gives them a bit of heads up on your situation. The admissions office is awesome and definitely willing to work with you. If you say something like "If I get in off the waitlist, I'm coming to Michigan, but I may need to defer a year because I gave my boss my word that I would provide 6 months notice before leaving my job and getting in later than in the next few weeks means that won't be possible before the start date" and you mean it, I think that would reflect positively on you as an applicant. The worst thing that would happen is that they send you an email telling you that they are considering your application, and you are in the same boat you are in now.


Thanks for the advice.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Big Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 am

personally, I think that is poor advice, (and illogical)

When colleges go to the WL, they are under time constraints, (and facing yield issues). The LAST thing that they want to do is to call someone and offer them a spot only to be told, 'thanks, but not this year'. It just wastes their (valuable) time. Thus, IMO, warning them up-front that you will are likely defer to work for another year just puts the app in bottom of the pile; it is human nature to call someone that wants to attend TODAY, not next year.

Just my $0.02.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby wert3813 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

Big Dog wrote:personally, I think that is poor advice, (and illogical)

When colleges go to the WL, they are under time constraints, (and facing yield issues). The LAST thing that they want to do is to call someone and offer them a spot only to be told, 'thanks, but not this year'. It just wastes their (valuable) time. Thus, IMO, warning them up-front that you will are likely defer to work for another year just puts the app in bottom of the pile; it is human nature to call someone that wants to attend TODAY, not next year.

Just my $0.02.


TCR is tough shit for your boss. You did your best. Now you have a better opportunity and you are taking it. 6 months is a long time for notice, it is a great market for him to find a replacement. People leave jobs all the time to better their lives. People don't get that upset by it.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

wert3813 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:personally, I think that is poor advice, (and illogical)

When colleges go to the WL, they are under time constraints, (and facing yield issues). The LAST thing that they want to do is to call someone and offer them a spot only to be told, 'thanks, but not this year'. It just wastes their (valuable) time. Thus, IMO, warning them up-front that you will are likely defer to work for another year just puts the app in bottom of the pile; it is human nature to call someone that wants to attend TODAY, not next year.

Just my $0.02.


TCR is tough shit for your boss. You did your best. Now you have a better opportunity and you are taking it. 6 months is a long time for notice, it is a great market for him to find a replacement. People leave jobs all the time to better their lives. People don't get that upset by it.

Yep

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 am

Big Dog wrote:personally, I think that is poor advice, (and illogical)

When colleges go to the WL, they are under time constraints, (and facing yield issues). The LAST thing that they want to do is to call someone and offer them a spot only to be told, 'thanks, but not this year'. It just wastes their (valuable) time. Thus, IMO, warning them up-front that you will are likely defer to work for another year just puts the app in bottom of the pile; it is human nature to call someone that wants to attend TODAY, not next year.

Just my $0.02.


I was thinking the same thing. I would not proactively call, I think they would then have less incentive to accept you in the first place. What you could do is lobby the ad comms to try and get you off the WL sooner and show your level of interest in attending. If you are close to your boss, go ahead and explain this situation there too, so if you do get accepted, you can go!

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

wert3813 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:personally, I think that is poor advice, (and illogical)

When colleges go to the WL, they are under time constraints, (and facing yield issues). The LAST thing that they want to do is to call someone and offer them a spot only to be told, 'thanks, but not this year'. It just wastes their (valuable) time. Thus, IMO, warning them up-front that you will are likely defer to work for another year just puts the app in bottom of the pile; it is human nature to call someone that wants to attend TODAY, not next year.

Just my $0.02.


TCR is tough shit for your boss. You did your best. Now you have a better opportunity and you are taking it. 6 months is a long time for notice, it is a great market for him to find a replacement. People leave jobs all the time to better their lives. People don't get that upset by it.


+1. 6 months is a long lead time. Most people do not give longer than 2 weeks to a month !!

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UMich11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

curious66 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:personally, I think that is poor advice, (and illogical)

When colleges go to the WL, they are under time constraints, (and facing yield issues). The LAST thing that they want to do is to call someone and offer them a spot only to be told, 'thanks, but not this year'. It just wastes their (valuable) time. Thus, IMO, warning them up-front that you will are likely defer to work for another year just puts the app in bottom of the pile; it is human nature to call someone that wants to attend TODAY, not next year.

Just my $0.02.


TCR is tough shit for your boss. You did your best. Now you have a better opportunity and you are taking it. 6 months is a long time for notice, it is a great market for him to find a replacement. People leave jobs all the time to better their lives. People don't get that upset by it.


+1. 6 months is a long lead time. Most people do not give longer than 2 weeks to a month !!


True, but he did offer the option of returning after LS to work for him again with the pay reflecting having a JD commenting comp would be comparable to BigLaw. But regardless, i'm looking to leave on the best terms. Even with that, if i work for another year i can pay cash for LS, vs loans. that seems like a no-brainer for me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], canafsa, Long shot hero, lonola, mdu, mudiverse, Rich Uncle Skeleton, xnsch and 13 guests