Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fallingup

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 pm

The personalized note on my acceptance letter mentioned my work experience. I wonder if it helped me get in or if it was just something they randomly picked off of my application to write my note about.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:29 pm

fallingup wrote:The personalized note on my acceptance letter mentioned my work experience. I wonder if it helped me get in or if it was just something they randomly picked off of my application to write my note about.

Mine was also about my work experience and I'm thinking random pickup. It's still a nice thing for them to do.

Postby 04102014 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm

My note was about my personal statement, and she underlined the "very" in the first sentence of the letter haha ("We are very pleased to offer you admission" or whatever). Normally I would say it's just a random thing, but I really shouldn't have been accepted with my numbers, so I feel a lil special.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
fallingup wrote:The personalized note on my acceptance letter mentioned my work experience. I wonder if it helped me get in or if it was just something they randomly picked off of my application to write my note about.

Mine was also about my work experience and I'm thinking random pickup. It's still a nice thing for them to do.

I wonder if they ever get exhausted and start writing "I like how you spell your name," or, "I hear Dubuque is nice."

venus

Postby venus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

pedestrian wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:

I wonder if they ever get exhausted and start writing "I like how you spell your name," or, "I hear Dubuque is nice."

I know for a fact they do.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:My note was about my personal statement, and she underlined the "very" in the first sentence of the letter haha ("We are very pleased to offer you admission" or whatever). Normally I would say it's just a random thing, but I really shouldn't have been accepted with my numbers, so I feel a lil special.

Well random or not, I feel special too. Underlining of the word is consistent across the board.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Just saw that I omitted a small word in the first paragraph of my why Mich :/ Feel like it's no big deal but eh it don't feel good. "Level commitment" instead of "level *of* commitment." Yolo :/

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 pm

LRGhost wrote:Just saw that I omitted a small word in the first paragraph of my why Mich :/ Feel like it's no big deal but eh it don't feel good. "Level commitment" instead of "level *of* commitment." Yolo :/

Fortunately, the same mental tic that makes it impossible to spot these errors when we are proofreading also makes it possible that the adcomm will subconsciously fill in the missing word.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:13 pm

are the scholarship amounts listed on the accepted students site per year or 3 year totals?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:18 pm

pedestrian wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Just saw that I omitted a small word in the first paragraph of my why Mich :/ Feel like it's no big deal but eh it don't feel good. "Level commitment" instead of "level *of* commitment." Yolo :/

Fortunately, the same mental tic that makes it impossible to spot these errors when we are proofreading also makes it possible that the adcomm will subconsciously fill in the missing word.

Yeah, the words were at the margin like "Level (next line) commitment" so whatever. I've posted in other threads that things like this are not a big deal and there's nothing to do about it now anyway. So whatever, I guess :/ tyty I hope they overlook it

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

muskies970 wrote:are the scholarship amounts listed on the accepted students site per year or 3 year totals?

my understanding was per year. congrats!

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Been two weeks since I got accepted and no $$ which sucks because I love Michigan but at sticker....

:cry:

MacB

Postby MacB » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Gisney wrote:Been two weeks since I got accepted and no $$ which sucks because I love Michigan but at sticker....

I wouldn't give up hope yet, there's still a lot of cycle left to come. I didn't get an initial Dean's offer either and then a few weeks later the finaid office called and basically said, "I noticed that we haven't made you a scholarship offer yet. If you wouldn't mind, please send us all offers that you receive from schools that we may be in competition with so that we can review them before making you an offer ourselves."

Not to say that they are definitely going to offer me a scholarship, but it certainly seemed like a strong indication that no initial offer doesn't necessarily mean no offer period. Keep the faith!!!

ETA: I'm also basically in the exact same boat as you. Michigan has been my dream law school for more than a few years, but it would be so hard to justify at full price. Let's wait and see how it plays out!

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Gisney wrote:Been two weeks since I got accepted and no $$ which sucks because I love Michigan but at sticker....

at least you've been accepted. I'm still stuck in the doldrums of a daily status refresh.

sideoffries

Postby sideoffries » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Your post prompted me to check the Admitted Students Website just now. I too was accepted 2 weeks ago and had nothing. There is a $15,000/yr scholarship for me that must have been added recently. Don't lose hope!

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm

MacB wrote:

I wouldn't give up hope yet, there's still a lot of cycle left to come. I didn't get an initial Dean's offer either and then a few weeks later the finaid office called and basically said, "I noticed that we haven't made you a scholarship offer yet. If you wouldn't mind, please send us all offers that you receive from schools that we may be in competition with so that we can review them before making you an offer ourselves."

Not to say that they are definitely going to offer me a scholarship, but it certainly seemed like a strong indication that no initial offer doesn't necessarily mean no offer period. Keep the faith!!!

ETA: I'm also basically in the exact same boat as you. Michigan has been my dream law school for more than a few years, but it would be so hard to justify at full price. Let's wait and see how it plays out!

Your post gives me hope. Thank you. I would withdraw from everywhere and pay the deposit today if they offered me some money.

KanyeShrug

Postby KanyeShrug » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Complete still. :cry:

In other news, here's a cat video that is COMPLETE-ly hilarious. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iFhLdWjqc

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
MacB wrote:

Your post gives me hope. Thank you. I would withdraw from everywhere and pay the deposit today if they offered me some money.

You should inform them of this. It's particularly persuasive if you have scholarship offers from peer schools.

MacB

Postby MacB » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 pm

+1

Seriously, with so many schools breaking script and shaking things up in the merit aid process this cycle (i.e. - Mich w/ my phone call request, GULC w/ whatever exactly it is they've been doing via email this week, haha) who's to say that we can't do the same??

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
MacB wrote:

You should inform them of this. It's particularly persuasive if you have scholarship offers from peer schools.

I haven't heard back from peer schools yet, so I'm going to wait till the first week of March before begging for money with or without offers. I have money from GW and UCLA but I doubt they would care :(

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:07 pm

^VeeD, we're in the same boat - I have a scholarship from UCLA and I would go to Michigan in a heartbeat if they offered me money. I am going to wait a week to see if anything shows up on my financial aid award page and then email them. My partner applied to do a grad program there too and we would both really like to choose Michigan if we could get some kind of break with the tuition.

Rdubs

Postby Rdubs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 am

pedestrian wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:

Dubuque? Were you / are you a Du-hawk?

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 am

Rdubs wrote:
pedestrian wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:

Dubuque? Were you / are you a Du-hawk?

Haha, no.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Is there an accepted students' facebook group?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”