Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
UnamSanctam

Platinum
Posts: 7344
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm going to be in a room full of those of you at 2nd ASW.

curious66

Bronze
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm

uconjak wrote:I put on my app yesterday, got a fee waiver via usps, they sent me the whole package. Personalized note plus two brochuers...at a 168/3.9. I keep asking myself why at this late date? Are they having trouble getting the canidates they want? What % of the class have they admitted?


about 75% offers for the class have been made typically at this point in the cycle for Michigan (per Dean Z). However, they are true to form on fee waivers -- and you probably have really good shot of getting in if they sent you one (I got one and was accepted pretty quickly back in Nov and our stats are similar).

az21833

Silver
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

curious66 wrote:
uconjak wrote:I put on my app yesterday, got a fee waiver via usps, they sent me the whole package. Personalized note plus two brochuers...at a 168/3.9. I keep asking myself why at this late date? Are they having trouble getting the canidates they want? What % of the class have they admitted?


about 75% offers for the class have been made typically at this point in the cycle for Michigan (per Dean Z). However, they are true to form on fee waivers -- and you probably have really good shot of getting in if they sent you one (I got one and was accepted pretty quickly back in Nov and our stats are similar).


wut?? 75% of offers are already out??? ****

User avatar
Jaqen

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Jaqen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm

az21833 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
uconjak wrote:I put on my app yesterday, got a fee waiver via usps, they sent me the whole package. Personalized note plus two brochuers...at a 168/3.9. I keep asking myself why at this late date? Are they having trouble getting the canidates they want? What % of the class have they admitted?


about 75% offers for the class have been made typically at this point in the cycle for Michigan (per Dean Z). However, they are true to form on fee waivers -- and you probably have really good shot of getting in if they sent you one (I got one and was accepted pretty quickly back in Nov and our stats are similar).


wut?? 75% of offers are already out??? ****


+1

Is that for this cycle or generally? Link?

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dproduct » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Jaqen wrote:
az21833 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
uconjak wrote:I put on my app yesterday, got a fee waiver via usps, they sent me the whole package. Personalized note plus two brochuers...at a 168/3.9. I keep asking myself why at this late date? Are they having trouble getting the canidates they want? What % of the class have they admitted?


about 75% offers for the class have been made typically at this point in the cycle for Michigan (per Dean Z). However, they are true to form on fee waivers -- and you probably have really good shot of getting in if they sent you one (I got one and was accepted pretty quickly back in Nov and our stats are similar).


wut?? 75% of offers are already out??? ****


+1

Is that for this cycle or generally? Link?


get a gun

az21833

Silver
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:30 pm

everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.

User avatar
Jaqen

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Jaqen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:30 pm

dproduct wrote:get a gun


Probably TCR.

User avatar
rabbitrun

Bronze
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Jaqen wrote:
az21833 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
uconjak wrote:I put on my app yesterday, got a fee waiver via usps, they sent me the whole package. Personalized note plus two brochuers...at a 168/3.9. I keep asking myself why at this late date? Are they having trouble getting the canidates they want? What % of the class have they admitted?


about 75% offers for the class have been made typically at this point in the cycle for Michigan (per Dean Z). However, they are true to form on fee waivers -- and you probably have really good shot of getting in if they sent you one (I got one and was accepted pretty quickly back in Nov and our stats are similar).


wut?? 75% of offers are already out??? ****


+1

Is that for this cycle or generally? Link?


TYPICALLY >>>> in most cycles

curious66

Bronze
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 pm

az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

User avatar
dproduct

Gold
Posts: 4078
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby dproduct » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 pm

curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html


Image

User avatar
WokeUpInACar

Platinum
Posts: 5540
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am

curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

I'm sure this was true a couple years ago, but I just can't fathom it being the case for this cycle with applications being down so much.

guinness1547

Silver
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

dproduct wrote:
curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html


Image

User avatar
jcan91

Bronze
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby jcan91 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 am

guinness1547 wrote:
dproduct wrote:
curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html


Image


+1

User avatar
shifty_eyed

Gold
Posts: 1925
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

I'm sure this was true a couple years ago, but I just can't fathom it being the case for this cycle with applications being down so much.


Agreed. See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=198988

Image

az21833

Silver
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby az21833 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

Wow I can't believe dean z said that. That is shocking.

User avatar
Jaqen

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 am


curious66

Bronze
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

I'm sure this was true a couple years ago, but I just can't fathom it being the case for this cycle with applications being down so much.


hopefully true.. maybe we are going to see more waitlists as schools figure out how the decreased applications plays out for them & then maybe more folks will get off the waitlists this year.. It promises to be a weird ride regardless.

User avatar
bellagio

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby bellagio » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 am

Submitted at the end of October with nothing other than the "We haven't forgotten about you" email. Now that I've seen the 75% statistic (even if it's outdated), I've given up all hope.

Image

User avatar
Jaqen

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 am

bellagio wrote:Submitted at the end of October with nothing other than the "We haven't forgotten about you" email. Now that I've seen the 75% statistic (even if it's outdated), I've given up all hope.

[img]sad[/img]


I submitted at the beginning of November and I didn't even get the "we haven't forgotten about you" email.

I guess they have forgotten about me.

User avatar
gingerbreadsmouse

Bronze
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby gingerbreadsmouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
curious66 wrote:
az21833 wrote:everybody calm down. surely poster was mistaken.



Ok. here is why I said this. .this is from Dean Z:

When to Apply:

As admissions are rolling, applicants are encouraged to “apply as early as you can submit a good, careful application,“ Dean Zearfoss said. “For Michigan, I would consider anyone who submits prior to mid-December as being ‘early’ in the process. In contrast, people who submit in late January and beyond are submitting at the tail end, when we have made about 75% of our decisions, and seats are becoming more scarce.”

Link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-law-school.html

I'm sure this was true a couple years ago, but I just can't fathom it being the case for this cycle with applications being down so much.


Agreed. See http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=198988

Image

She is insane

fallingup

Bronze
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby fallingup » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 am

They're talking about apps SUBMITTED (not complete) in LATE January or FEBRUARY (not the beginning of January). Jesus Christ. Of COURSE the majority of decisions are made before late January or February applicants are looked at. This is nothing we didn't already know.

curious66

Bronze
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby curious66 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am

fallingup wrote:They're talking about apps SUBMITTED (not complete) in LATE January or FEBRUARY (not the beginning of January). Jesus Christ. Of COURSE the majority of decisions are made before late January or February applicants are looked at. This is nothing we didn't already know.


Good point, this is true for most top schools also..

Chaucer1343

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Chaucer1343 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am

Submitted 1/4, and just went complete (1/24)

mm3456

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby mm3456 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Submitted 11/30, compete 12/20, and admitted last week 1/17!

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10242
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 pm

does Michigan ever update status checker from "Complete" to a decision mid-day? For some reason I really thought I'd hear back this week.. ;/



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jean218 and 9 guests