Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JayJones78

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 pm

just had a very annoying and to some degree degrding experience with UMich admissions.

I called to check about visiting the schools and if the fact that I will visit the school will go into my file and if the person I will meet from the admissions office will type any notes into my file. So after telling me that "everything is cleary stated in our web site" although I never said I think this will be an evaluating interview she continued by almost making me feel bad for wanting to come visit and spend my money on seein if Michigan is a good fit. "well we have so many intl applicants we can't expect them to come visit" when I told her I dont have extra money but rather take money from somewhere else and put into this trip JUST to visit the school she said "well we have peace corps members who can't even do that" G lady thanks for trying to make me feel like I'm non deserving and pretty much godly awful because I want to spend hard earned money on visiting your campus.

Sorry for the venting I just finished the conv with her and I was like WTF?? Do they really let you speak to people who are going to give you around 200K like that?

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Just checked ASW and got $22,500 per year!! Super excited!!!!

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Are they still doing that thing where you check the ASW and find that your scholly amount has increased?

read2465

Postby read2465 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

JayJones78 wrote:just had a very annoying and to some degree degrding experience with UMich admissions.

I called to check about visiting the schools and if the fact that I will visit the school will go into my file and if the person I will meet from the admissions office will type any notes into my file. So after telling me that "everything is cleary stated in our web site" although I never said I think this will be an evaluating interview she continued by almost making me feel bad for wanting to come visit and spend my money on seein if Michigan is a good fit. "well we have so many intl applicants we can't expect them to come visit" when I told her I dont have extra money but rather take money from somewhere else and put into this trip JUST to visit the school she said "well we have peace corps members who can't even do that" G lady thanks for trying to make me feel like I'm non deserving and pretty much godly awful because I want to spend hard earned money on visiting your campus.

Sorry for the venting I just finished the conv with her and I was like WTF?? Do they really let you speak to people who are going to give you around 200K like that?

one hopes that you posed all of this as a hypothetical and didn't include your name...

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm

JayJones78 wrote:just had a very annoying and to some degree degrding experience with UMich admissions.

This is the same basic point that they make regarding grad degrees - they don't want to give a boost to applicants with graduate degrees because it is not a requirement and that would be unfair to those who don't have them.

That said, neither getting a graduate degree nor visiting the school will hurt you. Just be careful to be extremely polite to everyone, no matter what. Admins do get grouchy after years of dealing with the same questions over and over but you do not want them as enemies.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:07 pm

pedestrian wrote:

This is the same basic point that they make regarding grad degrees - they don't want to give a boost to applicants with graduate degrees because it is not a requirement and that would be unfair to those who don't have them.

That said, neither getting a graduate degree nor visiting the school will hurt you. Just be careful to be extremely polite to everyone, no matter what. Admins do get grouchy after years of dealing with the same questions over and over but you do not want them as enemies.

Yeah, I feel like if she was rude, that's poor on her part, but if schools were to say that visiting gives a tangible boost, it sort of becomes an economic advantage. And everything I've read says that visiting won't really boost you and you may not meet with adcomm anyway. :/ This may be something to do if you're WL'ed or held, though?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm

pedestrian wrote:

I was very polite the whole conversation. I was just taken back by how she spoke to me. The manner and tone of voice were just a bit degrading IMHO. I never stated that I was looking for any sort of boost from a visit. All I wanted to know is if I visit the fact that I took an initiative and came all day way to Michigan (I live on the other side of the county) will simply be out as a note on my file saying something like: "the applicant visiting the school prior to a decision". That's it. I just think that the way I was treated was a bit degrading. Mentioning that some of the applicants are in the peace corps should make me feel what? That I should be thankful that I have the ability to get to Michigan? I just honesty think that the schools don't realize how much applicants build an overall impression on them as they go through the application process. There are night and day differences between different schools' admissions office attitude when approaching them with questions or concerns.

HawkeyeGirl

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm

shntn wrote:Are they still doing that thing where you check the ASW and find that your scholly amount has increased?

I sure hope so! Going from $0 to $22,500 was awesome, considering I wasn't expecting anything! Almost as good of feeling as getting in!

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:I was very polite the whole conversation. I was just taken back by how she spoke to me. The manner and tone of voice were just a bit degrading IMHO. I never stated that I was looking for any sort of boost from a visit. All I wanted to know is if I visit the fact that I took an initiative and came all day way to Michigan (I live on the other side of the county) will simply be out as a note on my file saying something like: "the applicant visiting the school prior to a decision". That's it. I just think that the way I was treated was a bit degrading. Mentioning that some of the applicants are in the peace corps should make me feel what? That I should be thankful that I have the ability to get to Michigan? I just honesty think that the schools don't realize how much applicants build an overall impression on them as they go through the application process. There are night and day differences between different schools' admissions office attitude when approaching them with questions or concerns.

Agreed. If a school has a toxic administrative culture, that is a bad sign for financial aid issues, OCI, etc. When you are picking between peer schools, that can be a big factor.

I was assuming that you were polite on the phone and just venting with us, but I'm glad you kept your cool. I think that it was Dean Z. actually who said that staff occasionally complain to her about an applicant - wouldn't want you to have any problems!

Jacq2212

Postby Jacq2212 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 pm

My file just went complete today, 1/17/13! Submitted on Christmas, glad to see some action :)

ryantw

Postby ryantw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm officially starting to freak out. Submitted mid November, been comple since mid december, and still no word about anything. My scores after looking at LSN seem at least competitive, so i'm seriously wondering what's going on. Hoping i'm not the only one in this boat.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:54 pm

ryantw wrote:I'm officially starting to freak out. Submitted mid November, been comple since mid december, and still no word about anything. My scores after looking at LSN seem at least competitive, so i'm seriously wondering what's going on. Hoping i'm not the only one in this boat.

I'm ED, rolled to RD and still waiting. So i submitted before you. We're out there still.

sitwaitwish

Postby sitwaitwish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:56 pm

ryantw wrote:I'm officially starting to freak out. Submitted mid November, been comple since mid december, and still no word about anything. My scores after looking at LSN seem at least competitive, so i'm seriously wondering what's going on. Hoping i'm not the only one in this boat.

I'm right there with ya... complete December 12. Still no word...

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 pm

sitwaitwish wrote:

I'm right there with ya... complete December 12. Still no word...

Me too.

byehds13

Postby byehds13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 pm

In today!! So if money is offered it just pops up on the ASW? Or is there a specific place on the site? Thank you!!!

calverna

Postby calverna » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm

byehds13 wrote:In today!! So if money is offered it just pops up on the ASW? Or is there a specific place on the site? Thank you!!!

"Mail & Money" in the middle of the ASW, then "Financial Aid Award Information."

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:58 pm

15K dean's!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 pm

I have been complete since September or October, competitive numbers, and nothing. Don't worry about it, sit back, relax, crack open a brewdog and enjoy the ride.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 pm

UMich11 wrote:

I'm ED, rolled to RD and still waiting. So i submitted before you. We're out there still.

I'm RD, submitted in October, complete in early December, and have received no communication or status updates whatsoever since then (except what must be an automated date change int he status checker every single day). I haven't looked at your numbers, but don't worry about it. All will happen in due time

Da1andOnlyPharo

Postby Da1andOnlyPharo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Any ideas of what the Dean's scholarships range from? And anyone know the terms as far as renewability and so on?

Postby 06102016 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 pm

slack_academic wrote:So... I applied early October and the most I received was that "hey, we didn't forget you" e-mail. After being waitlisted at UVA and Penn, concerned that I might strike out with MVP.

:/ if you're a traditional splitter, this isn't giving me hope. best of luck brother

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

oh well
Last edited by jbagelboy on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 pm

It looks like there was some kind of miscommunication. It sounds like you were asking "Hey, uh, I wanna come visit, but you guys will put that in my file, right?" So it makes sense that she would respond by basically letting you know that no, it won't go in your file because it wouldn't be fair to those who could not come visit the campus.

If you actually want to show interest in Michigan, you should go visit, enjoy your trip, and then, if you're waitlisted, write a LOCI that references your wonderful visit to Ann Arbor.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”