Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Xs20 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am

Checking in. Deferred to RD on 12/14.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby ssanonymous » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I doubt I'll get a scholarship offer from Michigan, but, just in case, where does the scholarship information pop up on the ASW? I won't be able to get my acceptance package until mid-Jan, so there's no way for me to check if I got a scholarship offer or not.


Most of the offers have come through snail mail. If you do get a scholarship, you will see it in the "Mail & Money" section of ASW


Thanks. So if the site says, "Offer Package (including conditions of offer, portfolio and flash drive)" and nothing about scholarships, then I shouldn't expect one, right?

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby JesusChrist » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Wormfather wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I doubt I'll get a scholarship offer from Michigan, but, just in case, where does the scholarship information pop up on the ASW? I won't be able to get my acceptance package until mid-Jan, so there's no way for me to check if I got a scholarship offer or not.


Most of the offers have come through snail mail. If you do get a scholarship, you will see it in the "Mail & Money" section of ASW


Thanks. So if the site says, "Offer Package (including conditions of offer, portfolio and flash drive)" and nothing about scholarships, then I shouldn't expect one, right?


I dont think there's anything you can gleam for that. That's the form status for everyone who's been accepted.

Relax, your in. Let the rest happen as it happens.


That's what she said.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby shntn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Wormfather wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Relax, your in. Let the rest happen as it happens.


That's what she said.


Jesus Christ!

He should always post in red, just for consistency's sake.

User avatar
FatcatHobbes
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby FatcatHobbes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Yeah, the acceptance and scholly info come separately. I found out that I got money about two and a half weeks after I got in.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I need some help managing my expectations regarding my Michigan app. Could someone guide me?

I'm 167/3.74, which seems to be right at this year's cut-off.

I submitted early November and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be expecting a WL then? If I do get a WL, can I expect to come off of it?

I also have a general question about the WL, in my case, a WL at Michigan is somewhat likely and I have a shot at WL at Penn or UVA. So, is there a corresponding better chance at my getting off the waitlist at Mich than there is at UVA? I'm sure the answer is yes, but I just want to make sure because someone said earlier in this thread that I'd likely be in here at Mich, even since I have been trying not to get my hopes up too high, all the while checking my status constantly.

Edit: grammar

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm on Mich's ASW and it says "Dean's Scholarship: 22,500.00" is that per year or over three do you think? I can't access my mail to read the official letter so I was just curious, thanks!

User avatar
yarsten
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby yarsten » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm on Mich's ASW and it says "Dean's Scholarship: 22,500.00" is that per year or over three do you think? I can't access my mail to read the official letter so I was just curious, thanks!


It's per year. Congrats!

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 pm

CatFacts, not sure if this is still relevant or if you've made up your mind, but as a 2L (er, now 3L I guess) summer starter, I will say, kappycaft1 is talking nonsense. Having just gone through OCI, I can tell you that having done summer start will not affect your employment chances -- probably at all, and definitely not for the worse.

Most of the employers I talked to didn't even know about it -- they certainly didn't assume I must have been early decision, or a below-average candidate. If anything, it was just some small, kind of interesting, but ultimately not that noteworthy detail of my application. I had a few more classes I was able to talk about, and that third term actually did raise my GPA a bit, but that was basically it.

I and many of my summer starter friends are going to great jobs around the country, and I really don't think when we started school had any affect on that. You're welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 pm

My only problem with summer start is that I want to ride out waitlists that I hope to get on... although I suppose I might not be in a position for that to matter, anyway.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:03 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm

But how would summer start really hurt your prospects? Having more grades by OCI seems like a good thing. Unless there's some kind of misconception out there that students enrolled in summer start are somehow inferior.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby cwid1391 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Unless there's some kind of misconception out there that students enrolled in summer start are somehow inferior.


This. There's a conception that employers view summer start programs as exclusively for those with academic problems.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:26 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:29 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Entchen wrote:CatFacts, not sure if this is still relevant or if you've made up your mind, but as a 2L (er, now 3L I guess) summer starter, I will say, kappycaft1 is talking nonsense. Having just gone through OCI, I can tell you that having done summer start will not affect your employment chances -- probably at all, and definitely not for the worse.

Most of the employers I talked to didn't even know about it -- they certainly didn't assume I must have been early decision, or a below-average candidate. If anything, it was just some small, kind of interesting, but ultimately not that noteworthy detail of my application. I had a few more classes I was able to talk about, and that third term actually did raise my GPA a bit, but that was basically it.

I and many of my summer starter friends are going to great jobs around the country, and I really don't think when we started school had any affect on that. You're welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.

:roll: Urm hrm.... I did not say that the summer-start program would necessarily hurt one's prospects; rather, I said that there is not enough available data to determine such a thing. The only "data" out there is the opinions of students who are in the summer-start program. (Please correct me if there is information that shows a comparison of how summer-starters place versus fall-starters.)


I was responding to your post at the top of the page where you seem to suggest that, because ED applicants were limited to summer start, this somehow meant that the summer program was full of borderline applicants, and also that employers (and others, including, apparently, yourself) attach this stigma to all summer starters (and I guess are therefore less likely to hire them?).

First of all, I know the admissions office makes a serious effort to keep the sections balanced -- even if some of the people who applied ED might not have gotten in RD (which may be true, but it is certainly not true of all EDers). If Dean Z put you in summer start, I guarantee it was not to "send a message" about your qualifications -- she probably just thought you'd be a good fit for that group. I actually know of at least two people accepted to Michigan as summer starters with full merit scholarships. Being a summer or fall starter really says nothing about what the admissions office thought of your qualifications.

Secondly, I really don't think employers (or anyone, really) look down on people admitted to any law school early decision. So what if it's the only way you were going to get in? You did get in, which means they thought you could do the work, and you've been in the same classes as everyone else, so they'll look at how your grades in those classes turned out, not whether your LSAT happened to be two points lower than the RD kid sitting next to you in torts. And I promise, once summer starters and fall starters are all mixed together in upper level classes, summer starters' grades don't suddenly plummet because fall starters are oh so much more capable than all of us.

Anyway, I guess it's true that I don't have any more hard employment data comparing summer starters to fall starters than you do, but I have seen two classes of summer and fall starters go through OCI, and I can tell you based on that experience that your worries are almost certainly unfounded.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:41 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:A) Congrats to all admitted! Huge!

B) Dammit. I submitted on 1 Sep and went complete on 13 Sep and still show simply "complete"....getting that sinking feeling.

Dude, this is day one. These guys are likely auto-admits (and congrats to you all!)...just relax.

(Auto-Admit)

These are so fun to look back on. :|

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby Xs20 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 am

Email this morning:

Image



Image

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??

comeonletsgo
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby comeonletsgo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??


Me! I was wondering what it means.

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby ks2499 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??


I do. That's a little disconcerting - didn't it even update on Christmas?

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

ks2499 wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??


I do. That's a little disconcerting - didn't it even update on Christmas?


Yeah it did! Maybe their system is slow bc of dec score release?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??

Yep. I'd bet the "we haven't forgotten about you" e-mails are coming soon.

User avatar
jubee
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby jubee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
ks2499 wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??


I do. That's a little disconcerting - didn't it even update on Christmas?


Yeah it did! Maybe their system is slow bc of dec score release?


Me too! I had the exact same thought and came here to post/ask. Mine also says jan 2, and usually its been auto updated by this time every day....I hope it means something....

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 pm

jubee wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:
ks2499 wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:Pretty sure I've gone full-on neurotic, but I noticed the always-updated "last updated" section WASN'T updated today!! It still says jan 2 for me. Anyone else have this too??


I do. That's a little disconcerting - didn't it even update on Christmas?


Yeah it did! Maybe their system is slow bc of dec score release?


Me too! I had the exact same thought and came here to post/ask. Mine also says jan 2, and usually its been auto updated by this time every day....I hope it means something....

We're all getting WL'ed

:|




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], lillawyer2, notsolawful and 14 guests