Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Paraflam

Bronze

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Post by Paraflam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

pumpkinpie wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Paraflam wrote:I submitted my ED app on 11/9, but haven't gone complete yet. Does it have to go complete by 11/15 to be considered for Early Decision, or am I ok?
I think you're okay. It took mine forever to go complete. I'm ED, too.
While I hope the two of you are right (I'm in the same boat, ED submitted on 11/6, "application received" email on 11/7, and still waiting for the status checker email) I am concerned that we have to go complete by tomorrow.

From their website, "Early Decision applications must be complete by November 15; all application components, including letters of recommendation and the LSAC Law School Report, must be received by the Admissions Office in advance of that date."
It's a little vague, which is what worries me. I don't know if it means that applications must be marked complete by the university via status checker, or just complete as in everything was received by the 15th.

Also, on the application the ED certification says, "I understand that the deadline for Early Decision is November 15, and that all my application materials must be submitted to the Admissions Office in advance of that date in order to ensure that I meet the deadline."
I think this suggests that everything just has to be submitted before the 15th, but again, it's not completely clear.

When my friend contacted the admissions office about it, he was told "Our Early Decision deadline is that your application must be complete, in our office by November 15, 2012."

Nowhere I've looked has given me a more concrete answer than that. Fingers crossed! I guess we'll find out soon..
Saw that on their site too and I'm kind of freaking out. Hopefully they'll make a push today or tomorrow to try to evaluate the ED files for completeness.

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am

Congrats to all the admits!

I'm ED as well. I submitted 11/5, app received email 11/6, no status checker yet.

djpaa

New

Post by djpaa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 am

Paraflam wrote:
pumpkinpie wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Paraflam wrote:I submitted my ED app on 11/9, but haven't gone complete yet. Does it have to go complete by 11/15 to be considered for Early Decision, or am I ok?
I think you're okay. It took mine forever to go complete. I'm ED, too.
While I hope the two of you are right (I'm in the same boat, ED submitted on 11/6, "application received" email on 11/7, and still waiting for the status checker email) I am concerned that we have to go complete by tomorrow.

From their website, "Early Decision applications must be complete by November 15; all application components, including letters of recommendation and the LSAC Law School Report, must be received by the Admissions Office in advance of that date."
It's a little vague, which is what worries me. I don't know if it means that applications must be marked complete by the university via status checker, or just complete as in everything was received by the 15th.

Also, on the application the ED certification says, "I understand that the deadline for Early Decision is November 15, and that all my application materials must be submitted to the Admissions Office in advance of that date in order to ensure that I meet the deadline."
I think this suggests that everything just has to be submitted before the 15th, but again, it's not completely clear.

When my friend contacted the admissions office about it, he was told "Our Early Decision deadline is that your application must be complete, in our office by November 15, 2012."

Nowhere I've looked has given me a more concrete answer than that. Fingers crossed! I guess we'll find out soon..
Saw that on their site too and I'm kind of freaking out. Hopefully they'll make a push today or tomorrow to try to evaluate the ED files for completeness.
Same here, submitted ED on 11/10. I went to UM undergrad, so already have a UMID and was able to log in to the status checker yesterday, which seemed like a good sign. My relief disappeared, though, when I saw that "Decision Plan" was listed as Regular Decision. Since the deadline is tomorrow, I called the admissions office and spoke with someone about it. She said everything is automatically first entered as RD, then updated when they actually process the application.

As for what you all care about, not my personal predicament, I asked if I would be good as far as the deadline goes and she said they just need to receive everything by the 15th. In other words, it does not have to be complete, just received. I told her the date I submitted (11/10) and she said as long as nothing is missing I should be fine. They only recommend submitting by Nov. 1 so there is time to notify you of any missing pieces if necessary.

pumpkinpie

New

Post by pumpkinpie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 am

djpaa wrote: Same here, submitted ED on 11/10. I went to UM undergrad, so already have a UMID and was able to log in to the status checker yesterday, which seemed like a good sign. My relief disappeared, though, when I saw that "Decision Plan" was listed as Regular Decision. Since the deadline is tomorrow, I called the admissions office and spoke with someone about it. She said everything is automatically first entered as RD, then updated when they actually process the application.

As for what you all care about, not my personal predicament, I asked if I would be good as far as the deadline goes and she said they just need to receive everything by the 15th. In other words, it does not have to be complete, just received. I told her the date I submitted (11/10) and she said as long as nothing is missing I should be fine. They only recommend submitting by Nov. 1 so there is time to notify you of any missing pieces if necessary.
Awesome, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

I originally applied for fall start but now I'm thinking I would be cool with summer start too. Is it too late to e-mail Michigan and tell them I'd also like to be considered for the summer start?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Crowing wrote:I originally applied for fall start but now I'm thinking I would be cool with summer start too. Is it too late to e-mail Michigan and tell them I'd also like to be considered for the summer start?
Exactly what I've been wondering. I'll give them a call now and report back.

ETA: she said that's no problem at all. Just send an e-mail to admissions and let them know to amend your app to include both summer and fall options, specifying if you have a particular preference between the two.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:18 pm

pumpkinpie wrote:
djpaa wrote: Same here, submitted ED on 11/10. I went to UM undergrad, so already have a UMID and was able to log in to the status checker yesterday, which seemed like a good sign. My relief disappeared, though, when I saw that "Decision Plan" was listed as Regular Decision. Since the deadline is tomorrow, I called the admissions office and spoke with someone about it. She said everything is automatically first entered as RD, then updated when they actually process the application.

Awesome, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 pm

shntn wrote:
Crowing wrote:I originally applied for fall start but now I'm thinking I would be cool with summer start too. Is it too late to e-mail Michigan and tell them I'd also like to be considered for the summer start?
Exactly what I've been wondering. I'll give them a call now and report back.

ETA: she said that's no problem at all. Just send an e-mail to admissions and let them know to amend your app to include both summer and fall options, specifying if you have a particular preference between the two.
Great - thanks!

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
hdivine wrote:Were most people who have been admitted so far ED? I have competitive numbers and have been surprised by the lack of response I've received so far -- one admit to Cornell and no word from anywhere else yet.
I was RD. What are your numbers and when did you send your application?
I went complete 9/13. 177/3.9
Haven't heard anything yet. Yield protection? It's a shame; I actually really like Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:20 pm

hdivine wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
hdivine wrote:Were most people who have been admitted so far ED? I have competitive numbers and have been surprised by the lack of response I've received so far -- one admit to Cornell and no word from anywhere else yet.
Haven't heard anything yet. Yield protection? It's a shame; I actually really like Michigan.
Not sure where you applied, but out of the T14 only Gtown and Cornell have been making RD decisions early. UVA just started today and Michigan last week. Duke and Boalt should be making some soon. Chi/CLS/Penn/NW. dont start till January. NYU in 3 weeks.

Hard to tell if Michigan is engaging in YP or not. With your numbers, wouldn't be surprised if they are. If you really want to go to Michigan, hope you wrote a convincing essay

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Just got the email saying my app went complete, phew. Submitted ED 11/9.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm

hdivine wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
I doubt it's yield protection, although it could be. I got in with no Why Michigan and my numbers are very similar to yours. Just hang in there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Finally got my status tracker today. Initially Michigan wasn't really high on my list, but lately it's been climbing (especially as I think more about the COA at NYU or Columbia).

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Finally got my status tracker today. Initially Michigan wasn't really high on my list, but lately it's been climbing (especially as I think more about the COA at NYU or Columbia).
COA is a major drawback for schools in certain areas, of which NYC is the most egregious example. AA isn't exactly cheap, but it's obviously more affordable than NYC.

Also, as a note, I got a very quick response from admissions re: amending my app to include a summer-start option.

pumpkinpie

New

Post by pumpkinpie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Paraflam wrote:Just got the email saying my app went complete, phew. Submitted ED 11/9.
Just got it too, hooray! I submitted ED on the 6th, so I guess they must send these emails out in batches as well.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:24 pm

pumpkinpie wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Just got the email saying my app went complete, phew. Submitted ED 11/9.
Just got it too, hooray! I submitted ED on the 6th, so I guess they must send these emails out in batches as well.
Oops, actually it was just giving me access to the status checker, but I'm still incomplete. What does your status say?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pumpkinpie

New

Post by pumpkinpie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Paraflam wrote:
pumpkinpie wrote:
Oops, actually it was just giving me access to the status checker, but I'm still incomplete. What does your status say?
My status says complete. Hopefully yours updates soon too!

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Got my status checker and went complete today too. Sent 11/4. Fingers crossed on RD decisions soon!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Got my status check ID today. Such a chipper email too.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:39 pm

shntn wrote: Also, as a note, I got a very quick response from admissions re: amending my app to include a summer-start option.
I also got a very quick response (10 minutes lol). I mentioned that i actually prefer summer start now all else being equal. But really I'd be happy with either option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Congrats new admits :) really happy for you guys!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 pm

App is complete, but dunno if it's even worth the cost. 3.1 169 puts me well below GPA median and right at LSAT median. Fucking app fees.

gobears1

New

Post by gobears1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 pm

I applied ED to Michigan - been complete for over a month now. For some reason my status has been updated every day this week but no decision. Has this happened to anyone else? Wondering if it is an indication of something or just part of the system...

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:00 pm

gobears1 wrote:I applied ED to Michigan - been complete for over a month now. For some reason my status has been updated every day this week but no decision. Has this happened to anyone else? Wondering if it is an indication of something or just part of the system...
Date changes daily.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”