Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
totoro

Bronze

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Post by totoro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 am

manti5 wrote:WL on Friday. 176 / 3.64. Applied early Jan. Sent LOCI in mid March.

Not sure what happened here. Did late submission date make that large a difference?
It could, depends on how long it took for you to go complete. I applied in late Jan but didn't go complete for another several weeks ( I'm pretty sure i was part of the last "pile" of applicants, and we were virtually all WL/rejects).

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 pm

nannygoatgruff wrote:ok here's my dilemma. Applied to UM early decision and immediately got accepted. I am thrilled and always wanted to go to Michigan Law. However, I withdrew from other schools so quickly (as is required) I got NO competing offers. My stats are in the lower 25% so I got no money from Michigan.

Is it crazy to go back and ask if there's any possibility of money?? Has anyone ever heard of this? Money is pretty tight for us, and I was so happy to get in, but now as money becomes a reality....
....thoughts?

thanks.
Unfortunately, I think this will be an uphill battle. However, I would recommend you sending them a more detailed view of your finances and why you need help. Michigan views people beyond just the numbers and you never know.. they might be able to help somehow. You have nothing to lose and alot to gain. I would at least try.

bakaaw

New

Post by bakaaw » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Just sent my withdrawal e-mail. It. Felt. Crappy.

Michigan seems like a fantastic place to spend a few years, so best of luck to all of you who eventually attend.
Same!

Really liked Zearfoss when I met her. And really like the smart but unpretentious feel of the institution.

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Kinda disappointed I didn't get any money from Michigan when people with my same stats got awards on LSN.

Lido997

New

Post by Lido997 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Anyone know if the first seat deposit is binding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Lido997 wrote:Anyone know if the first seat deposit is binding?
I would think so. If you get off a waitlist someplace you like/want more over the summer, I guess you could pull out and lose the deposit $. It would be protocol to withdraw the other acceptances once you deposit.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:08 pm

bakaaw wrote:

Michigan seems like a fantastic place to spend a few years, so best of luck to all of you who eventually attend.
Same!

Really liked Zearfoss when I met her. And really like the smart but unpretentious feel of the institution.
I do too.. but saying out loud that the institution ambience is unpretentious made them sound pretentious.

nannygoatgruff

New

Post by nannygoatgruff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 pm

nannygoatgruff wrote:
ok here's my dilemma. Applied to UM early decision and immediately got accepted. I am thrilled and always wanted to go to Michigan Law. However, I withdrew from other schools so quickly (as is required) I got NO competing offers. My stats are in the lower 25% so I got no money from Michigan.

Is it crazy to go back and ask if there's any possibility of money?? Has anyone ever heard of this? Money is pretty tight for us, and I was so happy to get in, but now as money becomes a reality....
....thoughts?

thanks.

I wish you could do what I did. I went home, then I searched for the COA info, I made a spreadsheet of law school related expenses, and then I applied for Mom and Dad's scholarship. I got 160k interest free loans!

Love it! Very cool--I am sure your parents look at it as an investment! congrats to you--and thanks to all who offered advice. :D

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 pm

nannygoatgruff wrote:nannygoatgruff wrote:
ok here's my dilemma. Applied to UM early decision and immediately got accepted. I am thrilled and always wanted to go to Michigan Law. However, I withdrew from other schools so quickly (as is required) I got NO competing offers. My stats are in the lower 25% so I got no money from Michigan.

....thoughts?

thanks.

I wish you could do what I did. I went home, then I searched for the COA info, I made a spreadsheet of law school related expenses, and then I applied for Mom and Dad's scholarship. I got 160k interest free loans!

Love it! Very cool--I am sure your parents look at it as an investment! congrats to you--and thanks to all who offered advice. :D
Thanks... I'm still not too thrilled about my parents spending all this money on me. Good luck to you too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

qwertyboard wrote:

....thoughts?

thanks.

Thanks... I'm still not too thrilled about my parents spending all this money on me. Good luck to you too!
#firstworldproblems

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:

....thoughts?

thanks.

#firstworldproblems
Ya......

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:33 am

Just withdrew my application and freed up $67,500 that will hopefully go to a deserving TLS-er. Michigan's a cool school, but it's not for me.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 pm

What's everybody's opinion on sending a second LOCI? It would revolve around a specific recent accomplishment. Part 2: Should it be one paragraph or am I allowed a page? I want to be concise, but one paragraph is tough in this particular situation.

(I'm on the WL)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LeeAdama

New

Post by LeeAdama » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:What's everybody's opinion on sending a second LOCI? It would revolve around a specific recent accomplishment. Part 2: Should it be one paragraph or am I allowed a page? I want to be concise, but one paragraph is tough in this particular situation.

(I'm on the WL)
I say go for the full page. Good luck.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:59 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:What's everybody's opinion on sending a second LOCI? It would revolve around a specific recent accomplishment. Part 2: Should it be one paragraph or am I allowed a page? I want to be concise, but one paragraph is tough in this particular situation.

(I'm on the WL)
I was WL 2 months ago and did an LOCI shortly after that notice, and another one 2 weeks ago. Both were about a page long. the most recent was updated information and about my continued interest to attend UMich

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:31 pm

UMich11 wrote:

(I'm on the WL)
I was WL 2 months ago and did an LOCI shortly after that notice, and another one 2 weeks ago. Both were about a page long. the most recent was updated information and about my continued interest to attend UMich
I just submitted it to Mich along with 4 other WLs I'm dealing with.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:59 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:
UMich11 wrote:

(I'm on the WL)
I just submitted it to Mich along with 4 other WLs I'm dealing with.
Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:11 pm

bakaaw wrote:

Same!

Just sent my withdrawal e-mail as well. Was wait listed and didn't want to leave my family in limbo longer than necessary while waiting for a decision as my wife needs to start looking for a job and I need to figure out where I'm sending the kids to school.

As you said, however: It. Felt. Crappy. The admissions department's kind response to my withdrawal email makes giving up Michigan that much more difficult. I was born in Michigan and would have loved to return for the University of Michigan. I guess it just wasn't in the cards, though... C'est la vie.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:

....thoughts?

thanks.

#firstworldproblems
lol

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 am

Just deposited. See you Summer Starters in Ann Arbor next month. :D

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm

MacB wrote:Just deposited. See you Summer Starters in Ann Arbor next month. :D
Whoop whoop! Join the FB group :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ht2988

Bronze

Post by ht2988 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm

99% sure I'm withdrawing from Michigan - hope my spot goes to someone here.

MacB

Bronze

Post by MacB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 pm

jackbauer10 wrote:
MacB wrote:Just deposited. See you Summer Starters in Ann Arbor next month. :D
Whoop whoop! Join the FB group :)
Will do! :)

venus

Bronze

Post by venus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 pm

ht2988 wrote:99% sure I'm withdrawing from Michigan - hope my spot goes to someone here.
+1. I just withdrew. Good luck to those waiting.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am

Having to order my football tickets as an Alumni and not as a student because i'm still on the waitlist is such a frustrating feeling. Leg'go UMich...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”