UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 2012Split177 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:IN WITH MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUCH A GOOD DAY

Congrats!!!

Oh my god I'm dying of envy and fear. UVA PLEASE LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU.


+30k/year

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby harveyfan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!
UVA is one of my top choices, and I'm basically done with my application and hope to have it in tonight!

But I have a quick question - how long are your personal statements?
I know that UVA doesn't have a cap on the length. Mine (as of now) is 3 and 1/2 pages, and it includes why law and why UVA sections. Is this length alright or should I try to cut it down some? The first two pages are my generic personal statement addressing why law and the last one and 1/2 page focuses on UVA specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Numbers are 169/3.83

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 pm

harveyfan wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!
UVA is one of my top choices, and I'm basically done with my application and hope to have it in tonight!

But I have a quick question - how long are your personal statements?
I know that UVA doesn't have a cap on the length. Mine (as of now) is 3 and 1/2 pages, and it includes why law and why UVA sections. Is this length alright or should I try to cut it down some? The first two pages are my generic personal statement addressing why law and the last one and 1/2 page focuses on UVA specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Numbers are 169/3.83



If I was you, I'd make your PS two pages. Send a separate why UVA.

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby harveyfan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:59 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:
harveyfan wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!
UVA is one of my top choices, and I'm basically done with my application and hope to have it in tonight!

But I have a quick question - how long are your personal statements?
I know that UVA doesn't have a cap on the length. Mine (as of now) is 3 and 1/2 pages, and it includes why law and why UVA sections. Is this length alright or should I try to cut it down some? The first two pages are my generic personal statement addressing why law and the last one and 1/2 page focuses on UVA specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Numbers are 169/3.83



If I was you, I'd make your PS two pages. Send a separate why UVA.


thanks for the advice! how long would you suggest a why UVA be?

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kingsfield69 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 pm

harveyfan wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!
UVA is one of my top choices, and I'm basically done with my application and hope to have it in tonight!

But I have a quick question - how long are your personal statements?
I know that UVA doesn't have a cap on the length. Mine (as of now) is 3 and 1/2 pages, and it includes why law and why UVA sections. Is this length alright or should I try to cut it down some? The first two pages are my generic personal statement addressing why law and the last one and 1/2 page focuses on UVA specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Numbers are 169/3.83


I submitted 3 full pages and got admitted RD with a 164/3.89. I think the quality of your writing and the coherence of your message are more important than length. Having said that ... if you're uneasy enough about the length to ask this question, your inner editor might be nudging you to take a couple more hacks at it.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks, all!

User avatar
gate08
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gate08 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:10 pm

harveyfan wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:
harveyfan wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!
UVA is one of my top choices, and I'm basically done with my application and hope to have it in tonight!

But I have a quick question - how long are your personal statements?
I know that UVA doesn't have a cap on the length. Mine (as of now) is 3 and 1/2 pages, and it includes why law and why UVA sections. Is this length alright or should I try to cut it down some? The first two pages are my generic personal statement addressing why law and the last one and 1/2 page focuses on UVA specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Numbers are 169/3.83



If I was you, I'd make your PS two pages. Send a separate why UVA.


thanks for the advice! how long would you suggest a why UVA be?


I wouldn't do more than a page. It will be impressive that you've taken the initiative to write it and if you can keep it brief it will show that you are able to express yourself succinctly.

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 2012Split177 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm

harveyfan wrote:Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!
UVA is one of my top choices, and I'm basically done with my application and hope to have it in tonight!

But I have a quick question - how long are your personal statements?
I know that UVA doesn't have a cap on the length. Mine (as of now) is 3 and 1/2 pages, and it includes why law and why UVA sections. Is this length alright or should I try to cut it down some? The first two pages are my generic personal statement addressing why law and the last one and 1/2 page focuses on UVA specifically.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Numbers are 169/3.83


My PS was exactly 2 pages, tiny margins, 11pt Garamond 1.8 space (yes I'm a freak - but it looked good).

I did a why UVA and a couple other addenda - my recommendation would be to make the Personal Statement stand out on its own, including personalization for UVA as you wish (I did personalize the UVA PS but without getting into why UVA or anything).

Then, in the "optional addenda" section throw in the very specific UVA sections. No need to overwhelm them with an enormous personal statement.

Then again, no particular reason to take my advice - I haven't heard anything from UVA since I sent in a couple weeks ago.

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby harveyfan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for all the advice!

I think I'll be cutting it down to 3 pages, including the why UVA section since I use my why law section to transition to why UVA. (12 point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins all around)

On another note - this is not for UVA specifically, but is a 2 pg diversity statement too long?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby danitt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:23 pm

harveyfan wrote:Thanks for all the advice!

I think I'll be cutting it down to 3 pages, including the why UVA section since I use my why law section to transition to why UVA. (12 point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins all around)

On another note - this is not for UVA specifically, but is a 2 pg diversity statement too long?

My diversity statement is 3 pages. From the looks of it it did not hurt me.

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby harveyfan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:24 pm

danitt wrote:
harveyfan wrote:Thanks for all the advice!

I think I'll be cutting it down to 3 pages, including the why UVA section since I use my why law section to transition to why UVA. (12 point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins all around)

On another note - this is not for UVA specifically, but is a 2 pg diversity statement too long?

My diversity statement is 3 pages. From the looks of it it did not hurt me.



Awesome. Thank you. Just wanted some reassurance, haha, since some schools don't really put a limit or give page-limit suggestions.

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kingsfield69 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm

danitt wrote:
harveyfan wrote:Thanks for all the advice!

I think I'll be cutting it down to 3 pages, including the why UVA section since I use my why law section to transition to why UVA. (12 point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins all around)

On another note - this is not for UVA specifically, but is a 2 pg diversity statement too long?

My diversity statement is 3 pages. From the looks of it it did not hurt me.


+1. Mine was 2 pages and I haven't been dinged yet. Though that is certain to happen, especially now I've said it out loud.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 20141023 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ex Cearulo
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Ex Cearulo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm

First of all, congrats!!

Since I'm sure you've piqued the interest of a lot of people, would you mind giving your GPA (or ballpark) and a little background about your WE? If you were asked about the WE during the call, I'd imagine it at least interested them to a certain extent. Again, congrats on the admit!

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Whoah... I got a call from the director of admissions today to congratulate me on being accepted as well as to offer me some merit-based scholarship. I was not expecting this because:

1) My numbers are not stellar (my LSAT is around their 25th percentile)
2) I am not a non-traditional / URM / LGBT applicant
3) I applied RD
4) I did not write a "Why UVA?" statement

This was definitely a good way to invigorate the normally-slow week after Thanksgiving!!! I hope that my results thus far provide some hope to others like me with not-so-great LSAT scores this cycle! :D

FYI: During the call I was first asked what I do at work and why I wanted to attend UVA, but it sounds like they had already come to their decision and perhaps those questions might just have been a formality. Still, it is good to know why you want to attend any school you apply to in case you are ever asked these questions.


You've had quite a good cycle thus far. Congrats.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 20141023 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:06 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 2012Split177 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:31 am

Anyone on here an in-state applicant who applied regular decision? I put my application in 11/15 and my status is still totally blank (i.e. - doesn't say "application complete" or "incomplete" or anything - just nothing under status), likely due to the fact that under "Residency" it's said "status pending" this whole time.

In-state folks - how long did it usually take for your residency status to be determined? It seems the application process cannot go forward until that's determined.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 am

2012Split177 wrote:Anyone on here an in-state applicant who applied regular decision? I put my application in 11/15 and my status is still totally blank (i.e. - doesn't say "application complete" or "incomplete" or anything - just nothing under status), likely due to the fact that under "Residency" it's said "status pending" this whole time.

In-state folks - how long did it usually take for your residency status to be determined? It seems the application process cannot go forward until that's determined.


Look at the top of the status checker. Does it say something anything? UVA doesn't update statuses in the Status section.

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 2012Split177 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
2012Split177 wrote:Anyone on here an in-state applicant who applied regular decision? I put my application in 11/15 and my status is still totally blank (i.e. - doesn't say "application complete" or "incomplete" or anything - just nothing under status), likely due to the fact that under "Residency" it's said "status pending" this whole time.

In-state folks - how long did it usually take for your residency status to be determined? It seems the application process cannot go forward until that's determined.


Look at the top of the status checker. Does it say something anything? UVA doesn't update statuses in the Status section.


Oh, umm, yeah - I totally knew that...

Image
<---- me on the status checker page

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 02889 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 pm

I was thinking of driving down to UVA to take a tour in the next few weeks, partially to see the campus but mostly to have some love sprinkled on my application, though I see on their website that structured tours end on Dec. 3. Any opinions on if a tour would be beneficial (for the love sprinkling) after that point? If not, I might revert back to my plan to only head down if I get accepted.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Checking in; seems like news is starting to trickle in from Charlottesville! Applied 11/8, so still a ways away from a decision, but can't help but feel great for everyone who got phone calls so far! :D

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Br3v » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm

02889 wrote:I was thinking of driving down to UVA to take a tour in the next few weeks, partially to see the campus but mostly to have some love sprinkled on my application, though I see on their website that structured tours end on Dec. 3. Any opinions on if a tour would be beneficial (for the love sprinkling) after that point? If not, I might revert back to my plan to only head down if I get accepted.


Probably wouldn't be horrible to find out when the admissions office or welcome center type thing (if one exists) is open despite official tours ending by asking a UVA student and then taking a self guided tour and stoping by to say hey. Also I believe it is normal to send in a written LOCI after a campus visit around January-ish.

I highly doubt campus visits really matter that much though, so don't be like taking out a loan to pay for the trip.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

I applied 11/14/ went complete 11/15.

168/3.55 so Im guessing it is a reach, but I solicited a fee waiver from them so I figured it can't hurt to try.

hamy
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby hamy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Submitted 11/20, complete 11/26. ED In-state.

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 2012Split177 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 am

hamy wrote:Submitted 11/20, complete 11/26. ED In-state.


Not to split hairs here - but "complete" is separate from when they determine your residency, right? Was that the case for you?

I haven't noticed how long I've been "complete and under consideration" but I submitted 11/15 and just today (11/28) got word my in-state residency was approved.

Obsession reaching new highs...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Baidu [Spider], bleakchimera2, cathy95, KeYe88, lawlawlawzz, lawschoolbound2017, MSNbot Media, potterotter, Pugnax, ramp_999, Rubbishdump, SamTarly and 20 guests