UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:31 pm

dsn32 wrote:Love Charlottesville, saw the school and campus last November and its definitely a top choice of mine! Good luck to y'all, I'm sure I'll be pretty active on this thread!

I'm planning on visiting mid-September, but my ED decision might be in before I get there :|

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:44 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Checking in.

I'm jealous of all y'all with waivers. I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in October. Do schools give waivers that late?


Absolutely. I took the October LSAT and got a UVA waiver. You can expect your inbox to get flooded with them as soon as you get your score.

Anyway, I got accepted here last cycle and deferred my enrollment for a year, so best of luck to all of you and I hope to see some of you in Charlottesville next summer.

Unrelated note: I like your tar

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Dr. Filth » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:49 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
dsn32 wrote:Love Charlottesville, saw the school and campus last November and its definitely a top choice of mine! Good luck to y'all, I'm sure I'll be pretty active on this thread!

I'm planning on visiting mid-September, but my ED decision might be in before I get there :|

I would suggest holding off on submitting until your visit would be in the 15 day window and making sure you let them know you are coming on a certain day. I remember reading on here that people have been told, in person, that they were accepted during a visit. That is unless you HAVE to know as soon as you can. I would totally understand if that is the case.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
dsn32 wrote:Love Charlottesville, saw the school and campus last November and its definitely a top choice of mine! Good luck to y'all, I'm sure I'll be pretty active on this thread!

I'm planning on visiting mid-September, but my ED decision might be in before I get there :|

I would suggest holding off on submitting until your visit would be in the 15 day window and making sure you let them know you are coming on a certain day. I remember reading on here that people have been told, in person, that they were accepted during a visit. That is unless you HAVE to know as soon as you can. I would totally understand if that is the case.

I don't HAVE to know by any date, but the problem is that if I go out there it would be on a weekend and likely when the admissions office is closed (I have class every day from 8-12 and I know specifically that the Fridays in September I cannot miss class). I'm trying to get excused from all 4 hours on Friday the 14th (the courses I'm taking in the fall aren't the type I can skip without being excused) so I can fly down that morning and meet with them in the afternoon. Hopefully it'll work out and I'll email admission notifying them that I'm stopping by on the 14th.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:31 am

Just noticed on the UVA website that applicants to the JD/MBA program can chose to submit GMAT scores instead. Not sure if UVA has allowed that in the past, but if this is new that's pretty cool for people interested in that program!

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:25 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Checking in.

I'm jealous of all y'all with waivers. I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in October. Do schools give waivers that late?


Absolutely. I took the October LSAT and got a UVA waiver. You can expect your inbox to get flooded with them as soon as you get your score.

Anyway, I got accepted here last cycle and deferred my enrollment for a year, so best of luck to all of you and I hope to see some of you in Charlottesville next summer.


Awesome. Thanks!


shadowofjazz wrote:Just noticed on the UVA website that applicants to the JD/MBA program can chose to submit GMAT scores instead. Not sure if UVA has allowed that in the past, but if this is new that's pretty cool for people interested in that program!


Yeah that's neat.

BosKX8
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BosKX8 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 am

.
Last edited by BosKX8 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby moonman157 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 am

BosKX8 wrote:Hi all! This is my first official forum post after many years of casual lurking... but I plan on applying ED to UVA this fall. Quick (and potentially very stupid) question. Does anyone think there would be any downside to appying at the absolute first second (aka 9AM, September 1)? This had been my plan all along but now I'm starting to get cold feet, and am wondering if it would make sense to wait a week or two to avoid being part of the inevitable flood of apps the admin office will be receiving those first few days. Any thoughts?


The only downside I can see is if your application still isn't as polished as it could be. If you still feel like there is work to do some September 1st, be it on your PS or whatnot, then I think waiting a week or two would be more beneficial. However, if everything is complete, and you're satisfied, then I don't see the harm in applying right away. Other posters may have other insights though.

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rglifberg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Is UVA as holistic as their website makes it seem?

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 pm

rglifberg wrote:Is UVA as holistic as their website makes it seem?

I don't think any school is as holistic as they claim to be.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
rglifberg wrote:Is UVA as holistic as their website makes it seem?

I don't think any school is as holistic as they claim to be.

This.

A bad PS or bad LORs will hurt your chances of admission no matter what your numbers are.
A good PS / good LORs will only help if your numbers are borderline - if you are not borderline, a good PS / good LORs might net some $$ if you have strong numbers.
An average PS / average LORs will probably have no plus or minus effect and your numbers will largely determine your admission (admit if good, deny if bad, WL if meh or if too good).

So holistic in that^ sense.

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Just » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:06 am

If I haven't visited Charlottesville, should I not write about it?
Any suggestions on the why UVA essay?

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 am

Just wrote:If I haven't visited Charlottesville, should I not write about it?
Any suggestions on the why UVA essay?

Clinics, journals, and anything that interests you about UVA. I know a few people have mentioned they wrote about the softball.

User avatar
AllDangle
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby AllDangle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 am

Is anyone who is ED'ing writing a Why UVA essay? I have read and been told that there is no need in that case because ED is the ultimate indicator of interest. Also, has anyone heard if the new medians were released at orientation yesterday?

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 am

AllDangle wrote:Is anyone who is ED'ing writing a Why UVA essay? I have read and been told that there is no need in that case because ED is the ultimate indicator of interest. Also, has anyone heard if the new medians were released at orientation yesterday?

I'm writing one, and I think jazz is too. They don't take long to write, and it isn't like writing one will hurt you. And maybe it can help.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Is anyone who is ED'ing writing a Why UVA essay? I have read and been told that there is no need in that case because ED is the ultimate indicator of interest. Also, has anyone heard if the new medians were released at orientation yesterday?

I'm writing one, and I think jazz is too. They don't take long to write, and it isn't like writing one will hurt you. And maybe it can help.
Yup, I am writing one even though I'm ED'ing. I mention softball too.

culturaln
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby culturaln » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 am

FYI: UVA put up some of its new numbers today (Class 2015).

Medians: 170, 3.87
Class size: 358.
Applicants: 6,100.

No change in LSAT, GPA up by 0.01, class basically unchanged in size (+1), over 1,000 fewer apps.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ss2015.htm

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 am

culturaln wrote:FYI: UVA put up some of its new numbers today (Class 2015).

Medians: 170, 3.87
Class size: 358.
Applicants: 6,100.

No change in LSAT, GPA up by 0.01, class basically unchanged in size (+1), over 1,000 fewer apps.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ss2015.htm
Medians may have stayed largely the same, but it might be interesting to see what the 25th-75th range is for the c/o 2015.

culturaln
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby culturaln » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
culturaln wrote:FYI: UVA put up some of its new numbers today (Class 2015).

Medians: 170, 3.87
Class size: 358.
Applicants: 6,100.

No change in LSAT, GPA up by 0.01, class basically unchanged in size (+1), over 1,000 fewer apps.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ss2015.htm
Medians may have stayed largely the same, but it might be interesting to see what the 25th-75th range is for the c/o 2015.


Apparently the 25-75th for GPA actually shrank (3.53-3.93 for 2015 v.3.49-3.94 last year), though the LSAT range fell by a point on the low end (164-171 v. 165-171).

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... lass15.htm

User avatar
kingjones59
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kingjones59 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:31 am

Hey guys... defferred from last year. As you can tell, pretty excited even though it is still just under a year away. I was 3.96/165 ED. No why UVA- sent in my ED contract the last week of september and got the call in two days.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 06102016 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:07 pm

..

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:51 pm

kingjones59 wrote:Hey guys... defferred from last year. As you can tell, pretty excited even though it is still just under a year away. I was 3.96/165 ED. No why UVA- sent in my ED contract the last week of september and got the call in two days.
Congrats on the acceptance last cycle and hopefully I'll see you next year in Charlottesville if things go smoothly in September!

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Checking in, as I am with most of the lower T14.

pdeturk
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pdeturk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Checking in, as I am with most of the lower T14.



This. Checking in

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Hey if you guys have any questions about applying to UVA or need something to write about for a Why UVA or something, just PM me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”