UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dr. Filth

Re: UVA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:49 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
voytek wrote:Checking in. Nice choice for the fall pic of charlottesville. Doesn't get better than that.

I thought so too :)

Any others out there doing ED?

Hi!

When are you going to be submitting yours? I'm still working on my essays. (I haven't started 8) ) I have my PS sketched out though.

September 1st at 9 am! I have everything all set except for my Why UVA (which I am writing right now-ish).

Are you for sure doing ED? Good luck. I bet you hear back with an acceptance right away. I'd be happy to take a look at your Why UVa if you want. I think I'm going to start mine today.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Any advice for solid Why x essays? Based on advice I've seen elsewhere

DOs:
-mention specific classes/clinicals/programs/etc. that you are interested in
-mention why the school/area would be a good fit for you personally and career-wise

DONT:
-make general statements about desire to attend law school
-make general statement about going to a good law school w/ good career prospects.

In sum, be specific.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:53 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:Any advice for solid Why x essays? Based on advice I've seen elsewhere

DOs:
-mention why the school/area would be a good fit for you personally and career-wise

DONT:
-make general statement about going to a good law school w/ good career prospects.

In sum, be specific.

I plan on talking about the health law program and clinics, the business law program and clinics, and - most importantly - softball.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:Any advice for solid Why x essays? Based on advice I've seen elsewhere

DOs:

DONT:

In sum, be specific.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. I'm also going to point out why I think I would be a good fit for them, not just why they are a good fit for me.

Gotta mention softball too. (edit: SCOOOOPED)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Got my merit-based waiver today!

--ImageRemoved--

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Got my merit-based waiver today!

--ImageRemoved--

Did you request it or was it unsolicited?

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:44 pm

I requested one and got it.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:I requested one and got it.

Thanks!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I also requested and heard back about 12 hours later. You go UVA.

culturaln

Postby culturaln » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Just checking in.

Also: requested a fee waiver and got one in 2 minutes (says gmail). I just love this school.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:49 pm

So you just email admissions and say you would like to apply and ask for a fee waiver?

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:54 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:So you just email admissions and say you would like to apply and ask for a fee waiver?

Yup!

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:03 pm

danitt wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:So you just email admissions and say you would like to apply and ask for a fee waiver?

Yup!

For reference, I did this 3-4 weeks ago and got a fee waiver within a week (I think they weren't looking at 2013 stuff yet). Here's my email:
shadowofjazz wrote:Dear University of Virginia School of Law Office of Admissions,

My name is shadowofjazz and I am interested in applying to the University of Virginia School of Law for Fall 2013 admission. I am trying to apply to a wide breadth of schools. Unfortunately, high application fees at many schools are currently limiting the number of schools to which I can apply. I am wondering whether UVA Law offers merit based fee waivers. My information is as follows:

LSAT: XXX
LSAC GPA: Y.YY
LSAC#: LXXXXXXXX

Once again, I am very interested in applying to the University of Virginia School of Law this fall. If you require any additional information, please let me know. Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

shadowofjazz
and their response:
Virginia Law Admissions wrote:shadowofjazz,

We are happy to waive your application fee. When you apply to UVA Law online through LSAC (after Sept. 1st), please use the following application fee waiver code:

################

Let me know if there is any problem.

Thank you for your interest in UVA law. We look forward to seeing your application.

Jason

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Law

I led my email with my LSAT because it was well above their median while my GPA is well below their median. Please don't copy this verbatim, just adjust your email accordingly!

culturaln

Postby culturaln » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:14 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
danitt wrote:

Yup!

For reference, I did this 3-4 weeks ago and got a fee waiver within a week (I think they weren't looking at 2013 stuff yet). Here's my email:
shadowofjazz wrote:Dear University of Virginia School of Law Office of Admissions,

My name is shadowofjazz and I am interested in applying to the University of Virginia School of Law for Fall 2013 admission. I am trying to apply to a wide breadth of schools. Unfortunately, high application fees at many schools are currently limiting the number of schools to which I can apply. I am wondering whether UVA Law offers merit based fee waivers. My information is as follows:

Once again, I am very interested in applying to the University of Virginia School of Law this fall. If you require any additional information, please let me know. Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

shadowofjazz
and their response:

We are happy to waive your application fee. When you apply to UVA Law online through LSAC (after Sept. 1st), please use the following application fee waiver code:

################

Thank you for your interest in UVA law. We look forward to seeing your application.

Jason

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions

I led my email with my LSAT because it was well above their median while my GPA is well below their median. Please don't copy this verbatim, just adjust your email accordingly!

Ditto, except that I also mentioned my VA residency and the high likelihood of applying under their binding expedited option. Not sure if that makes any difference, honestly, but I thought I'd mention it to them anyway.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:20 pm

culturaln wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:LONG POST

Ditto, except that I also mentioned my VA residency and the high likelihood of applying under their binding expedited option. Not sure if that makes any difference, honestly, but I thought I'd mention it to them anyway.

I mentioned applying under ED (with a short mini-Why UVA) in my response to his fee waiver email :)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:38 pm

culturaln wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
danitt wrote:

Yup!

Sincerely,

shadowofjazz
and their response:

################

Jason

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions

Compared to these, my email was very utilitarian. :mrgreen: I hope they know that I love them.... :|

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
culturaln wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:I led my email with my LSAT because it was well above their median while my GPA is well below their median. Please don't copy this verbatim, just adjust your email accordingly!

Compared to these, my email was very utilitarian. :mrgreen: I hope they know that I love them.... :|
You'll be fine! The philosopher in me tends to be very verbose and with my GPA I have to be as formal as possible. I'm not leaving anything to chance before I send my application in.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:51 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Compared to these, my email was very utilitarian. :mrgreen: I hope they know that I love them.... :|
You'll be fine! The philosopher in me tends to be very verbose and with my GPA I have to be as formal as possible. I'm not leaving anything to chance before I send my application in.

Yea, it's probably fine. I figured that whoever was reading my email probably has 13000 more in their inbox so I just cut to the chase. I have a feeling it really doesn't matter for any of us, but hey, these threads are for obsessing, right?

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Mine was very basic and I heard back in less than 5 minutes with a waiver code, this is mine:

Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:19 PM
To: lawadmit@virginia.edu
Subject: Application Fee

Sir/Ma'am
I am writing in hopes of receiving an application fee waiver for this coming application cycle. I am a military veteran on active duty, my GPA is __, and my LSAT is __. My LSAC account number is L_______, and I will be applying on the first day of applications. 

Thank you for your consideration!

Tyler Durden

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 pm

I feel like regardless of your email, as long as you contact them in a coherent fashion UVA is on the ball with those waivers.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 pm

danitt wrote:I feel like regardless of your email, as long as you contact them in a coherent fashion UVA is on the ball with those waivers.

Agreed

Postby 06102016 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 am

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:06 am

Checking in.

I'm jealous of all y'all with waivers. I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in October. Do schools give waivers that late?

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 am

Jaqen wrote:Checking in.

I'm jealous of all y'all with waivers. I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in October. Do schools give waivers that late?

Absolutely. I took the October LSAT and got a UVA waiver. You can expect your inbox to get flooded with them as soon as you get your score.

Anyway, I got accepted here last cycle and deferred my enrollment for a year, so best of luck to all of you and I hope to see some of you in Charlottesville next summer.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Love Charlottesville, saw the school and campus last November and its definitely a top choice of mine! Good luck to y'all, I'm sure I'll be pretty active on this thread!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”