Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
J90

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby J90 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:As a Manhattan-ite, I agree with everything above. It's a small city with incredibly diverse areas, so you can really find any place to fit in.

And if all else fails, let it be known that Saturday morning brunch at Harry's in Hanover Square is the single best thing about this city. That is all.

Haha tell me more!

What makes Harry's a super-brunch? Is it the price/food options, a champagne/mimosa type deal, or just a really cool atmosphere? Whatever it is, I'll have to take advantage of it!

domori

Postby domori » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Does anyone know dates for Columbia's ASW? I've never been to NYC and if I can, would like to kill two birds with one stone and see Columbia/NYU at once. I think I could figure out fairly quickly if I can make NYC work for 3 years.

Columbia and NYU are about 30-40 minutes apart by metro so you can definitely visit them both. And you should -- they're similar schools rankings- and employment-wise but their neighborhoods are completely different, so it's worth getting a good sense of each one.

Thanks! I want to practice in CA so am currently trying to decide between Berk and NYU...trying to determine if NYU's higher #s and employment stats are worth me living on the other side of the country in a brand-new city. A bit of a scary prospect, but not a new one for TLSers/law school applicants. Who knows, I could love NYC.

I personally love NYC but wouldn't it be better for you to go to Berk if you want to practice in CA?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 am

J90 wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:As a Manhattan-ite, I agree with everything above. It's a small city with incredibly diverse areas, so you can really find any place to fit in.

And if all else fails, let it be known that Saturday morning brunch at Harry's in Hanover Square is the single best thing about this city. That is all.

Haha tell me more!

What makes Harry's a super-brunch? Is it the price/food options, a champagne/mimosa type deal, or just a really cool atmosphere? Whatever it is, I'll have to take advantage of it!

he's trying to make you poor on your first visit to nyc.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Does anyone know dates for Columbia's ASW? I've never been to NYC and if I can, would like to kill two birds with one stone and see Columbia/NYU at once. I think I could figure out fairly quickly if I can make NYC work for 3 years.

Columbia and NYU are about 30-40 minutes apart by metro so you can definitely visit them both. And you should -- they're similar schools rankings- and employment-wise but their neighborhoods are completely different, so it's worth getting a good sense of each one.

Thanks! I want to practice in CA so am currently trying to decide between Berk and NYU...trying to determine if NYU's higher #s and employment stats are worth me living on the other side of the country in a brand-new city. A bit of a scary prospect, but not a new one for TLSers/law school applicants. Who knows, I could love NYC.

I'm from LA, currently live in NYC and I think the two are pretty much dead even as cities when you consider stuff to do, cost, natural beauty, etc., but most people will come down HARD on which one they like more. Some people love the fast paced NYC lifestyle, the easy public transportation, the "canyons" of skyscrapers. Some, like me, prefer good weather, laid-back people, incredible mountains and beaches and the comfort of your car. There's no right answer and there's only one way to find out -- visit!

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 am

domori wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:

I personally love NYC but wouldn't it be better for you to go to Berk if you want to practice in CA?

I think if I got into Columbia it's tough to decide between that and Berk. I don't know. They seem to be in different tiers.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
domori wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:

I think if I got into Columbia it's tough to decide between that and Berk. I don't know. They seem to be in different tiers.

In the NYC legal world NYU and Columbia are considered to be of equal quality. However, if you want to practice in CA I have heard that the Columbia name holds more prestige on the West Coast given the school's ivy status. Maybe you'll get into Stanford and then avoid having to make the Berkeley vs. NYU vs. Columbia decision (assuming you would prefer Stanford to Berk, which might not necessarily be true).

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 am

J90 wrote:

Haha tell me more!

Oh em gee Harry's is this amazing steak house downtown near Stone Street. Saturday brunches are unlimited champagne when you buy pretty much any food. My personal favorite is the Harrry's Steak sandwich. It's unbelievable. But they also have great omlettes, coconut crusted french toast (yum!), and lot's more. You end up leaving after 4-5 glasses of champagne and some delicious food, and your total comes to like $20. No better way to spend a lazy Saturday morning.

Blah I'm so mad now I didn't go yesterday! And I'm so sad that I'll be so far away next year at Columbia. Right now I'm <1min away from it. =(

mermaid9052

Postby mermaid9052 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 pm

checking in ...

3.74/166
Complete 12/15
URM and Fulbright
Waitlisted last cycle

Good Luck Everyone!!! Fingers crossed for VCEs soon!

ALSO! I was wondering, since I am living abroad this year, if Columbia sends acceptances/denials through email for international students? Thanks for the help!!! :D

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

mermaid9052 wrote:checking in ...

3.74/166
Complete 12/15
URM and Fulbright
Waitlisted last cycle

ALSO! I was wondering, since I am living abroad this year, if Columbia sends acceptances/denials through email for international students? Thanks for the help!!! :D

If I remember correctly from when I applied, you still have to wait for mail. You might be able to call the admissions office and plead your case, but I think they'll, if anything, just say whether or not a decision has been sent and to look for it in the mail.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
mermaid9052 wrote:checking in ...

3.74/166
Complete 12/15
URM and Fulbright
Waitlisted last cycle

If I remember correctly from when I applied, you still have to wait for mail. You might be able to call the admissions office and plead your case, but I think they'll, if anything, just say whether or not a decision has been sent and to look for it in the mail.

The year that I applied, they emailed people living abroad. And, near the end of the cycle, they emailed everyone a PDF version of your letter.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 pm

anyone wants to play the game of guessing when the first wave of VCE will be out?

I say this Thursday.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:01 pm

spyke123 wrote:anyone wants to play the game of guessing when the first wave of VCE will be out?

I say this Thursday.

What do you think the range of submit dates will be for the first wave?

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Audeamus wrote:
spyke123 wrote:anyone wants to play the game of guessing when the first wave of VCE will be out?

I say this Thursday.

Probably before new year. I think last year Jan submits heard back around mid Feb

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 pm

spyke123 wrote:
Audeamus wrote:

I say this Thursday.

Probably before new year. I think last year Jan submits heard back around mid Feb

do all vces come in giant waves lke this or is it just the first one and then a gradual trickle?

im a jan submit so i guess i won thear until feb/march via VCE?

and theres no way to tell from your status checker once they have reached a decision or not?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:51 pm

az21833 wrote:do all vces come in giant waves lke this or is it just the first one and then a gradual trickle?

im a jan submit so i guess i won thear until feb/march via VCE?

and theres no way to tell from your status checker once they have reached a decision or not?

Based on the graph in the OP, it looks like it's one big wave now and then a few go out every single week until the end of April.

Right.

Right.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 am

Think early-mid November applicants will hear back in this first wave?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 am

Teflon_Don wrote:Think early-mid November applicants will hear back in this first wave?

Based on last year, yes.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:47 am

Lavitz wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Think early-mid November applicants will hear back in this first wave?

Based on last year, yes.

welcome to the thread Lavtiz. I feel like this thread is one of the quietest ones out there :shock: well.. I guess that will change once VCE rolls along

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am

spyke123 wrote:welcome to the thread Lavtiz. I feel like this thread is one of the quietest ones out there :shock: well.. I guess that will change once VCE rolls along

:? I've been posting in this thread since the first page...

But yeah, there's not much to discuss since there's no RD activity from Columbia until late in the cycle and there are no interviews like some other schools. Things should heat up soon.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm

May this week be magical! Let the games begin already

tonton

Postby tonton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:May this week be magical! Let the games begin already

Have you been in the Harvard thread? My excitement for the games to begin has turned into apprehension

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm

tonton wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:May this week be magical! Let the games begin already

Have you been in the Harvard thread? My excitement for the games to begin has turned into apprehension

Lol Harvard's been poppin cause of the JS1 tension I guess. I already got Held so I'm not going to look again until April. This should be more clean cut.

MDB408

Postby MDB408 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm

VasaVasori wrote:Keep in mind that ED is being strongly discouraged on TLS this cycle, so the number of ED'ers is potentially affected by this.

Why were ED's discouraged this cycle???

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:15 pm

MDB408 wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:Keep in mind that ED is being strongly discouraged on TLS this cycle, so the number of ED'ers is potentially affected by this.

Because of the decrease in applicants, this cycle was expected to be more favorable, and therefore a lot of people who may have needed to get into a school with ED before had a solid chance of getting in RD or potentially getting offers at other schools that would be better than paying sticker at a school. I came in convinced that I was going to ED to CLS, but I ultimately decided against it after consulting TLS. We'll know soon if I made the right decision

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm

MDB408 wrote:

I'm going to guess it's because this cycle is rumored to be quite different from previous cycles due to the enormous decline in applicants. Because of that, an applicant who several years ago could have EDed to CLS now may have a better chance at cracking YHS and should just ride out RD instead of EDing. Furthermore, some of the lower T14s are going to be throwing around a lot of scholarship money in the hopes of maintaining their median numbers amidst a smaller applicant pool. With all of these factors and possibilities, EDing may not be the best option for some applicants anymore.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”