Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 pm

longlivetheking wrote:anyone saw how a 179/3.46 was deferred by columbia? are the adcoms still thinking 175+ are reproducing like rats?


deferred isn't rejected. deferred probably means they are holding onto this candidate while they wait to see how this crazy cycle turns out. a candidate like that is insurance for their LSAT median in the case that their incoming class ends up being LSAT-weak. why would a school hurry if they have the option of waiting as long as possible to make their decision? it may end up being the case that columbia isn't terribly affected by the drop in test takers and applicants, so they may not need this guy. also, i wonder if columbia really needs a 179 3.46 if their median is 172 and they can get enough candidates with 172s, 173s and 3.6, 3.7s. i question how much of a benefit it is for someone to be that far above the median when they are such a GPA risk.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:00 am

is thiagosplitter calling troll? i thought columbia admitted 177/3.3 last year? and no way is an 'influx' of 3.8/175 going to columbia, harvard/yale would crush them, not to mention nyu eating that pool up.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am

sry, profile listed as waitlist, not deferred, so probably RD

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 am

fallingup wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:anyone saw how a 179/3.46 was deferred by columbia? are the adcoms still thinking 175+ are reproducing like rats?


deferred isn't rejected. deferred probably means they are holding onto this candidate while they wait to see how this crazy cycle turns out. a candidate like that is insurance for their LSAT median in the case that their incoming class ends up being LSAT-weak. why would a school hurry if they have the option of waiting as long as possible to make their decision? it may end up being the case that columbia isn't terribly affected by the drop in test takers and applicants, so they may not need this guy. also, i wonder if columbia really needs a 179 3.46 if their median is 172 and they can get enough candidates with 172s, 173s and 3.6, 3.7s. i question how much of a benefit it is for someone to be that far above the median when they are such a GPA risk.



true that columbia doesnt need a 179 to maintain 172 medians, but if it wants to maintain that 75th its gonna need some 179s.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 am

who knows, maybe the guy/girl had a C&F issue, there's really no way to tell why he/she got waitlisted just based on the numbers. there's only a couple ways to get in but there's tons of ways to get dinged.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 am

longlivetheking wrote:is thiagosplitter calling troll? i thought columbia admitted 177/3.3 last year? and no way is an 'influx' of 3.8/175 going to columbia, harvard/yale would crush them, not to mention nyu eating that pool up.

It's just weird because the profile says admitted to Northwestern with 90K when no other RD people have gotten money.

If for some reason it is real there was probably a major hiccup on the Columbia app (the rest of hers seem okay so far.) I wouldn't worry about it.

I should also add that someone with those numbers is very likely out at the three schools ranked above Columbia, so CLS doesn't feel a lot of pressure to admit people with GPAs like that right away. I know a handful of splitters who got deferred ED last year and were admitted later in the cycle.
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spyke123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 am

longlivetheking wrote:sry, profile listed as waitlist, not deferred, so probably RD


what? WLed already? you mean last year? I thought CLS has not made any RD decisions yet..

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/callygh/jd

profile in question. odd that she's in undergrad and got money from northwestern?

if assuming it isn't troll/flame/fake, then columbia waitlist might be from ED.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:is thiagosplitter calling troll? i thought columbia admitted 177/3.3 last year? and no way is an 'influx' of 3.8/175 going to columbia, harvard/yale would crush them, not to mention nyu eating that pool up.


I should also add that someone with those numbers is very likely out at the three schools ranked above Columbia, so CLS doesn't feel a lot of pressure to admit people with GPAs like that right away. I know a handful of splitters who got deferred ED last year and were admitted later in the cycle.


columbia's that confident people would choose them over nyu?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 am

longlivetheking wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:is thiagosplitter calling troll? i thought columbia admitted 177/3.3 last year? and no way is an 'influx' of 3.8/175 going to columbia, harvard/yale would crush them, not to mention nyu eating that pool up.


I should also add that someone with those numbers is very likely out at the three schools ranked above Columbia, so CLS doesn't feel a lot of pressure to admit people with GPAs like that right away. I know a handful of splitters who got deferred ED last year and were admitted later in the cycle.


columbia's that confident people would choose them over nyu?

At the same price, who wouldn't?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 am

longlivetheking wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:is thiagosplitter calling troll? i thought columbia admitted 177/3.3 last year? and no way is an 'influx' of 3.8/175 going to columbia, harvard/yale would crush them, not to mention nyu eating that pool up.


I should also add that someone with those numbers is very likely out at the three schools ranked above Columbia, so CLS doesn't feel a lot of pressure to admit people with GPAs like that right away. I know a handful of splitters who got deferred ED last year and were admitted later in the cycle.


columbia's that confident people would choose them over nyu?

CLS does have an advantage when it comes to cross-admits with NYU, but it's not just that. They know that later on in the cycle CLS will still be a top choice for these people so once CLS has a better idea of how things will break down they'll still have time to convince them. If CLS doesn't wanna overdo it with the ED pool they'll defer a fair number who they can always grab in March or April.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 am

longlivetheking wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/callygh/jd

profile in question. odd that she's in undergrad and got money from northwestern?

if assuming it isn't troll/flame/fake, then columbia waitlist might be from ED.


Definitely, undoubtedly a troll/fake, and a dumbshit one too. Northwestern doesn't out any aid information this early; Columbia hasn't released any RD decisions, and an ED candidate wouldn't be "Waitlist". And they updated everything 6 days ago..

I wish people would respect the honest attempts by people on this website to obtain information about their applications and legal education.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 am

why would ppl create troll accounts (serious question)? u don't get any fun out of it and u have to put in the effort to update ur stats to troll? seems like 0 up side at all.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:25 am

longlivetheking wrote:why would ppl create troll accounts (serious question)? u don't get any fun out of it and u have to put in the effort to update ur stats to troll? seems like 0 up side at all.


The upside is probably malice towards people towards whom one has envy, or just to fuck with tls'ers who might come off as obsessive or uptight. Or just infantile self-gratification at the thought someone in cyberspace might think you're cool. I don't know pick any.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chickpea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:14 am

TripTrip wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:is thiagosplitter calling troll? i thought columbia admitted 177/3.3 last year? and no way is an 'influx' of 3.8/175 going to columbia, harvard/yale would crush them, not to mention nyu eating that pool up.


I should also add that someone with those numbers is very likely out at the three schools ranked above Columbia, so CLS doesn't feel a lot of pressure to admit people with GPAs like that right away. I know a handful of splitters who got deferred ED last year and were admitted later in the cycle.


columbia's that confident people would choose them over nyu?

At the same price, who wouldn't?



I've met quite a few people who said they chose NYU over Columbia because of its focus on PI. The schools seem pretty different in terms of student body/vibe but they are peers in terms of academics.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Yukos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 am

At equal money I would probably take Columbia, but it seems like NYU is much more generous with aid. I also like NYU's neighborhood and facilities a bit more so I can understand someone making that decision despite Columbia's lay prestige and somewhat better job prospects...

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chickpea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:19 am

Yukos wrote:At equal money I would probably take Columbia, but it seems like NYU is much more generous with aid. I also like NYU's neighborhood and facilities a bit more so I can understand someone making that decision despite Columbia's lay prestige and somewhat better job prospects...


Does Columbia have better job prospects if you want to do PI? Lay prestige doesn't seem like a great reason to make a decision about where you want to go to school.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby banjo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am

Given how difficult it is to get PI work straight out of law school ITE, I think it makes sense to pick the school that gives you the best shot of getting NYC biglaw. Why risk missing out on a legal career altogether? You can try for PI after you have some legal experience.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 02889 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 am

chickpea wrote:
Yukos wrote:At equal money I would probably take Columbia, but it seems like NYU is much more generous with aid. I also like NYU's neighborhood and facilities a bit more so I can understand someone making that decision despite Columbia's lay prestige and somewhat better job prospects...


Does Columbia have better job prospects if you want to do PI? Lay prestige doesn't seem like a great reason to make a decision about where you want to go to school.

Anecdotally, I work for "Big PI" and the attorneys here view CLS and NYU as identical. Going to NYU would not give someone a leg up in PI hiring, just based on my limited experience. That said, I think there are certainly differences in student culture and probably in the PI-related resources at each school's career offices.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chickpea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes, I would imagine chances at getting a PI job are pretty much identical coming out of Columbia/NYU but it seems like the student body/faculty at NYU is more PI focused, which would be a plus for someone interested in that kind of career. I've heard the student body at Columbia seems to be quite BigLaw focused but perhaps that's not entirely true.

I'm sure this conversation will come up again as a lot of people will likely end up deciding between Columbia and NYU.

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby poichi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:11 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/callygh/jd

profile in question. odd that she's in undergrad and got money from northwestern?

if assuming it isn't troll/flame/fake, then columbia waitlist might be from ED.


Definitely, undoubtedly a troll/fake, and a dumbshit one too.


Ethnically Egyptian Swedish international student majoring in James Madison. Looks like a troll to me, but I might be wrong. That stuff might have been edited in now though just to mess with you all now that you spotted it.

User avatar
Jacq2212
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jacq2212 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 pm

I submitted my app December 27th and I haven't received a single email from them yet. Should I email them, call them, or wait?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:I submitted my app December 27th and I haven't received a single email from them yet. Should I email them, call them, or wait?

Check your spam folder and the email on your submitted application.

But then, check here: https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... ion-status
You don't need a login to check your status at Columbia.

whatstheworstitllbe?
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whatstheworstitllbe? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:38 am

checking in.

User avatar
Jacq2212
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jacq2212 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am

TripTrip wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:I submitted my app December 27th and I haven't received a single email from them yet. Should I email them, call them, or wait?

Check your spam folder and the email on your submitted application.

But then, check here: https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... ion-status
You don't need a login to check your status at Columbia.


Not in spam and I checked the site, but they don't have anything on me....I'll contact them since it has been over 2 weeks (3 weeks!!)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], mse2020, Zoe107 and 15 guests