Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
housebro13
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby housebro13 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm

bosmer88 wrote:That little comic might have been funny to me had the imagery not questionably veered into sambo territory.


+1

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Ugh I'm getting impatient for you guys to get your acceptances as well! It's so quiet over in the Columbia Class of 2016 forum. =D

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:02 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Ugh I'm getting impatient for you guys to get your acceptances as well! It's so quiet over in the Columbia Class of 2016 forum. =D


+1 Chi thread is even more dead lol

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm

housebro13 wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:That little comic might have been funny to me had the imagery not questionably veered into sambo territory.


+1

I don't really see it, but removed anyway.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Lavitz wrote:
housebro13 wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:That little comic might have been funny to me had the imagery not questionably veered into sambo territory.


+1

I don't really see it, but removed anyway.


I appreciate you removing it Lavitz. The comic uses imagery that exaggerates features commonly associated with black people. While there is nothing inherently wrong with dark, black skin or thick, bright red lips, the sambo caricature uses them in a way as to demean darker-skinned people. The imagery depicts them as buffonish, cartoonish, simple-minded, and essentially as sub-human. The "black sambo" is a historical phenomenon and has been used in a variety of advertisements, games, household products, etc. I admit that the imagery is not as prevalent as it once was. Still, I have seen the imagery in use in places such as Austrailia, England, parts of the United States, and surprisingly even Japan.

I know you didn't create it, but I'd figure a little background on why the comic can be construed as offensive wouldn't hurt.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:25 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
housebro13 wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:That little comic might have been funny to me had the imagery not questionably veered into sambo territory.


+1

I don't really see it, but removed anyway.


I appreciate you removing it Lavitz. The comic uses imagery that exaggerates features commonly associated with black people. While there is nothing inherently wrong with dark, black skin or thick, bright red lips, the sambo caricature uses them in a way as to demean darker-skinned people. The imagery depicts them as buffonish, cartoonish, simple-minded, and essentially as sub-human. The "black sambo" is a historical phenomenon and has been used in a variety of advertisements, games, household products, etc. I admit that the imagery is not as prevalent as it once was. Still, I have seen the imagery in use in places such as Austrailia, England, parts of the United States, and surprisingly even Japan.


I agree, though I doubt it was done intentionally.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:33 pm

For the most part, when I have seen the imagery used, it is usually with relics or antiques from quite a bit ago. The only current example I can think of is with Japan. I saw indoor slippers that used the imagery. Of course, the Japanese people had no idea why they would be considered offensive. They thought the shoes were cute.

edited

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:53 pm

please Columbia start accepting us!!!!

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chadbrochill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Checking in :)
Last edited by chadbrochill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 pm

chadbrochill wrote:Checking in :)
Submitted 1/09/13

welcome to the wait! :D

User avatar
venus
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby venus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

So it seems like December LSAT takers were down again by a lot. This gives me some hope even with my low LSAT score :)
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... stered.asp

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:22 pm

venus wrote:So it seems like December LSAT takers were down again by a lot. This gives me some hope even with my low LSAT score :)
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... stered.asp


things are getting int

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm

venus wrote:So it seems like December LSAT takers were down again by a lot. This gives me some hope even with my low LSAT score :)
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... stered.asp

Either medians are going to drop, or Columbia's going to have to dole out serious money to entice people away from YHS... no better time to apply than right now, I guess.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

chadbrochill wrote:Checking in :)
Submitted 1/09/13


I submitted 1/08/13! We can wait together

User avatar
starrydreamz3
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
venus wrote:So it seems like December LSAT takers were down again by a lot. This gives me some hope even with my low LSAT score :)
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... stered.asp

Either medians are going to drop, or Columbia's going to have to dole out serious money to entice people away from YHS... no better time to apply than right now, I guess.


Bah wish I had applied during this cycle, probably could have gotten more money! (Maybe not from Columbia, but other places for sure!)

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spyke123 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 pm

when do you guys think the first wave of VCE will arrive? week of 28th?

User avatar
bob loblaw11
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bob loblaw11 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm

harveyfan wrote:
HarveyFan, any update on this?


I got my complete email late last night. Hopefully yours rolls in soon, or you should just email them to expedite the process!


Took your advice and just went complete. Ah!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:
harveyfan wrote:
HarveyFan, any update on this?


I got my complete email late last night. Hopefully yours rolls in soon, or you should just email them to expedite the process!


Took your advice and just went complete. Ah!

Hey all --I'm in a similar boat, submitted 1/3 and still completion pending, though it looks like they have all the components of my app. How long did you guys wait before emailing them?

User avatar
bananapudding88
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

ph5354a wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:
harveyfan wrote:
HarveyFan, any update on this?


I got my complete email late last night. Hopefully yours rolls in soon, or you should just email them to expedite the process!


Took your advice and just went complete. Ah!

Hey all --I'm in a similar boat, submitted 1/3 and still completion pending, though it looks like they have all the components of my app. How long did you guys wait before emailing them?


Submitted 12/18, only got the "Complete" email from them last night. Didn't email them since it seems they usually take a while.

User avatar
bob loblaw11
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bob loblaw11 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 pm

ph5354a, I'd wait in your case. Their website says allow "at least" two weeks so I gave them closer to four with the holidays. Good luck, I hope it moves quickly for you.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:ph5354a, I'd wait in your case. Their website says allow "at least" two weeks so I gave them closer to four with the holidays. Good luck, I hope it moves quickly for you.


Submitted 12/18, only got the "Complete" email from them last night. Didn't email them since it seems they usually take a while.


Thank you both! I'll settle in for the long haul.

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spyke123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 pm

ph5354a wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:ph5354a, I'd wait in your case. Their website says allow "at least" two weeks so I gave them closer to four with the holidays. Good luck, I hope it moves quickly for you.


Submitted 12/18, only got the "Complete" email from them last night. Didn't email them since it seems they usually take a while.


Thank you both! I'll settle in for the long haul.



hmm thats odd.. i went complete within a day or two of submitting..

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm

spyke123 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:ph5354a, I'd wait in your case. Their website says allow "at least" two weeks so I gave them closer to four with the holidays. Good luck, I hope it moves quickly for you.


Thank you both! I'll settle in for the long haul.



hmm thats odd.. i went complete within a day or two of submitting..


Update: just got the completion email!
ETA: Columbia has one if the most optimistic, enthusiastic complete emails I've ever seen.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 am

ph5354a wrote:just got the completion email!

Me too! Loved it. After just one week, too!

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 am

I am complete in morningside as well




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”