Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gfd973

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gfd973 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 pm

davee817 wrote:Have any recent admits received their decision via mail? Or should I stop stalking the mailman?

Yeah, received mine on Thursday via e-mail. There is hope yet.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Yesterday a short piece of my work was published in a major national magazine, and I promptly forwarded the citation to the Office of Admissions. They responded within an hour that it would be added to my file. Then, today, I was browsing through Facebook and the specific academic center that inspired me to apply to CLS in the first place re-posted my article on their page. I believe this is a significant development: the center I wish to do research with as a law student finds my work interesting enough to re-post on their public page. How do I let the Office of Admissions know about this without bugging them? After emailing them with the citation yesterday, and a few weeks ago with an LOCI, I don't want to annoy them. Any suggestions as to how I might go about letting them know what's up?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:39 pm

ht2988 wrote:Yesterday a short piece of my work was published in a major national magazine, and I promptly forwarded the citation to the Office of Admissions. They responded within an hour that it would be added to my file. Then, today, I was browsing through Facebook and the specific academic center that inspired me to apply to CLS in the first place re-posted my article on their page. I believe this is a significant development: the center I wish to do research with as a law student finds my work interesting enough to re-post on their public page. How do I let the Office of Admissions know about this without bugging them? After emailing them with the citation yesterday, and a few weeks ago with an LOCI, I don't want to annoy them. Any suggestions as to how I might go about letting them know what's up?

There is no way to say this without seeming a little pest-like. You sent them the article when it was published, sending it again to say "remember that thing I told you I got published yesterday? Well now its been posted on the facebook page of the program I want to do at Columbia." I don't know what this program is you're interested in, but their reposting it to facebook isn't very significant. I'm sure they post a lot of articles related to their work on their facebook page. If you had waited a couple days before shooting off the first email, you'd be able to include this nugget. Since you didn't, I wouldn't send another email unless you had something unrelated to this article to say.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:41 pm

txdude45 wrote:
ht2988 wrote:Yesterday a short piece of my work was published in a major national magazine, and I promptly forwarded the citation to the Office of Admissions. They responded within an hour that it would be added to my file. Then, today, I was browsing through Facebook and the specific academic center that inspired me to apply to CLS in the first place re-posted my article on their page. I believe this is a significant development: the center I wish to do research with as a law student finds my work interesting enough to re-post on their public page. How do I let the Office of Admissions know about this without bugging them? After emailing them with the citation yesterday, and a few weeks ago with an LOCI, I don't want to annoy them. Any suggestions as to how I might go about letting them know what's up?

There is no way to say this without seeming a little pest-like. You sent them the article when it was published, sending it again to say "remember that thing I told you I got published yesterday? Well now its been posted on the facebook page of the program I want to do at Columbia." I don't know what this program is you're interested in, but their reposting it to facebook isn't very significant. I'm sure they post a lot of articles related to their work on their facebook page. If you had waited a couple days before shooting off the first email, you'd be able to include this nugget. Since you didn't, I wouldn't send another email unless you had something unrelated to this article to say.

I would point out also that if they published your article on their facebook page AND you emailed them about it, I'm pretty sure they can connect the dots and notice without being led to it.

also, congrats!

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Held just now.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm

chickpea wrote:Held just now.

sorry chickpea :(

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:12 pm

txdude45 wrote:

sorry chickpea :(

thanks, txdude45. i'm in at nyu and think that's a better fit for me than columbia so i'm not too bummed. it would be nice to go to another asw in nyc though!

swordking90

Postby swordking90 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Columbia's STILL holding people at this point!? Sorry chickpea!

az21833

Postby az21833 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:46 pm

banjo wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Gratz banjo!

Thanks! I think the reserves/holds should take this as evidence that CLS reads LOCIs -- I think a good one can really reshape the narrative of your application. Definitely worth spending time writing one.

YES that is what im talking about man (banjo getting in, not the LOCI) !!!

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 pm

txdude45 wrote:

I would think they could connect the dots...but my sis got a award at USC in the summer of her Jr. Year in HS. they used her picture on the next summers advertising. They turned her down for admittance to the UG program(Fine Arts). by the way she has since been asked to teach as a adjunct a couple of times. She is currently a working actress. Most of you probably have seen her.

Postby 02889 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 pm

How crazy! They're going to make a decision on everyone they've held by April 26, and what could possibly change between now and then?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

02889 wrote:

How crazy! They're going to make a decision on everyone they've held by April 26, and what could possibly change between now and then?

Financial aid is allegedly coming out next week. I imagine their applicant pool could change after that.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm

uconjak wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

I would think they could connect the dots...but my sis got a award at USC in the summer of her Jr. Year in HS. they used her picture on the next summers advertising. They turned her down for admittance to the UG program(Fine Arts). by the way she has since been asked to teach as a adjunct a couple of times. She is currently a working actress. Most of you probably have seen her.

Umm. Thanks for sharing.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

I would point out also that if they published your article on their facebook page AND you emailed them about it, I'm pretty sure they can connect the dots and notice without being led to it.

also, congrats!

Thanks for the feedback, tx & bagel. I agree - there isn't a way to hit them up without getting on their nerves. I did, however, go out on a limb and contact the faculty member who directs the program and manages the Facebook page that my piece was posted on. She was surprisingly warm and welcoming and said she'd love to help, so I forwarded her my PS and the LOCI I sent in a few weeks back. I would be SHOCKED to get in here. CLS is and has been my #1 so I'm trying to pull out all stops before they make a final decision this month.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 am

swordking90 wrote:

Columbia's STILL holding people at this point!? Sorry chickpea!

Yeah, I had the same reaction. Seems odd to put someone on hold so late in the game.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 am

Just thought I'd chime in. Held as well (3/28; Complete 2/26)

bob loblaw11

Postby bob loblaw11 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Any December submitters still flapping in the wind with me?

Is there any value in sending a LOCI when your situation has not changed since submitting an app?

Andkng

Postby Andkng » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Can someone explain LOCI to me? Maybe it's because I'm Canadian - or just an idiot - but I have no idea what that is :( . I'm guessing it's a Letter Of *something* Intent? How do you write such a letter? Thanks!

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Andkng wrote:Can someone explain LOCI to me? Maybe it's because I'm Canadian - or just an idiot - but I have no idea what that is :( . I'm guessing it's a Letter Of *something* Intent? How do you write such a letter? Thanks!

Continued!

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:48 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Andkng wrote:Can someone explain LOCI to me? Maybe it's because I'm Canadian - or just an idiot - but I have no idea what that is :( . I'm guessing it's a Letter Of *something* Intent? How do you write such a letter? Thanks!

Continued!

or concentrated

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169

Lighthouseman

Postby Lighthouseman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Any guess on when we are gonna get some held action?

MacB

Postby MacB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:59 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:Any December submitters still flapping in the wind with me?

Is there any value in sending a LOCI when your situation has not changed since submitting an app?

October submitter here... grrrrrr. I'm not submitting an LOCI on principle at this point. Silent treatment goes both ways, CLS!! :lol:

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

MacB wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:Any December submitters still flapping in the wind with me?

October submitter here... grrrrrr. I'm not submitting an LOCI on principle at this point. Silent treatment goes both ways, CLS!! :lol:

December submitter... but held a while ago. I submitted a LOCI what seems like a million bajillion years ago with nothing but silence.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm

I applied without a second academic LOR 8) . Did not realize that I needed one( the school was such a reach I didn't bother researching much, figured they gave me a waiver to ding me anyways). Anyways they told me I needed another academic LOR but I figured it was march when I heard about that and what was keeping me from complete that they already accepted most of the people they would let in. I found out last week they said I went complete. Not sure if I am bitter they accepted me just to ding me for that extra boost on their selectivity, or if I find it more amusing than anything else. Long story short, I guess I am also waiting.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”