Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Two inquiries:

1) So consensus is that reserved is essentially dinged? Any numbers on how many get pulled?

2) Would a June LSAT be in time to help if still on reserve?

Boom.

annieT
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby annieT » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:01 pm

.
Last edited by annieT on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:03 pm

where's lavitz?


are adcomms getting savvy and hurting people who use TLS?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Damn this thread is catching up to NYU real quick

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:where's lavitz?


are adcomms getting savvy and hurting people who use TLS?


that would be counterproductive. our threads demonstrate our devotion to a quality and affordable law school education! we are the erudite and informed few!

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fruitoftheloom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:where's lavitz?


are adcomms getting savvy and hurting people who use TLS?


I dunno. Just seems bizzare. 3.5 / 174, got in with about 5 years WE.. not from a prestigious university (large public). I posted my PS in the TLS forums and everyone was like "ahh, omg, you need to narrow it down more". I tried to fix it based on TLS advice, it went super south, so I just went with what felt more "me" and I feel like it's gone pretty well for me this cycle.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby banjo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Is the massacre over? Nothing in inbox, nothing in spam.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:10 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:where's lavitz?


are adcomms getting savvy and hurting people who use TLS?


I dunno. Just seems bizzare. 3.5 / 174, got in with about 5 years WE.. not from a prestigious university (large public). I posted my PS in the TLS forums and everyone was like "ahh, omg, you need to narrow it down more". I tried to fix it based on TLS advice, it went super south, so I just went with what felt more "me" and I feel like it's gone pretty well for me this cycle.


i really don't get it at all. you definitely deserve your admission, it just seems that the numbers being held the only explanation can be

A) they extensively look at softs
B) doing a weird YP
C) holding high numbers (not mine, but like, Lavitz/TripTrip high) for when people turn down Hammy/Butlers
D) adcomms are realizing that we are active TLSers and punish us for being them (admittedly, this is probably the tinfoil hat theory...)

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wisteria » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm

banjo wrote:Is the massacre over? Nothing in inbox, nothing in spam.


+1

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chickpea » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

+2

User avatar
Jpreece59
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Jpreece59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

helix23 wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:I went to a Big 10 UG (can probably guess which one), 2 years WE in IBanking


penn state?


No. Clearly she went to either Rutgers or Maryland.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
A) they extensively look at softs
B) doing a weird YP
C) holding high numbers (not mine, but like, Lavitz/TripTrip high) for when people turn down Hammy/Butlers
D) adcomms are realizing that we are active TLSers and punish us for being them (admittedly, this is probably the tinfoil hat theory...)


I think B and C are most likely. They probably want to see what shakes out with their current admits. And as someone pointed out, there are still a lot of admits left for LSN to match up with last year. Maybe they are just being more cautious about admitting people they expect to be withdrawing soon for big money elsewhere or HYS.

User avatar
stone_fox
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby stone_fox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:15 pm

megagnarley wrote:Two inquiries:

1) So consensus is that reserved is essentially dinged? Any numbers on how many get pulled?

2) Would a June LSAT be in time to help if still on reserve?

Boom.


Also interested in this

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wisteria » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

helix23 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
A) they extensively look at softs
B) doing a weird YP
C) holding high numbers (not mine, but like, Lavitz/TripTrip high) for when people turn down Hammy/Butlers
D) adcomms are realizing that we are active TLSers and punish us for being them (admittedly, this is probably the tinfoil hat theory...)


I think B and C are most likely. They probably want to see what shakes out with their current admits. And as someone pointed out, there are still a lot of admits left for LSN to match up with last year. Maybe they are just being more cautious about admitting people they expect to be withdrawing soon for big money elsewhere or HYS.


LSN probably won't be an accurate indicator anymore. The new site is so slow that it takes forever to do an update. I stopped using it, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:23 pm

wisteria wrote:LSN probably won't be an accurate indicator anymore. The new site is so slow that it takes forever to do an update. I stopped using it, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.


How long ago? Recently its been working totally fine for me

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
wisteria wrote:LSN probably won't be an accurate indicator anymore. The new site is so slow that it takes forever to do an update. I stopped using it, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.


How long ago? Recently its been working totally fine for me


+1. it sucked for a bit but it's nearly back to normal speed now.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm

In the name of science and because LSN is not well suited to handle Held vs. Reserve, I offer up this Google doc. Should be publicly editable without signing in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... pMHc#gid=0

User avatar
J_stack
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:27 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby J_stack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Did everyone's hold email have this paragraph in it?

While we cannot speculate as to the final outcome of your candidacy, we wish to inform you that yours is one of a select group of applicants placed on Hold and that you will be given every possible consideration as the season continues.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:where's lavitz?


+1

I hope he survived but it's not looking good :|

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 pm

stone_fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Two inquiries:

1) So consensus is that reserved is essentially dinged? Any numbers on how many get pulled?

2) Would a June LSAT be in time to help if still on reserve?

Boom.


Also interested in this


Someone must know. Damn you all.

And if not, confidently bullshit me!

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:34 pm

megagnarley wrote:
stone_fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Two inquiries:

1) So consensus is that reserved is essentially dinged? Any numbers on how many get pulled?

2) Would a June LSAT be in time to help if still on reserve?

Boom.


Also interested in this


Someone must know. Damn you all.

And if not, confidently bullshit me!


1) naw bro

2) yeah bro! DO IT

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wisteria » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:34 pm

helix23 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
wisteria wrote:LSN probably won't be an accurate indicator anymore. The new site is so slow that it takes forever to do an update. I stopped using it, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.


How long ago? Recently its been working totally fine for me


+1. it sucked for a bit but it's nearly back to normal speed now.


Ugh. It must be my browser or something. It's faster than a while ago now, but still freezes up frequently.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 pm

megagnarley wrote:
stone_fox wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Two inquiries:

1) So consensus is that reserved is essentially dinged? Any numbers on how many get pulled?

2) Would a June LSAT be in time to help if still on reserve?

Boom.


Also interested in this


Someone must know. Damn you all.

And if not, confidently bullshit me!


Who knows about this year but historically CLS pulls few to none from reserve, so yes it's basically a ding. Also I would guess if you're reserved already instead of held you are behind the masses of holds who are mostly also headed to reserve where they will be ahead of you in line.

T20hopeful89
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby T20hopeful89 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Who knows about this year but historically CLS pulls few to none from reserve, so yes it's basically a ding. Also I would guess if you're reserved already instead of held you are behind the masses of holds who are mostly also headed to reserve where they will be ahead of you in line.[/quote]

I am confused about what the difference between reserve and hold is. I was reserved (I am an auto-ding) and it seems from the letter they sent that we get re-reviewed in april/may. Do holds get re-reviewed in march?

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:I am confused about what the difference between reserve and hold is. I was reserved (I am an auto-ding) and it seems from the letter they sent that we get re-reviewed in april/may. Do holds get re-reviewed in march?


Not yelling at you specifically but people have literally asked this on every single page

Reserve = WL, will be reevaluated for further cuts in May
Hold = no decision, will get admit/reserve/ding by 4/26




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, ellielaw, l3g@l33s3, MSNbot Media, notorious_mig, ThorB, vcap180 and 21 guests