Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:52 am

BigZuck wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
spyke123 wrote:The completion email seems to indicate it's worth reading into dates, though:
"We will forward your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order in which it was completed."

which pretty much means.. everyone who went complete earlier than 1/22 got their apps reviewed already... and CLS decided to move on..


Perhaps they go through the applicants in order, separate the auto-dings and the auto-accepts and the 'look more closely' files, and then proceed accordingly. In that case everyone from, say, 12/25 to 1/25 could just have their acceptances shipped out in one big batch while they simultaneously spend some time fleshing out the "look more closely" pile? In that case some people with a 1/22 date would receive an acceptance while the 1/8 person was still under consideration.

That's how I would do it. I'm not an expert by any stretch, mind you.

It makes more sense that they do it this way, given this (LinkRemoved) graph.


Forgive me for being such a n00b but how does one read/interpret that chart?

Thanks for all you've done for us this cycle btw, you're awesome!

Don't worry about it. The graph is a bit hard to understand, but once you figure it out, it's easy. It is a graph of complete date versus the date a decisions was received (based on LSN data, of course). The X axis is the complete date, and the Y axis in the date the decision was received. you can see that a huge wave of acceptances comes out at one time, and then acceptances continue to trickle out for people who submitted early for a few months.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:15 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
spyke123 wrote:The completion email seems to indicate it's worth reading into dates, though:
"We will forward your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order in which it was completed."

which pretty much means.. everyone who went complete earlier than 1/22 got their apps reviewed already... and CLS decided to move on..


Perhaps they go through the applicants in order, separate the auto-dings and the auto-accepts and the 'look more closely' files, and then proceed accordingly. In that case everyone from, say, 12/25 to 1/25 could just have their acceptances shipped out in one big batch while they simultaneously spend some time fleshing out the "look more closely" pile? In that case some people with a 1/22 date would receive an acceptance while the 1/8 person was still under consideration.

That's how I would do it. I'm not an expert by any stretch, mind you.

It makes more sense that they do it this way, given this (LinkRemoved) graph.

For those with high numbers still waiting, there's a fair number of over-both-median candidates who got in March-April with December-January applications.

User avatar
TexasAggie13
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TexasAggie13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Sorry for not posting all of this earlier, I had to unexpectedly go out of town this weekend. Received my admit 2/8. Went complete 11/20, was postmarked 2/5. No scholarship info included and my numbers are only slightly above their medians so based on the last 5 pages of this thread I am assuming I would pay something close to sticker.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
spyke123 wrote:The completion email seems to indicate it's worth reading into dates, though:
"We will forward your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order in which it was completed."

which pretty much means.. everyone who went complete earlier than 1/22 got their apps reviewed already... and CLS decided to move on..


Perhaps they go through the applicants in order, separate the auto-dings and the auto-accepts and the 'look more closely' files, and then proceed accordingly. In that case everyone from, say, 12/25 to 1/25 could just have their acceptances shipped out in one big batch while they simultaneously spend some time fleshing out the "look more closely" pile? In that case some people with a 1/22 date would receive an acceptance while the 1/8 person was still under consideration.

That's how I would do it. I'm not an expert by any stretch, mind you.

It makes more sense that they do it this way, given this (LinkRemoved) graph.

For those with high numbers still waiting, there's a fair number of over-both-median candidates who got in March-April with December-January applications.

November app. Meh, I am caring less and less, though. Columbia is prohibitively expensive for me. Way too debt averse for anything close to sticker.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Noodley aren't you a splitter? I would expect them to realize they need more 179s later in the app process.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

TripTrip wrote:Noodley aren't you a splitter? I would expect them to realize they need more 179s later in the app process.

Yeah, but the wait still sucks. Also, since I'll be paying sticker or close to it, I'm just kind of letting up in the excitement department.

oscar11cheelsea
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby oscar11cheelsea » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm

applied about a month ago and still haven't gone complete, time to send an email or still within the realm of normality?

User avatar
usafgirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby usafgirl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Got a NCE today! :D :D :D

App submitted early Dec, complete 12/12

Acceptance letter dated 2/7

3.56/176 military officer/decent softs

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bluecouch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm

usafgirl wrote:Got a NCE today! :D :D :D

App submitted early Dec, complete 12/12

Acceptance letter dated 2/7

3.56/176 military officer/decent softs


Congrats!

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

usafgirl wrote:Got a NCE today! :D :D :D

App submitted early Dec, complete 12/12

Acceptance letter dated 2/7

3.56/176 military officer/decent softs


Congrats! Location!?

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 pm

usafgirl wrote:Got a NCE today! :D :D :D

App submitted early Dec, complete 12/12

Acceptance letter dated 2/7

3.56/176 military officer/decent softs


usaf, you are killing it. think you get that js2 this week too? best week ever.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am

I wonder why Columbia is waiting so long to send out the Reserve emails. Last year, they went out on Friday 2/3, a week and a half after initial acceptances (which were on 1/25). This year, we're approaching two and a half weeks.

Please just get it over with, CLS!

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spyke123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 am

02889 wrote:I wonder why Columbia is waiting so long to send out the Reserve emails. Last year, they went out on Friday 2/3, a week and a half after initial acceptances (which were on 1/25). This year, we're approaching two and a half weeks.

Please just get it over with, CLS!


I completely agree.. I want to get this over with already. Checking mail everyday has driven me insane

User avatar
bob loblaw11
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bob loblaw11 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm starting to just get a sour stomach whenever I think about Columbia now. I'd like to know either way at this point...

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby amsong » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:I'm starting to just get a sour stomach whenever I think about Columbia now. I'd like to know either way at this point...


Samesies.

I know we've been over this before, but just to confirm: WL/Dings are via email, right? Or WL via email and dings via mail?

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby djwjddl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

amsong wrote:I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.


don't wanna be a debbie downer, but it won't ever do you any good given the way Columbia's WL works.

sc-123
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sc-123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

djwjddl wrote:
amsong wrote:I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.


don't wanna be a debbie downer, but it won't ever do you any good given the way Columbia's WL works.


Can you elaborate on this? How does Columbia's WL work?

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby djwjddl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

ph5354a wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:I'm starting to just get a sour stomach whenever I think about Columbia now. I'd like to know either way at this point...


Samesies.

I know we've been over this before, but just to confirm: WL/Dings are via email, right? Or WL via email and dings via mail?


WL via email and ding via mail

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby amsong » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm

djwjddl wrote:
amsong wrote:I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.


don't wanna be a debbie downer, but it won't ever do you any good given the way Columbia's WL works.


...Dammit. I wonder if it's too late to submit a Why Columbia. (Kidding. Obviously, it's too late.)

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 pm

sc-123 wrote:
djwjddl wrote:
amsong wrote:I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.


don't wanna be a debbie downer, but it won't ever do you any good given the way Columbia's WL works.


Can you elaborate on this? How does Columbia's WL work?


They waitlist everyone. Then for good measure they waitlist everyone's grandma. No getting off of that bad boy.

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby amsong » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
sc-123 wrote:
djwjddl wrote:
amsong wrote:I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.


don't wanna be a debbie downer, but it won't ever do you any good given the way Columbia's WL works.


Can you elaborate on this? How does Columbia's WL work?


They waitlist everyone. Then for good measure they waitlist everyone's grandma. No getting off of that bad boy.


My 1L friend at NYU is convinced she's still on Columbia's waitlist.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby djwjddl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

sc-123 wrote:
djwjddl wrote:
amsong wrote:I wrote the bestest LOCI ever. Just in case I ever need one.


don't wanna be a debbie downer, but it won't ever do you any good given the way Columbia's WL works.


Can you elaborate on this? How does Columbia's WL work?


it doesn't :D . There are three "reserve" AKA WL rounds. Columbia makes decisions on reserve candidates first in June, then in July and then finally in Aug. In each round, you'll either get accepted, rejected or moved on to the next round. Just looking through past threads and LSN, no one really gets accepted from the reserve pool. Ok, some people do but these are folks (with the exception of, of course, a few special snowflakes) who were seemingly WL'd for YP purposes to begin with.

In other words, Columbia's WL is a slow painful death.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Columbia has the worst admissions process in the T14, hands down.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Columbia has the worst admissions process in the T14, hands down.




yep i'm thinking about withdrawing just out of spite




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: genjustice, proteinshake, Tomthecat and 11 guests