Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Columbia seems to be pretty stingy with $. Is that the consesus view about Columbia on TLS? It seems like Columbia says to most people you can take it or leave it at sticker price.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby smaug_ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Columbia seems to be pretty stingy with $. Is that the consesus view about Columbia on TLS? It seems like Columbia says to most people you can take it or leave it at sticker price.


No.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15458
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 pm

hibiki wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Columbia seems to be pretty stingy with $. Is that the consesus view about Columbia on TLS? It seems like Columbia says to most people you can take it or leave it at sticker price.


No.

I say yes, but YMMV. It does seem like they take need into account more than most non-HYS schools though.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby calidancer2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
hibiki wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Columbia seems to be pretty stingy with $. Is that the consesus view about Columbia on TLS? It seems like Columbia says to most people you can take it or leave it at sticker price.


No.

I say yes, but YMMV. It does seem like they take need into account more than most non-HYS schools though.


i have need. so much need.

for acceptance, but, hey, i'll take it.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby calidancer2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 pm

digifly wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:Checking in! Anyone from CA here?



Me!! Concerned about Berkeley/UCLA/USC vs comin here for Cali placement


Yeah, same here. I just cast a very wide net with my apps. Plus, many of the schools gave out fee waivers and I couldn't say no to that! Is Columbia your top choice?



stanford/harvard/berkeley are my absolute tops, i've never been to NYC so unsure about columbia. i like the idea of it and had friends that loved it, but think i need to visit.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:Checking in! Anyone from CA here?



Me!! Concerned about Berkeley/UCLA/USC vs comin here for Cali placement


Yeah, same here. I just cast a very wide net with my apps. Plus, many of the schools gave out fee waivers and I couldn't say no to that! Is Columbia your top choice?



stanford/harvard/berkeley are my absolute tops, i've never been to NYC so unsure about columbia. i like the idea of it and had friends that loved it, but think i need to visit.


If you weren't a girl I'd think you were my clone! That's pretty much the exact situation I'm in. Guess I'll wait and see how admissions goes and then worry about it from there.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby calidancer2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:40 pm

digifly wrote:
If you weren't a girl I'd think you were my clone! That's pretty much the exact situation I'm in. Guess I'll wait and see how admissions goes and then worry about it from there.



We're flipped numbers wise too. You'll do great in CA with the higher GPA. I'd kill for those numbers! Higher LSAT and lower GPA feels much more unpredictable so I'm worried.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:58 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:
If you weren't a girl I'd think you were my clone! That's pretty much the exact situation I'm in. Guess I'll wait and see how admissions goes and then worry about it from there.



We're flipped numbers wise too. You'll do great in CA with the higher GPA. I'd kill for those numbers! Higher LSAT and lower GPA feels much more unpredictable so I'm worried.


I'm sure you're fine! 99th percentile with your "lower" GPA will keep you on track. Did you apply to a lot of schools? What makes you say that CA schools favor GPAs?

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby calidancer2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 pm

digifly wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:
If you weren't a girl I'd think you were my clone! That's pretty much the exact situation I'm in. Guess I'll wait and see how admissions goes and then worry about it from there.



We're flipped numbers wise too. You'll do great in CA with the higher GPA. I'd kill for those numbers! Higher LSAT and lower GPA feels much more unpredictable so I'm worried.


I'm sure you're fine! 99th percentile with your "lower" GPA will keep you on track. Did you apply to a lot of schools? What makes you say that CA schools favor GPAs?



empirical evidence. Berk/Stanford/UCLA are GPA whores. i think all told i'll be applying to 15 (16 if i decide to waste my $ on yale). you?

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:54 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
digifly wrote:

empirical evidence. Berk/Stanford/UCLA are GPA whores. i think all told i'll be applying to 15 (16 if i decide to waste my $ on yale). you?


So far I've turned in 12. At some point I just realized that, though I had fee waivers to them, there were just certain schools which I could never see myself attending. I figured the only reason for me to apply to those would be to see what kind of $$$ they doled out and then use that as a bargaining chip with other schools. Still debating on whether or not I'll do more.

joedf
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby joedf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey guys, did any of you make use of the "Supplemental Essay" section for something besides an adversity statement or addendum?

Would a "Why Columbia?" type essay be something I could do at all, or is that unnecessary and something they wouldn't read?

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Any reapplicants go complete yet? I'm sitting on 6 weeks incomplete now.

NDOMUKONGGGG
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NDOMUKONGGGG » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I know there are still 3 days until the ED deadline, but do you think the # of Columbia ED apps so far on LSN as compared to last year will be any indication of how this cycle will go?

More than likely it's probably just LSN self-selection bias, but I just wanted to stir the pot.

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bailey8078 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Crowing wrote:Any reapplicants go complete yet? I'm sitting on 6 weeks incomplete now.



I'm right there with you. When are you planning to email?

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby moonman157 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 pm

NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:I know there are still 3 days until the ED deadline, but do you think the # of Columbia ED apps so far on LSN as compared to last year will be any indication of how this cycle will go?

More than likely it's probably just LSN self-selection bias, but I just wanted to stir the pot.


Is the number noticably lower? Sorry I'm lazy

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 am

bailey8078 wrote:
Crowing wrote:Any reapplicants go complete yet? I'm sitting on 6 weeks incomplete now.



I'm right there with you. When are you planning to email?


I e-mailed two weeks ago and got a generic response. I'm thinking about calling.

User avatar
Elahrairah
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Elahrairah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 am

moonman157 wrote:
NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:I know there are still 3 days until the ED deadline, but do you think the # of Columbia ED apps so far on LSN as compared to last year will be any indication of how this cycle will go?

More than likely it's probably just LSN self-selection bias, but I just wanted to stir the pot.


Is the number noticably lower? Sorry I'm lazy


Even if you assume that two thirds of those who'd usually post on LSN are waiting until later to share their info, we have an unprecedentedly low number of ED applicants. It looks like 30-40 ED applicants is typical on LSN, about 10 of whom are accepted. Right now on LSN there are just seven EDers.

I hope that's good news. :)

one_by_one
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby one_by_one » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am

Elahrairah wrote:
Even if you assume that two thirds of those who'd usually post on LSN are waiting until later to share their info, we have an unprecedentedly low number of ED applicants. It looks like 30-40 ED applicants is typical on LSN, about 10 of whom are accepted. Right now on LSN there are just seven EDers.

I hope that's good news. :)


I hope so too! Although maybe the number of ED apps is lower bc people are less willing to commit knowing that this cycle might be more favorable / less predictable than others (in terms of $$$ and other acceptances on the line)

jns66
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jns66 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 am

I haven't even gotten a status checker e-mail - applied about two weeks ago. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm wondering if I should maybe call them.

jns66
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jns66 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 am

hm never mind... didn't realize Columbia did it differently. Good luck everyone!

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:45 am

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Mon May 11, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 am

FWIW, this year the number of users who are registered on LSN for this cycle is 454. Last year, at this time there were 611 users registered who ended up marking applications for the 2011-2012 cycle (note that this might include applicants who were applying for this cycle but ended up making their application for last cycle before LSN updated). The only thing that should be excluded from this comparison are reapplicants who haven't yet updated their profile to reflect the fact that they're reapplying. I'll see if I can get numbers for Columbia later.

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby vzapana » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:The only thing that should be excluded from this comparison are reapplicants who haven't yet updated their profile to reflect the fact that they're reapplying.


Even then, that would have been an issue with last year's numbers. Yay for fewer applicants #pleasetakemecolumbia

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:FWIW, this year the number of users who are registered on LSN for this cycle is 454. Last year, at this time there were 611 users registered who ended up marking applications for the 2011-2012 cycle (note that this might include applicants who were applying for this cycle but ended up making their application for last cycle before LSN updated). The only thing that should be excluded from this comparison are reapplicants who haven't yet updated their profile to reflect the fact that they're reapplying. I'll see if I can get numbers for Columbia later.


Thanks. I actually was curious about this.

User avatar
kaf5250
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kaf5250 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:25 pm

joedf wrote:Hey guys, did any of you make use of the "Supplemental Essay" section for something besides an adversity statement or addendum?

Would a "Why Columbia?" type essay be something I could do at all, or is that unnecessary and something they wouldn't read?


This is something I am curious about, I am way below everything at Columbia but it is my absolute dream school and I just got a fee waiver (I think they are just mocking me though haha) would it be worth it for me to write a why columbia?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Ca2021, canafsa, JosefK, proteinshake, stratton_oakmont, ThorB and 16 guests