Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

az21833 wrote:NCE! postmarked 1/30 (told you... Sandy, that bi*ch). No scholarship info but considering I'm below their LSAT median (171) and non-URM, i did not even expect to get in. With risk of outing myself, I was Columbia UG and have lived in Manhattan ever since - so goes without saying that this holds a special place in my heart

The one thing that is daunting is the idea of 250k of debt, any idea of timeline on non butler/hammy schollys? It seems like the 171/172 high GPA crowd last year got about 25K - any idea how/when we find out about htis


SO HAPPY, dont worry all NCEs will be arriving soon 8)

Yaaayyyyyy az!!!!!! :)

User avatar
biznardos
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby biznardos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 am

az21833 wrote:NCE! postmarked 1/30 (told you... Sandy, that bi*ch). No scholarship info but considering I'm below their LSAT median (171) and non-URM, i did not even expect to get in. With risk of outing myself, I was Columbia UG and have lived in Manhattan ever since - so goes without saying that this holds a special place in my heart

The one thing that is daunting is the idea of 250k of debt, any idea of timeline on non butler/hammy schollys? It seems like the 171/172 high GPA crowd last year got about 25K - any idea how/when we find out about htis


SO HAPPY, dont worry all NCEs will be arriving soon 8)


AZ! congrats broski!

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 am

Gratz Az!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

Congrats Az!!

ETA: Even though I'm sure I wasn't in your batch because I would've received it already, I'm going to pretend like this gives me hope. To the mailbox!

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 am

Congrats Az. Are you sure 1/30 was the postmark date? Or was that when the postage machine stamped it?

Lavitz wrote:Things aren't looking too good right now. I count 69 RD admits on LSN right now, compared with 77 at this time last year. At best, we may see a very small batch of NCEs this week. But after that, the inevitable WL/ding waves will begin :/


So they're about to waitlist multiple people above both medians/75ths??

ETA: I still don't understand this. I thought softs were a tiebreaker, maybe could result in some $ if they were solid. That makes sense. But people with my exact numbers have gotten Hamiltons and I don't even get to go at sticker? If this is TLS CW, I should just go to American and do international law.
Last edited by banjo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am

banjo wrote:Congrats Az. Are you sure 1/30 was the postmark date? Or was that when the postage machine stamped it?

Lavitz wrote:Things aren't looking too good right now. I count 69 RD admits on LSN right now, compared with 77 at this time last year. At best, we may see a very small batch of NCEs this week. But after that, the inevitable WL/ding waves will begin :/


So they're about to waitlist multiple people above both medians/75ths??


I don't believe it, and maybe I'm just delusional, but I don't get why people are thinking this. According to last year, there was another spike the third week of February, then again the first week of March, and a few small batches throughout the rest of March. However, I'm not sure what the submit dates were for those acceptances. There are too many above-median people that haven't heard yet for Columbia to be done with acceptances.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jym_dawg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 am

ph5354a wrote:
banjo wrote:Congrats Az. Are you sure 1/30 was the postmark date? Or was that when the postage machine stamped it?

Lavitz wrote:Things aren't looking too good right now. I count 69 RD admits on LSN right now, compared with 77 at this time last year. At best, we may see a very small batch of NCEs this week. But after that, the inevitable WL/ding waves will begin :/


So they're about to waitlist multiple people above both medians/75ths??


I don't believe it, and maybe I'm just delusional, but I don't get why people are thinking this. According to last year, there was another spike the third week of February, then again the first week of March, and a few small batches throughout the rest of March. However, I'm not sure what the submit dates were for those acceptances. There are too many above-median people that haven't heard yet for Columbia to be done with acceptances.


I'd agree. Last year's graph shows a spike during the 4th week of January (around 60). Did Columbia follow that timeline this year, or was last week's (Jan-Feb) batch the equivalent? If you figure they're running a week behind last year, then the timeline suggests they'll send out at least 30 more acceptances in February and March. And there's also the fact that Columbia cut its class size by 10% last year and might want to increase it this year for revenue purposes...

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm

good call banjo. the letter says 1/29, the envelope says 1/30

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 pm

ph5354a wrote:
banjo wrote:Congrats Az. Are you sure 1/30 was the postmark date? Or was that when the postage machine stamped it?

Lavitz wrote:Things aren't looking too good right now. I count 69 RD admits on LSN right now, compared with 77 at this time last year. At best, we may see a very small batch of NCEs this week. But after that, the inevitable WL/ding waves will begin :/


So they're about to waitlist multiple people above both medians/75ths??


I don't believe it, and maybe I'm just delusional, but I don't get why people are thinking this. According to last year, there was another spike the third week of February, then again the first week of March, and a few small batches throughout the rest of March. However, I'm not sure what the submit dates were for those acceptances. There are too many above-median people that haven't heard yet for Columbia to be done with acceptances.

Regarding when they submitted, check out this graph: http://myLSN.info/d/columbia

It looks like that wave was mostly later submitters, but as you noted there was a steady trickle after that.

Hoping for my WL today. Or rejection... :/

User avatar
rehsalt
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby rehsalt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:15 pm

ph5354a wrote: There are too many above-median people that haven't heard yet for Columbia to be done with acceptances.
I like the sentiment.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm

rehsalt wrote:
ph5354a wrote: There are too many above-median people that haven't heard yet for Columbia to be done with acceptances.
I like the sentiment.

As someone who has gotten nothing but Domino's coupons and previous residents' W2s in the mail for the last couple of weeks... me too.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

sabanist wrote:
rehsalt wrote:
ph5354a wrote: There are too many above-median people that haven't heard yet for Columbia to be done with acceptances.
I like the sentiment.

As someone who has gotten nothing but Domino's coupons and previous residents' W2s in the mail for the last couple of weeks... me too.



+1 I feel like my retaking has been a waste so far this cycle.

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby chadbrochill » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 pm

az21833 wrote:NCE! postmarked 1/30 (told you... Sandy, that bi*ch). No scholarship info but considering I'm below their LSAT median (171) and non-URM, i did not even expect to get in. With risk of outing myself, I was Columbia UG and have lived in Manhattan ever since - so goes without saying that this holds a special place in my heart

The one thing that is daunting is the idea of 250k of debt, any idea of timeline on non butler/hammy schollys? It seems like the 171/172 high GPA crowd last year got about 25K - any idea how/when we find out about htis


SO HAPPY, dont worry all NCEs will be arriving soon 8)


woohoo yay!

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby applemaroon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

.
Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm thinking of not checking the mail for like... two weeks. The daily stress isn't healthy.

(note: haven't checked the mail yet today)

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm

At this point I just want Columbia to acknowledge I exist.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I'm thinking of not checking the mail for like... two weeks. The daily stress isn't healthy.

(note: haven't checked the mail yet today)


I would love it if you did this, then in 2 weeks realized the NCE was in your mailbox today

User avatar
kuddlykoala
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby kuddlykoala » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 pm

+1 I feel like my retaking has been a waste so far this cycle.[/quote]

+10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000[/quote]

+1
retook lsat, extra year of work experience, and reapplied after being WL last year

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 02889 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 pm

I know I didn't have much of a chance before, but if all of you are getting WL'd, I really have no shot at getting in off the WL.

What are they doing, cutting the class size down to 100?!

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm


User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:30 pm

trojandave wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm thinking of not checking the mail for like... two weeks. The daily stress isn't healthy.

(note: haven't checked the mail yet today)


I would love it if you did this, then in 2 weeks realized the NCE was in your mailbox today

I caved, but I'm not going to check again until Saturday afternoon.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
trojandave wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm thinking of not checking the mail for like... two weeks. The daily stress isn't healthy.

(note: haven't checked the mail yet today)


I would love it if you did this, then in 2 weeks realized the NCE was in your mailbox today

I caved, but I'm not going to check again until Saturday afternoon.


Right now it's easy because of the lack of movement. The difficulty will come if/when somebody reports an NCE dated this week.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:45 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
trojandave wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm thinking of not checking the mail for like... two weeks. The daily stress isn't healthy.

(note: haven't checked the mail yet today)


I would love it if you did this, then in 2 weeks realized the NCE was in your mailbox today

I caved, but I'm not going to check again until Saturday afternoon.


Do you really want to risk that?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 pm

helix23 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
trojandave wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm thinking of not checking the mail for like... two weeks. The daily stress isn't healthy.

(note: haven't checked the mail yet today)


I would love it if you did this, then in 2 weeks realized the NCE was in your mailbox today

I caved, but I'm not going to check again until Saturday afternoon.


Do you really want to risk that?


it's kind of funny to me when you talk about not checking your mail -- do you have no other important mail other than law school decisions? if I didn't check my mail for two weeks, I'd miss my car and credit card payments and my mailman would egg my house.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:00 pm

jbagelboy wrote:it's kind of funny to me when you talk about not checking your mail -- do you have no other important mail other than law school decisions? if I didn't check my mail for two weeks, I'd miss my car and credit card payments and my mailman would egg my house.

I don't. All online.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”