Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dolfan17

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dolfan17 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 am

Spritzpiggy wrote:
dolfan17 wrote:Anyone in So Fla get a NCE yet?? Submitted in early november.

Gonna hop on a limb and guess you're in Miami too. No NCE, also an early November submit. But mail here is insanely slow/unreliable ....so my guess is somebody in the Hialeah sorting facility is using them for rolling papers

Guess my avatar and username kind of give that away. Yeah the mail down here is horrible. It's taken way longer than normal for me to get mail from other schools, so I'm hoping all our NCEs are just being delayed by incompetence.

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Stopped by the post office. Nothing again today, tristate. Chicago envelope came though.

amsong

Postby amsong » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 pm

Y'all get your mail super early!

vividviolin

Postby vividviolin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:06 pm

J90 wrote:
vividviolin wrote:I'm a bit late to this thread, but I came home today to an NCE with a Hamilton! What a day!

It's postmarked the 25th (west coast). I went complete in October.

Wow.

Congrats, Vividviolin. You earned it, if anyone!

Will you consider it over HYS? Where would you like to go?

Thanks! I'm really torn at the moment...while I like the idea of Stanford quite a lot, a full ride at a school like Columbia is not to be turned down lightly. We'll see how I feel after I find out my financial aid situation elsewhere :D

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm

vividviolin wrote:
J90 wrote:
vividviolin wrote:I'm a bit late to this thread, but I came home today to an NCE with a Hamilton! What a day!

Wow.

Thanks! I'm really torn at the moment...while I like the idea of Stanford quite a lot, a full ride at a school like Columbia is not to be turned down lightly. We'll see how I feel after I find out my financial aid situation elsewhere :D

Shhh... go to SLS. I've heard they're relatively generous with their financial aid, but that could be a load of crock

joedf

Postby joedf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 pm

vividviolin wrote:
J90 wrote:

Wow.

That's awesome. :) Sounds like a great plan and best of luck wherever you end up.

J90

Postby J90 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:48 pm

vividviolin wrote:
J90 wrote:

Wow.

Two incredible choices. I'm not sure you'll go wrong either way, but yeah, it definitely seems prudent to see how Stanford responds for need-based aid! Props!

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

this is a complete dickwad question, so feel free to ignore, judge, and socially ostracize me if you'd like.

but i seriously did consider CLS if i got the hamilton. given my options now, there's no way i'd go there. i want to do biglaw, and Y's #s are underwhelming (I know I know, self-selection but still), so i would take CLS 50/50 if given the free ride. if i were to theoretically write a really aggressive financial aid bargaining letter of "Hamilton or withdrawal", who should I address it to? The admissions office or the financial aid office?

apologize again for being a total douche about this. it's a good problem to have, I know.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:20 pm

pacifica wrote:this is a complete dickwad question, so feel free to ignore, judge, and socially ostracize me if you'd like.

but i seriously did consider CLS if i got the hamilton. given my options now, there's no way i'd go there. i want to do biglaw, and Y's #s are underwhelming (I know I know, self-selection but still), so i would take CLS 50/50 if given the free ride. if i were to theoretically write a really aggressive financial aid bargaining letter of "Hamilton or withdrawal", who should I address it to? The admissions office or the financial aid office?

apologize again for being a total douche about this. it's a good problem to have, I know.

Well..

I don't think it's the worst concern to have. However, I would not address it "hamilton or wd".

You could write a convincing why cls sort of essay including that you are financial burdened and have some offers at UChic etc with money. You want to attend cls and will be a successful alumna but you need money to help the cost etc and secure your spot there ?

That was poorly worded bc i'm at work but yeah.. pm if you need ideas.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:29 pm

pacifica wrote:this is a complete dickwad question, so feel free to ignore, judge, and socially ostracize me if you'd like.

I would assume the financial aid office, but you could cc admissions just to cast a wider net. Or e-mail admissions with your concern and ask who would be best to contact at fin aid.

wisteria

Postby wisteria » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Why, I don't think you are being a douche at all. I don't claim to have any inside info on how the scholarship system works at CLS, but my guess would be that the admissions office has more say on the matter than the financial aid office. I think the latter is there to assist processing whatever decisions the admissions office make. No?

wisteria

Postby wisteria » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

helix23 wrote:

I would assume the financial aid office, but you could cc admissions just to cast a wider net. Or e-mail admissions with your concern and ask who would be best to contact at fin aid.

Ah... I assumed the opposite! :oops:

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:31 pm

In before pacifica acquires full rides from all of CCN

titansfan

Postby titansfan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm

I think I would email the generic admissions address because I'm guessing they have a filtering system in place already and will get it to the right person. I have no idea what the email should say though.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm

wisteria wrote:
helix23 wrote:

Ah... I assumed the opposite! :oops:

I think admissions and financial aid work together on issues like this. Admissions probably handles how important the applicant (their numbers/softs) are to the class and will evaluate their worth and communicate that to financial aid who has to crunch the numbers and make it work. So both should be involved. my opinion.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Understandable issue. I wish I had your bargaining chips for a CLS scholarship. two things came to mind:
1) they might not have given you the scholarship because with the strength of your application, they thought you might not even take hamilton over yale in the first place. so convincing them you might could turn out.
2) I mean no offense -- you have (clearly) an incredible application with terrific results -- but from what I've seen, with only 1 or 2 exceptions, all the hamiltons and most butlers have been offered to 176+ LSAT, seems like an almost automatic thing at that price point. they would probably give you a full ride if you asked for it though.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

I was always under the impression you should email scholarship related requests to whomever signed your acceptance letter at the admissions office. Merit awards are based on, well, merit, and that is something I would think the admissions people would determine.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I was always under the impression you should email scholarship related requests to whomever signed your acceptance letter at the admissions office. Merit awards are based on, well, merit, and that is something I would think the admissions people would determine.

I used to work at a university, not directly in fin aid or admissions, but the way it worked was admissions has a set amount of money for merit aid, which was determined by the fin aid office, and admissions got to choose how they disbursed that money. So I would definitely start with admissions for negotiations, but contact fin aid for need-based questions.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm

Nothing again here. Yep, definitely skipped over. I'm done running to my mailbox dramatically now, anyway...thinking about CoL + Columbia's tuition...yeah...no...

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:12 pm

Nothing in Miami either. Oh well

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:13 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Nothing again here. Yep, definitely skipped over. I'm done running to my mailbox dramatically now, anyway...thinking about CoL + Columbia's tuition...yeah...no...

big white envelope... from UDM. Damn these other schools and their big white envelopes

wisteria

Postby wisteria » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

Nothing here in LA. Oh well, there's always the next batch.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm

wisteria wrote:Nothing here in LA. Oh well, there's always the next batch.

Is it just a pretty constant trickle of NCEs from now onward?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:29 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
wisteria wrote:Nothing here in LA. Oh well, there's always the next batch.

Is it just a pretty constant trickle of NCEs from now onward?

Hmm... it would appear so. Big rush, trickle, trickle trickle, waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”