Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tyler.durden
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby tyler.durden » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Any splitters get in yesterday?


Here, 172/3.6

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am

BigZuck wrote:
zdamico wrote:A little disappointed (as silly as that is, I guess) at no Butler/Hamilton with a 176, 3.85, with solid softs and strong LORs.

Any thoughts?


Enjoy YHS?



Yeah I mean, not to be a dick but you're in at Harvard and your posts by all accounts indicate you are set on attending there. So...

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

tyler.durden wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Any splitters get in yesterday?


Here, 172/3.6

Congrats!

Praying my 172 and abysmal GPA deliver me into Columbia's loving embrace

Edit because grammar.

User avatar
zdamico
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zdamico » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
zdamico wrote:A little disappointed (as silly as that is, I guess) at no Butler/Hamilton with a 176, 3.85, with solid softs and strong LORs.

Any thoughts?


Enjoy YHS?



Yeah I mean, not to be a dick but you're in at Harvard and your posts by all accounts indicate you are set on attending there. So...


Not even remotely. I would likely choose Columbia with a significant amount of money over Harvard. In any case, I understand that is certainly a "good problem" to have, but that doesn't mean I'm not still genuinely looking for some advice. I was just curious if anyone knew about A. The prevalence of Butlers and Hamiltons received after acceptance letters in the past and B. How often people receive between half the cost and the entire cost covered by Financial Aid without a named scholarship.

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby spyke123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 am

any chance more people will hear today? a second batch was mailed out yesterday? Or are we done for another week or so.

anyone who went complete dec/jan get in?

I would definitely say the first batch was more than a trickle though

Volforlife
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Volforlife » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am

tyler.durden wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Any splitters get in yesterday?


Here, 172/3.6


oh my god you give me hope. Please love my splitterness, Columbia.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 am

Volforlife wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Any splitters get in yesterday?


Here, 172/3.6


oh my god you give me hope. Please love my splitterness, Columbia.


Right there with you. I think hope we'll be fine. :oops:

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wisteria » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:00 pm

zdamico wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
zdamico wrote:A little disappointed (as silly as that is, I guess) at no Butler/Hamilton with a 176, 3.85, with solid softs and strong LORs.

Any thoughts?


Enjoy YHS?



Yeah I mean, not to be a dick but you're in at Harvard and your posts by all accounts indicate you are set on attending there. So...


Not even remotely. I would likely choose Columbia with a significant amount of money over Harvard. In any case, I understand that is certainly a "good problem" to have, but that doesn't mean I'm not still genuinely looking for some advice. I was just curious if anyone knew about A. The prevalence of Butlers and Hamiltons received after acceptance letters in the past and B. How often people receive between half the cost and the entire cost covered by Financial Aid without a named scholarship.


2-3 pages back there's some data on columbia financial aid. Approximately 32 ENROLLED students/year receive between half to full scholarship. Don't know how many of them are Butler though.

User avatar
pacifica
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby pacifica » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
zdamico wrote:A little disappointed (as silly as that is, I guess) at no Butler/Hamilton with a 176, 3.85, with solid softs and strong LORs.

Any thoughts?


Enjoy YHS?



Yeah I mean, not to be a dick but you're in at Harvard and your posts by all accounts indicate you are set on attending there. So...



zdamico, you can just try to be very aggressive and negotiate for a Hamilton. A few pages back, someone said there's been no precedence for it, so I'd consider that one of those "challenge accepted" moments. If it works, you're not taking $ from anyone else since they rarely do give it out to people who didn't get it initially; if it doesn't, enjoy HYS.
Last edited by pacifica on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

zdamico wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
zdamico wrote:A little disappointed (as silly as that is, I guess) at no Butler/Hamilton with a 176, 3.85, with solid softs and strong LORs.

Any thoughts?


Enjoy YHS?



Yeah I mean, not to be a dick but you're in at Harvard and your posts by all accounts indicate you are set on attending there. So...


Not even remotely. I would likely choose Columbia with a significant amount of money over Harvard. In any case, I understand that is certainly a "good problem" to have, but that doesn't mean I'm not still genuinely looking for some advice. I was just curious if anyone knew about A. The prevalence of Butlers and Hamiltons received after acceptance letters in the past and B. How often people receive between half the cost and the entire cost covered by Financial Aid without a named scholarship.


"I'm still in the phase where I believe a good amount of money at Columbia/NYU/Penn/UVA could realistically help me change my mind. I know my heart lies in Cambridge though, especially since I am from there."

"I applied to Stanford and am waiting on them as well. Realistically, only S or Columbia with half/full scholarship could make me even question Harvard. Although even then, I am from Boston and it has been my dream school for a long time."


Bolded and italicized are my own.

Ill stop antagonizing you now; just saying that (as I said before) TLS' handy site features make it very easy to see you say otherwise on the site.


ETA: I partly did this because I did a similarly assholeish thing over in another thread and was called out on being a dick. I realized that I was, owned up to it, and apologized. TLS is a weird bubble where people get upset over lack of half/full schollys from columbia :roll: but step back and realize how insensitive it sounds, especially when there's been so few admits thus far and everyone is still (patiently?) waiting for an NCE without any hope for a Butler/Hamilton.
Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

one_by_one
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby one_by_one » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm

.
Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 pm

wow, burned. nice work twinkle.

and yeah dude when others are literally praying to see something resembling a NCE in their envelope , don't come on here complaining about how you don't have a full ride to the #4 law school in the country - especially when you have YHS in your backpocket and that is where you want to go.

Its completely fine to come here and compare results and discuss strategy regarding $$$ but i would at least wait a couple days and express some sort of gratitude for being accepted to one of the premier academic institutions in the country.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Or the rest of us could stop being butthurt when someone else with fantastic credentials earns admission. Someone else getting in has nothing to do with us getting in. If I get rejected, it's because my stats sucked. Let's be real.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

.
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 pm

fallingup wrote:Or the rest of us could stop being butthurt when someone else with fantastic credentials earns admission. Someone else getting in has nothing to do with us getting in. If I get rejected, it's because my stats sucked. Let's be real.



RC fail, so I'll TL;DR for you- we're happy he earned admission to Columbia. We're UNhappy because he seems to be whining that he didn't get a half/full-ride to Columbia.

Humility will get you far in life, I promise.

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Anonymous4444 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 pm

mail came: nothing

ihml

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:The above post from az21833 is true, in general. However, reading through zdamico's posts in this thread and others, I think y'all are the ones being douche bags for ragging on him like that. It is completely unwarranted. I've been reading through his past posts AS WELL, and it is NOT clear that he has decided on Harvard.

So maybe y'all should just stfu if you're going to ignore the genuine concerns of others and just attack people because you're whining that you didn't get in everywhere you wanted.


TLS: where telling someone to enjoy their admission to Harvard Law School makes you a ragging douchebag.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
fallingup wrote:Or the rest of us could stop being butthurt when someone else with fantastic credentials earns admission. Someone else getting in has nothing to do with us getting in. If I get rejected, it's because my stats sucked. Let's be real.



RC fail, so I'll TL;DR for you- we're happy he earned admission to Columbia. We're UNhappy because he seems to be whining that he didn't get a half/full-ride to Columbia.

Humility will get you far in life, I promise.


No, you're whining that a candidate who may well deserve a scholarship is expressing interest in a scholarship. Tell me how that doesn't come across as petty and selfish? Face it, there are better candidates out there than you and me, and they will not only get in, but expect money. Be glad people like him are considering Columbia and holding out for scholarships at all - they are the ones who keep the ranking of the school up, not you and me.

User avatar
callmemaybe84
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby callmemaybe84 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:mail came: nothing

ihml


hug!

Also, all y'all need to calm down. The bloke wanted a full ride, like many said he was disappointed he didn't get it, and you guys gave him a good grilling for his lack of humility when most of you just want a NCE. . If he really would have taken the money, it's a fair thing to say he's disappointed he didn't get it--as fair as the rest of you saying you're sad you didn't get in. Tactless, perhaps, but fair.

So, make up, and lets all just enjoy the awesome schools we will all go to. Let's whine about how hard the amazing decisions we all have will be. Perspective, everyone.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ht2988 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 pm

fallingup wrote:Or the rest of us could stop being butthurt when someone else with fantastic credentials earns admission. Someone else getting in has nothing to do with us getting in. If I get rejected, it's because my stats sucked. Let's be real.



haha butthurt

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:The above post from az21833 is true, in general. However, reading through zdamico's posts in this thread and others, I think y'all are the ones being douche bags for ragging on him like that. It is completely unwarranted. I've been reading through his past posts AS WELL, and it is NOT clear that he has decided on Harvard.

So maybe y'all should just stfu if you're going to ignore the genuine concerns of others and just attack people because you're whining that you didn't get in everywhere you wanted.


TLS: where telling someone to enjoy their admission to Harvard Law School makes you a ragging douchebag.


Right?

Image bye haaatteerrsss

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:The above post from az21833 is true, in general. However, reading through zdamico's posts in this thread and others, I think y'all are the ones being douche bags for ragging on him like that. It is completely unwarranted. I've been reading through his past posts AS WELL, and it is NOT clear that he has decided on Harvard.

So maybe y'all should just stfu if you're going to ignore the genuine concerns of others and just attack people because you're whining that you didn't get in everywhere you wanted.


TLS: where telling someone to enjoy their admission to Harvard Law School makes you a ragging douchebag.


I just don't like these kinds of conversations because it makes me feel less comfortable in the threads. The message I'm getting here is that if I want to lament the fact that I haven't gotten into Columbia/gotten a scholarship (which would definitely be a very tempting option for me), I have to look through all my previous posts and make sure I haven't loved any other schools too much on TLS.

So I'd like to suggest a solution: If you don't like somebody's post about where they got in or what money they received, ignore it and proceed to read other posts. TLS should be an environment where people can post their anxiety and frustrations, and receive help from their peers, without fear of starting arguments.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 pm

fallingup wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
fallingup wrote:Or the rest of us could stop being butthurt when someone else with fantastic credentials earns admission. Someone else getting in has nothing to do with us getting in. If I get rejected, it's because my stats sucked. Let's be real.



RC fail, so I'll TL;DR for you- we're happy he earned admission to Columbia. We're UNhappy because he seems to be whining that he didn't get a half/full-ride to Columbia.

Humility will get you far in life, I promise.


No, you're whining that a candidate who may well deserve a scholarship is expressing interest in a scholarship. Tell me how that doesn't come across as petty and selfish? Face it, there are better candidates out there than you and me, and they will not only get in, but expect money. Be glad people like him are considering Columbia and holding out for scholarships at all - they are the ones who keep the ranking of the school up, not you and me.



expressing interest /= upset because he expected one in his NCE. There are MANY people out there with #s better than me, and many of those are non-Ham/But(t) recipients who said nothing of expecting one in their NCE. Expect money all you want in your head, but I think it definitively crosses an insensitive line when you post about it here when there's only been about 15 people admitted so far.

lol rank

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Sometimes I get sad that I will most likely attend "only" a USC or UT type school on a good scholarship and I stop myself and say "Damn BigZuck, you're out of touch!"

And then I read the Columbia thread.




Anyway, congrats new admits! I will patiently await my ding while looking at my 8% on mylsn.info and dream, "Maybe?"

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby amsong » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Bored now. Let's go back to video games.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], TecumsehSherman and 16 guests