Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sokomofo
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:19 am

.
Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
geary86
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby geary86 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 am

sokomofo wrote:just got a fee waiver (unsolicited)! hope my october score will make me a more competitive candidate...


Same here.. Really shocked to get a fee waiver from Columbia with my score.. :shock:

Also hoping my October score will make me a reasonable candidate at Columbia.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 am

Any idea if they usually send unsolicited fee waivers after October scores released?

And on a side note, do they respond well to solicited if your score is in their range?

sokomofo
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 am

.
Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Br3v » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:13 pm

sokomofo wrote:
geary86 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:just got a fee waiver (unsolicited)! hope my october score will make me a more competitive candidate...


Same here.. Really shocked to get a fee waiver from Columbia with my score.. :shock:

Also hoping my October score will make me a reasonable candidate at Columbia.


yup good luck to us! 2.5 more weeks til the score comes out... ugh.


How did you get the waiver? E-mail out of the blue? Also do you mind sharing your current score?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby subtle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:18 pm

I would like to say that getting or not getting a fee waiver doesn't really mean you will or will not be admitted. I was admitted and never received a waiver.

Hope that puts some of your minds at ease.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 pm

subtle wrote:I would like to say that getting or not getting a fee waiver doesn't really mean you will or will not be admitted. I was admitted and never received a waiver.

Hope that puts some of your minds at ease.

the $100 is killing me. x10 + schools I want to apply to.

=P

But really, it doesn't matter,

User avatar
John Mill
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby John Mill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I still got a few more years of UG, but Columbia is my dream school. Good luck everybody applying this cycle!

User avatar
John Mill
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby John Mill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Whats up with that one guy who got in with a 3.1/168?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby subtle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 pm

toothbrush wrote:
subtle wrote:I would like to say that getting or not getting a fee waiver doesn't really mean you will or will not be admitted. I was admitted and never received a waiver.

Hope that puts some of your minds at ease.

the $100 is killing me. x10 + schools I want to apply to.

=P

But really, it doesn't matter,



Oh no, that I understand completely. I'm just throwing it out there to try to quiet some fears. If you don't get one, and you choose to apply anyway, it doesn't mean that you're not going to get in or anything like that.

User avatar
MsAvocadoPit
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:20 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 pm

No fee waiver, but I got a lovely email !

"Dear Ms. AvocadoPit,

Over the years, Columbia Law School has been consistently impressed by the caliber of XX SCHOOL students. For this reason, we would like to invite you to peruse our website, as well as our Viewbook and consider our Law School as you determine your path into a legal career... "

I'm nowhere close to numbers to be competitive, but I have my URM boost to thank for this email, (Mexican-American/White/Japanese)

I wonder how many they send this to? I have an October score waiting for me, I know I did my personal best.. but that's still not near their numbers I believe. (Expecting high 160s). Time to browse LSN to see how low any URMs were able to dip with LSAT/GPA.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby helix23 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:21 am

MsAvocadoPit wrote:No fee waiver, but I got a lovely email !

"Dear Ms. AvocadoPit,

Over the years, Columbia Law School has been consistently impressed by the caliber of XX SCHOOL students. For this reason, we would like to invite you to peruse our website, as well as our Viewbook and consider our Law School as you determine your path into a legal career... "

I'm nowhere close to numbers to be competitive, but I have my URM boost to thank for this email, (Mexican-American/White/Japanese)

I wonder how many they send this to? I have an October score waiting for me, I know I did my personal best.. but that's still not near their numbers I believe. (Expecting high 160s). Time to browse LSN to see how low any URMs were able to dip with LSAT/GPA.


Got this e-mail too. what a tease. I got really excited at first.

User avatar
whatisthewhat
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whatisthewhat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 am

Do you have to do anything to get on law schools' radar for fee waivers (start applications on LSAC etc.)? Sorry to everyone if this is teh dumbs.

sokomofo
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sokomofo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 am

.
Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JedBartlett
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JedBartlett » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:12 am

Chances that Columbia tells some of us before the first semester is over?

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:33 am

JedBartlett wrote:Chances that Columbia tells some of us before the first semester is over?


0%

User avatar
syr1990
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby syr1990 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Quick question about the Dean's Letter. You don't need one at all if your record is clean at your undergrad university, correct?

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Yukos » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:59 pm

syr1990 wrote:Quick question about the Dean's Letter. You don't need one at all if your record is clean at your undergrad university, correct?


Correct, though you will need to get a dean's certification after you're accepted if you're going to go to CLS.

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby KanyeShrug » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Submitted today. Come on Columbia. You know you want me.

Image

User avatar
airbud
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby airbud » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Got my App Complete email last night. "We are excited to report to you that we have received all the required components of your application and that your file is now complete.We will forward your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order in which it was completed."

But, no status checker.

I'm seeing mixed things on this forum about this. Status checker or no status checker?

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Yukos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 pm

airbud wrote:Got my App Complete email last night. "We are excited to report to you that we have received all the required components of your application and that your file is now complete.We will forward your file to the Admissions Committee, which will evaluate it in the order in which it was completed."

But, no status checker.

I'm seeing mixed things on this forum about this. Status checker or no status checker?


I got a status checker soon after applying (it came in the "initial components" emails). Several weeks after that (ie a couple days ago) I got the app complete email.

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Yukos wrote:
syr1990 wrote:Quick question about the Dean's Letter. You don't need one at all if your record is clean at your undergrad university, correct?


Correct, though you will need to get a dean's certification after you're accepted if you're going to go to CLS.


Can you explain this a bit more? If I'm lucky enough to get into Columbia and attend, I need to get a letter from the dean of my undergrad institution? Why?

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Yukos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:56 pm

--LinkRemoved--

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby masked kavana » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Complete email today. Time to cross fingers

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby feralinfant » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 pm

is the consensus on the supplementary essay that it's really just for a DS or an addendum for lsat/gpa with legitimate excuses (i.e. medical).

In other words I shouldn't use this as an opening to write a "why columbia" right?

I'm pretty sure that I should just not add anything based on the wording but I thought i'd get TLS collective wisdom first.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lmcghee, notorious_mig, sonyco, texteach, TudoBem, zeglo and 9 guests