Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 pm

sinfiery wrote:From the ABA data:
Left is CLS, right is UChi. I am confused by UChis numbers, when did Rubys first go out?
Hah, I knew there was probably some obvious source of readily-available info I was overlooking.

I have no idea what's up with that, though. The Rubies should have been given out in both of the last two cycles. So the current 1Ls and 2Ls should have received them. It does say "from previous year" and I'm not sure when it was updated, so maybe it's only counting the 2010-2011 school year?
edgeofthenight wrote:Do those graphs (which are FANTASTIC, by the way) include public interest fellows or just Hamilton/Butlers?
It seems to list whatever amounts people reported on LSN so presumably yes.

zdamico

Bronze

Post by zdamico » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Does Hamilton/Butler information, as well as other scholarship info, usually come with the decision letter, or later on?

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

rickyb514 wrote:Maybe this should be for the NYU forum, but what is the feel like in the Village?

Well, I'll set it up like an NYU v Columbia feel. I have the NYU bias, but the Village, and in particular the area around the law school, are amazing. You have Wash Sq Park, some great restaurants and nightlife, and it is extremely safe. Columbia is a different feel because the Village draws the hipsters and the tourists, but the UWS is not a bad place to live either. I think you will find that at either NYU or Columbia a lot of the students live a distance away, possibly in pursuit of cheaper neighborhoods or whatever.

The one thing anyone will tell you is to visit the schools - the neighborhoods, and likely the students, have different vibes. Considering how close these schools are in the rankings (assuming you care about rankings), it should be a matter of financial aid, aspirations, and personal preference.
People need to remember that its actually a pretty small island, and the subway system can get you (almost) anywhere. If you're in NYC, you're going to be visiting all the neighborhoods at some point or another, especially on the weekends. I'd focus more on daytime/weekday vibe - you can always explore for the nightlife.

Personally, I currently live near the southern tip of Manhattan. It's quiet during the non working hours, and has some great food/bars for lunch/happy hour. True if I'm going out on the weekend, my friends and I usually head to the Village or Murray Hill or Chelsea/Hells Kitchen, but thats a quick trip on the subway there and a $15-$20 cab ride back (split several ways is nothing). But I don't think I'd want to live in those places because you really can't turn it off. Sometimes you want to have a little peace and quiet, or not be tempted to go out to the club around the corner instead of studying.

WaitingandHopeful

Bronze

Post by WaitingandHopeful » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
rickyb514 wrote:Maybe this should be for the NYU forum, but what is the feel like in the Village?

Well, I'll set it up like an NYU v Columbia feel. I have the NYU bias, but the Village, and in particular the area around the law school, are amazing. You have Wash Sq Park, some great restaurants and nightlife, and it is extremely safe. Columbia is a different feel because the Village draws the hipsters and the tourists, but the UWS is not a bad place to live either. I think you will find that at either NYU or Columbia a lot of the students live a distance away, possibly in pursuit of cheaper neighborhoods or whatever.

The one thing anyone will tell you is to visit the schools - the neighborhoods, and likely the students, have different vibes. Considering how close these schools are in the rankings (assuming you care about rankings), it should be a matter of financial aid, aspirations, and personal preference.
People need to remember that its actually a pretty small island, and the subway system can get you (almost) anywhere. If you're in NYC, you're going to be visiting all the neighborhoods at some point or another, especially on the weekends. I'd focus more on daytime/weekday vibe - you can always explore for the nightlife.

Personally, I currently live near the southern tip of Manhattan. It's quiet during the non working hours, and has some great food/bars for lunch/happy hour. True if I'm going out on the weekend, my friends and I usually head to the Village or Murray Hill or Chelsea/Hells Kitchen, but thats a quick trip on the subway there and a $15-$20 cab ride back (split several ways is nothing). But I don't think I'd want to live in those places because you really can't turn it off. Sometimes you want to have a little peace and quiet, or not be tempted to go out to the club around the corner instead of studying.
+1

I live in the UWS. Lots of people joke that the UWS is more southern Connecticut than manhattan because it can be a bit sleepy, but it's 15 minutes to midtown if you want anything, and frankly, there is plenty going on uptown anyway. Manhattan is tiny and you can go anywhere you want easily on the subway, so don't fret too much about being right on top of the busiest scene. Find a block you're comfortable with. And I do mean a block. Neighborhoods aren't monolithic, and things change very quickly block by block.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm

zdamico wrote:Does Hamilton/Butler information, as well as other scholarship info, usually come with the decision letter, or later on?
The Hamilton/Butler information would come with the decision letter; any other scholarship info would come in late March/early April.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:25 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

+1, live in fidi and echo this

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm

So when do RDs start rolling out? Because looking at that chart, they should have last week?

venus

Bronze

Post by venus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:So when do RDs start rolling out? Because looking at that chart, they should have last week?
End of January.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=5

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 pm

venus wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:So when do RDs start rolling out? Because looking at that chart, they should have last week?
End of January.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=5
And to clear up any confusion (again):
banjo wrote:
rock90123 wrote:Doesn't the graph on the first page show 70 decisions coming in January 4th last year?
Those numbers refer to weeks -- 4th week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waitingforgodot

New

Post by waitingforgodot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Mail carrier came and went today. Still no word from Columbia on my ED app (all elements of ED app acknowledged as complete a few days before the 11/15 deadline).

Am I the only one still waiting?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey everybody, I have a request.

If anyone here has used mylsn.info (LinkRemoved) and it has proven to tremendously aid you in the law school admissons process, please consider voting for LSATSCORES2012 in this poll. He is the creator of this tool and because of the degree to which it has aided me in my application process, I feel he should without a doubt be the winner of the tittle, "Most helpful poster" for 2012. If you agree with me, please vote for him too.

Thanks!

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 am

checking in! really nervous about applying this late in the cycle...

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 pm

waitingforgodot wrote:Mail carrier came and went today. Still no word from Columbia on my ED app (all elements of ED app acknowledged as complete a few days before the 11/15 deadline).

Am I the only one still waiting?
I heard back last week, was deferred until April. You should send them a note tomorrow and ask on your status.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm

02889 wrote:
hdivine wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Checking in... 4.0 170--->171

Hoping the point was worth the wait.
You're still in the 3-point error band for LSAC; however, I could see it helping you--slightly. I knew a consistent low 160-scorer who fluked and scored 170+ on the actual LSAT. I don't think he had ever scored higher than like 165 in practice, but he happened to guess lucky and scored well. I think those situations are rare, but going from 170 to 171 lessens the chance you're a member of the high outlier category.
Can you explain what the bolded means? My impression is that a 171 can actually be substantially better than a 170 (especially at Columbia and NYU, though with wert's 4.0 the retake probably wasn't necessary), though the gap is much smaller than the 169-170 jump. Looking at LSN, it's actually kind of shocking how much lower your GPA can be if you go from a 170 to a 171 (at NYU anyway, though again, for the 4.0 the difference is likely to be minimal).
Your LSAT score is released with an "LSAT Score Band" to different schools. The score band is LSAC's certainty that your actual or "true" score falls within the band. Their level of confidence, if I recall correctly is 68%. When schools look at multiple LSAT exams, if you fall in the LSAT score band again, it doesn't give them any new information. In fact, it just confirms that the reported band contains your "true" score. Falling outside the band, with a 174 for example, would greatly help, but on a statistical basis, I can't imagine the 171 really helping very much because it's within the band of your first score.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 pm

hdivine wrote:
02889 wrote:
hdivine wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Checking in... 4.0 170--->171

Hoping the point was worth the wait.
You're still in the 3-point error band for LSAC; however, I could see it helping you--slightly. I knew a consistent low 160-scorer who fluked and scored 170+ on the actual LSAT. I don't think he had ever scored higher than like 165 in practice, but he happened to guess lucky and scored well. I think those situations are rare, but going from 170 to 171 lessens the chance you're a member of the high outlier category.
Can you explain what the bolded means? My impression is that a 171 can actually be substantially better than a 170 (especially at Columbia and NYU, though with wert's 4.0 the retake probably wasn't necessary), though the gap is much smaller than the 169-170 jump. Looking at LSN, it's actually kind of shocking how much lower your GPA can be if you go from a 170 to a 171 (at NYU anyway, though again, for the 4.0 the difference is likely to be minimal).
Your LSAT score is released with an "LSAT Score Band" to different schools. The score band is LSAC's certainty that your actual or "true" score falls within the band. Their level of confidence, if I recall correctly is 68%. When schools look at multiple LSAT exams, if you fall in the LSAT score band again, it doesn't give them any new information. In fact, it just confirms that the reported band contains your "true" score. Falling outside the band, with a 174 for example, would greatly help, but on a statistical basis, I can't imagine the 171 really helping very much because it's within the band of your first score.
No.

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 pm

one point helps.....

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:
hdivine wrote:
No.
Yeah that post was complete nonsense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
hdivine wrote:
No.
I thought that's how it worked too, hdivine. The score band is a range that the test taker would fall into 68% of the time if they took the test again. This doesn't mean that all scores in that band are treated the same. Even if you only go up a point on your second score, it still means their incoming class stats look better, so it's an overall plus.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:44 pm

ph5354a wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
hdivine wrote:
No.
I thought that's how it worked too, hdivine. The score band a range that the test taker would fall into 68% of the time if they took the test again. This doesn't mean that all scores in that band are treated the same. Even if you only go up a point on your second score, it still means their incoming class stats look better, so it's an overall plus.
In the case of Columbia it may not make much of a difference but that has nothing to do with the score band. IF they are still targeting 172 as their median a 170-171 wont matter. Might matter at places like Penn, NYU or Chi though

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:In the case of Columbia it may not make much of a difference but that has nothing to do with the score band. IF they are still targeting 172 as their median a 170-171 wont matter. Might matter at places like Penn, NYU or Chi though
Yeah, agreed. I just meant that going up a point doesn't really tell them anything new about your LSAT abilities, which is what the score band is supposed to reflect --though I don't see any evidence that schools really pay attention to the band. But a higher number is a higher number regardless. And I would eat glass for that gpa.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Medians matter above all, but I think Columbia still cares about your actual LSAT score. They clearly treat a 180/3.71 differently from a 173/3.71, despite the fact that these two applicants have the same impact on the class medians. Even the 75th isn't factored into the US News ranking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm

banjo wrote:Medians matter above all, but I think Columbia still cares about your actual LSAT score. They clearly treat a 180/3.71 differently from a 173/3.71, despite the fact that these two applicants have the same impact on the class medians. Even the 75th isn't factored into the US News ranking.
Agreed. I think there are a lot of things not counted in US News but that the schools still have to report (25/75ths) which are a factor in who they decide to admit

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 pm

"Completion Pending" since 12/14. Oh my god, Columbia you're kiling me and we haven't even started with the good stuff yet.

harveyfan

New

Post by harveyfan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:18 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:"Completion Pending" since 12/14. Oh my god, Columbia you're kiling me and we haven't even started with the good stuff yet.

+1 Completion Pending since 12/05

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:28 pm

harveyfan wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:"Completion Pending" since 12/14. Oh my god, Columbia you're kiling me and we haven't even started with the good stuff yet.

+1 Completion Pending since 12/05
Yours has been over 3weeks, so you should probably send them an email. I think it says somewhere on the status checker that it shouldn't take more than 3weeks. Maybe something along the lines of is there something you need that I haven't sent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”