Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr. Elshal

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Jpreece59 wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what is VCE?
Vomit-colored envelope. It's what the Columbia acceptance letter comes in. :)
I've been wondering about this for a while. Now I want an acceptance even more, so I can see the color of the envelope :D

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Chance that Columbia adcomms read TLS and change the envelopes to light blue this year?

cloudatlas

New

Post by cloudatlas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm

chickpea wrote:Yes, I would imagine chances at getting a PI job are pretty much identical coming out of Columbia/NYU but it seems like the student body/faculty at NYU is more PI focused, which would be a plus for someone interested in that kind of career. I've heard the student body at Columbia seems to be quite BigLaw focused but perhaps that's not entirely true.

I'm sure this conversation will come up again as a lot of people will likely end up deciding between Columbia and NYU.
I think something else that might set NYU apart from CLS is it's IILJ scholarship, if you want a career in International Law. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think CLS has anything quite equivalent?

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Deferral here, just got an email today with all my re-enrollment info/requirements. So there is movement on the admissions front! Maybe VCEs to be sent out soon?

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Deferral here, just got an email today with all my re-enrollment info/requirements. So there is movement on the admissions front! Maybe VCEs to be sent out soon?

hopefully next week!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:Chance that Columbia adcomms read TLS and change the envelopes to light blue this year?
Chance that TLS-ers start eating some really strange food and begin vomiting in light blue?

Also, your post just brought the idea to my attention that TLS-ers could indirectly have large effects on the law school admissions process. What if adcomms actually do read the threads relevant to their schools to get feedback on the process and improve it over time? We at TLS might have great power to effect serious positive change...or play amazing pranks on the law schools.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:33 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:Chance that Columbia adcomms read TLS and change the envelopes to light blue this year?
Chance that TLS-ers start eating some really strange food and begin vomiting in light blue?

Also, your post just brought the idea to my attention that TLS-ers could indirectly have large effects on the law school admissions process. What if adcomms actually do read the threads relevant to their schools to get feedback on the process and improve it over time? We at TLS might have great power to effect serious positive change...or play amazing pranks on the law schools.
They do read some things on TLS, like the applicant FAQs and some of the static pages and stickies, but I can almost guarantee no one at the admissions office is going through hundreds of pages of "Complete today!!!1 12/26 submitt!"

eph

Bronze

Post by eph » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Withdrew.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:21 pm

eph wrote:Withdrew.
Thanks for rubbing in your HS acceptance. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eph

Bronze

Post by eph » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Not my intent. Just updating cause I have learned a lot from this site. Not sure what they are up to. Four months seems awfully slow.

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm

eph wrote:Not my intent. Just updating cause I have learned a lot from this site. Not sure what they are up to. Four months seems awfully slow.
I don't think anyone could honestly take offense. Thanks for the withdraw - wish there were more like you.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 pm

pedestrian wrote:
eph wrote:Not my intent. Just updating cause I have learned a lot from this site. Not sure what they are up to. Four months seems awfully slow.
I don't think anyone could honestly take offense. Thanks for the withdraw - wish there were more like you.
+1. For those that are HYS-bound regardless of scholarship offers, it would really help us folks who are hoping to sneak in off of waitlists if you'd just go ahead and withdraw sooner rather than later.

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Finally went complete after three months of waiting. Guess rolling admission/applying early isn't going to help my chances with Columbia

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:30 pm

ssanonymous wrote:Finally went complete after three months of waiting. Guess rolling admission/applying early isn't going to help my chances with Columbia
It took you three months after submitting to go complete??? What the--

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:58 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:Finally went complete after three months of waiting. Guess rolling admission/applying early isn't going to help my chances with Columbia
Right?! My app only went complete because I emailed them asking why my status still said "completion pending." Bummer.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:
Right?! My app only went complete because I emailed them asking why my status still said "completion pending." Bummer.
What did they said in the response email ?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Does anyone know dates for Columbia's ASW? I've never been to NYC and if I can, would like to kill two birds with one stone and see Columbia/NYU at once. I think I could figure out fairly quickly if I can make NYC work for 3 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:
I submitted Nov. and I went complete yesterday. I didn't email them or contact them at all.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:11 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Does anyone know dates for Columbia's ASW? I've never been to NYC and if I can, would like to kill two birds with one stone and see Columbia/NYU at once. I think I could figure out fairly quickly if I can make NYC work for 3 years.
Hey Twinkletoes!

I can't say for certain, but a friend of mine who's a current 1L seemed to think it was the first and last weekend of March last year.

Columbia itself hasn't sent any of the ED students anything yet, beyond the initial acceptance letter. I tried calling the office and she seemed to think we'd get our packet/presumably ASW details early-mid February. I'll let you know once I do!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm

J90 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Does anyone know dates for Columbia's ASW? I've never been to NYC and if I can, would like to kill two birds with one stone and see Columbia/NYU at once. I think I could figure out fairly quickly if I can make NYC work for 3 years.
Hey Twinkletoes!

I can't say for certain, but a friend of mine who's a current 1L seemed to think it was the first and last weekend of March last year.

Columbia itself hasn't sent any of the ED students anything yet, beyond the initial acceptance letter. I tried calling the office and she seemed to think we'd get our packet/presumably ASW details early-mid February. I'll let you know once I do!

Thanks! I guess I can also add it to my ASW thread once we get the data. (:

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Columbia and NYU are about 30-40 minutes apart by metro so you can definitely visit them both. And you should -- they're similar schools rankings- and employment-wise but their neighborhoods are completely different, so it's worth getting a good sense of each one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Yukos wrote:
Columbia and NYU are about 30-40 minutes apart by metro so you can definitely visit them both. And you should -- they're similar schools rankings- and employment-wise but their neighborhoods are completely different, so it's worth getting a good sense of each one.

Thanks! I want to practice in CA so am currently trying to decide between Berk and NYU...trying to determine if NYU's higher #s and employment stats are worth me living on the other side of the country in a brand-new city. A bit of a scary prospect, but not a new one for TLSers/law school applicants. Who knows, I could love NYC.

oneshot_90

New

Post by oneshot_90 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:32 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Thanks! I want to practice in CA so am currently trying to decide between Berk and NYU...trying to determine if NYU's higher #s and employment stats are worth me living on the other side of the country in a brand-new city. A bit of a scary prospect, but not a new one for TLSers/law school applicants. Who knows, I could love NYC.

Hey twinkletoes, I happened to stumble on this post and am very glad I did.
I'm in the same situation, deciding between Berkeley and NYU (except the practicing in CA part, I'm still uncertain and have no clue as to which is better for me as I'm a Canadian citizen and will be coming from Toronto)

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:

NYC is amazing. I can't give TOO much advice because I'm a 0L and know as much as you do prob, but I can attest that NYC is great and the NYU culture is something unlike anything else. Definitely go to Manhattan and stay a night or two and spend time in the village and perhaps with some NYU people (not hard in that area to meet NYU people)

Personally, I think it's great. :)

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 pm

toothbrush wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
Yukos wrote:

NYC is amazing. I can't give TOO much advice because I'm a 0L and know as much as you do prob, but I can attest that NYC is great and the NYU culture is something unlike anything else. Definitely go to Manhattan and stay a night or two and spend time in the village and perhaps with some NYU people (not hard in that area to meet NYU people)

Personally, I think it's great. :)
As a Manhattan-ite, I agree with everything above. It's a small city with incredibly diverse areas, so you can really find any place to fit in.

And if all else fails, let it be known that Saturday morning brunch at Harry's in Hanover Square is the single best thing about this city. That is all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”