Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
banjo

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by banjo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Tekrul wrote:Saji's offers a fair priced bento box type lunch. Chicken, teriyaki salmon, etc. with a california roll and rice.

Roti Roll is a solid place for some sort of spiced, chickpea based meal wrapped in something close to a tortilla.

There's a Mcdonald's at 104? I want to say. About that far downtown you can also find a KFC.

Amir's Falafel on Broadway side is pretty nice fare. I think there's also a Maoz Falafel a block or two down from it.

109 Gourmet Deli has the Spicy Special. This will be your 2am go-to as everything else is closed at around 10pm.

Other things I wouldn't consider "fast food" but are pretty staple Columbia fare:
The Mill - Korean
Vine - Japanese/Sushi
Uni Cafe - Pizza/cake/muffins/soup/salad bar/panini
Ollies - Chinese with very generously priced noodle bowls. Like 7-8 dollars for a gigantic bowl of soup you can make 2 meals out of.
Pinkberry - crowded all the time
Community Food & Juice - average stuff
Le Monde - French and they can prove it with the price tag
Havana - Cuban...ish
Mel's - god save their fries and burgers. not exactly cheap though
Just want to add:

Hamilton Deli (24/7, closest food to the law school)
Famiglia/Koronet/Che Bella for pizza
Panino Sportivo (aka Panini di Parma)
Pinnacle (aka Uni Cafe)
Artopolis (desserts, crepes)
Strokos (everything, I see a lot of doctors/nurses here)
Multiple Starbuckses
Hungarian Pastry Shop

For groceries, I'll add Appletree, which I think is 24/7

Delivery in the area is FAST, especially from the Chinese places

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

AH! I knew I was forgetting something seriously egregious. YES! The food carts.

There's one I particularly love. It's on the Broadway side near the main gate. It's a Chinese food cart and they sell Chinatown style 'minced pork hamburgers', kebab style meats on a stick, dumplings, and noodles. It's 3$ a burger and I think $5 for 10 big dumplings. 2 burgers or 1 dumpling order can make a solid meal.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tekrul wrote:
Back to the topic of the gym: I have never seen Columbia's tennis courts, sorry =/ We have a boss tennis team so there has to be one somewhere, I assume it's attached to Baker field wayyyy uptown. However, we do have ~8 racquetball courts on the 3rd floor of Dodge, but be prepared to wait for these as well. As for the pool, getting a lane in Dodge is like striking gold. Insider tip: Use your CUID and use the Barnard one. Even if law students can't use it (which I believe all current students can) there is no swipe to the building, there is no swipe to the gym, and the girls that will take your ID at the pool will rarely ever check the back of your CUID to see if it says CC or SEAS. I don't think I've ever in my 3 years seen anyone else there but me. (It's the building straight past the Barnard gates, walk in and take a right, go down the stairs to the left at the end of the hall, follow the smell of chlorine.)
Thank you, I'll remember this.

When you say "wayyy uptown" what do you mean exactly? I'll be commuting around a lot anyway so if its only a couple blocks I'm not too concerned.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q ... LMBEPwSMAE

That is Baker, the tennis courts, as I surmised, are right next to it.

Edit: I'm not even an admitted student lol. If anyone's got some serious NYU knowledge, I could use this same advice for the area. Maybe in the NYU c/o thread to maintain some semblance of order and civil society.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 pm

1L LB's?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

permapress

New

Post by permapress » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 pm

omg and i saw the waffle truck when i was up there this monday. made my morning.

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 pm

banjo wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Saji's offers a fair priced bento box type lunch. Chicken, teriyaki salmon, etc. with a california roll and rice.

Roti Roll is a solid place for some sort of spiced, chickpea based meal wrapped in something close to a tortilla.

There's a Mcdonald's at 104? I want to say. About that far downtown you can also find a KFC.

Amir's Falafel on Broadway side is pretty nice fare. I think there's also a Maoz Falafel a block or two down from it.

109 Gourmet Deli has the Spicy Special. This will be your 2am go-to as everything else is closed at around 10pm.

Other things I wouldn't consider "fast food" but are pretty staple Columbia fare:
The Mill - Korean
Vine - Japanese/Sushi
Uni Cafe - Pizza/cake/muffins/soup/salad bar/panini
Ollies - Chinese with very generously priced noodle bowls. Like 7-8 dollars for a gigantic bowl of soup you can make 2 meals out of.
Pinkberry - crowded all the time
Community Food & Juice - average stuff
Le Monde - French and they can prove it with the price tag
Havana - Cuban...ish
Mel's - god save their fries and burgers. not exactly cheap though
Just want to add:

Hamilton Deli (24/7, closest food to the law school)
Famiglia/Koronet/Che Bella for pizza
Panino Sportivo (aka Panini di Parma)
Pinnacle (aka Uni Cafe)
Artopolis (desserts, crepes)
Strokos (everything, I see a lot of doctors/nurses here)
Multiple Starbuckses
Hungarian Pastry Shop

For groceries, I'll add Appletree, which I think is 24/7

Delivery in the area is FAST, especially from the Chinese places
Somehow M2M missed this list--Asian grocery store with surprisingly good Philly cheese steaks. Also has sushi but I don't do that so can't say anything about it.

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Is there a Wendy's nearby? Frosty with fries is my jam.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 pm

M2M - hamburger combo with fries at $6.25 I wanna say? And $7.50? with avocado. Don't do the sushi here, too expensive for too little.

Seriously, we missed some big players. dcg2120 is sinking 3's from nowhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Tekrul wrote:M2M - hamburger combo with fries at $6.25 I wanna say? And $7.50? with avocado. Don't do the sushi here, too expensive for too little.

I'm actually surprised by how well TLS knows the area. Are all you guys Columbia UG?

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
Tekrul wrote:M2M - hamburger combo with fries at $6.25 I wanna say? And $7.50? with avocado. Don't do the sushi here, too expensive for too little.

I'm actually surprised by how well TLS knows the area. Are all you guys Columbia UG?
>.>

<.<

who's asking?

lol yea I was. Wait, I see in your profile you minored in Russian? Dude...we definitely know each other.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 pm

dcg2120 wrote: Somehow M2M missed this list--Asian grocery store with surprisingly good Philly cheese steaks. Also has sushi but I don't do that so can't say anything about it.
Very credited. Also Nussbaum & Wu has fresh, plump bagels in the mornings and ok smoothies.

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 pm

It has recently been brought to my attention that some of you awesome people have been waitlisted at CLS. I've just withdrawn; hopefully one of you will get my spot!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm

dcg2120 wrote:It has recently been brought to my attention that some of you awesome people have been waitlisted at CLS. I've just withdrawn; hopefully one of you will get my spot!
Thank you. I remember noticing we have similar profiles. Now if only they could give me both your spot and your money...

EdSaid

New

Post by EdSaid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Admitted today; I had an interview last week, so I guess that worked for me. Does anyone know how long it will take to get financial aid decisions? I already sent in my FAFSA and Need Access stuff, but it looks like I need to send in a questionnaire also (which I can't find on the admitted students website). I have deposit deadlines at NYU and Duke this Friday, so I'm really not sure what I'm going to do, as Duke requires you to withdraw from all other schools you were admitted to for its deposit.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 pm

EdSaid wrote:Does anyone know how long it will take to get financial aid decisions? I already sent in my FAFSA and Need Access stuff, but it looks like I need to send in a questionnaire also (which I can't find on the admitted students website).
The questionnaire's actually available on the website. Financial Aid >> "Download the Financial Aid Questionnaire"

I'm personally not expecting to get my FA decision anytime soon. But I think the upside, for me anyway, is that I don't have to deposit until I get one.

EdSaid

New

Post by EdSaid » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 am

smdpnp wrote:
EdSaid wrote:Does anyone know how long it will take to get financial aid decisions? I already sent in my FAFSA and Need Access stuff, but it looks like I need to send in a questionnaire also (which I can't find on the admitted students website).
The questionnaire's actually available on the website. Financial Aid >> "Download the Financial Aid Questionnaire"

I'm personally not expecting to get my FA decision anytime soon. But I think the upside, for me anyway, is that I don't have to deposit until I get one.

Thanks, I was in the wrong part of the website.

I was afraid that would be the answer about financial aid. Columbia has been my dream school for a lot of reasons, but I don't see how I can get both Duke and NYU to agree to extend my deposit deadlines until Columbia gets back to me on financial aid. So, it looks like I'll probably end up withdrawing. :-(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 am

EdSaid wrote:
smdpnp wrote:

Thanks, I was in the wrong part of the website.

I was afraid that would be the answer about financial aid. Columbia has been my dream school for a lot of reasons, but I don't see how I can get both Duke and NYU to agree to extend my deposit deadlines until Columbia gets back to me on financial aid. So, it looks like I'll probably end up withdrawing. :-(
i'd say just pick whichever one of the two is better, deposit there, then decide between that and columbia once u get the finaid offer. its a few hundred extra if you do decide to go to columbia, but in the grand scheme of things its pretty insignificant. of course if u didnt want cls anyway, then yeah withdrawing makes sense.

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 am

smdpnp wrote:

Is this true? You don't have to deposit until you receive a financial aid decision?

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 am

Note: You do not need to accept Columbia's offer of admissions until you have received your award decision, provided your financial aid application was completed in a timely manner.
Bottom right of page 19 in the handbook. Not too sure if this applies to those applicants accepted after March 1, since they'd end up submitting their FA stuff after the soft deadline.

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 am

Hi!
Did everyone use the form on the Columbia Law website to send a LOCI/Resume updates?

I just sent mine and was wondering if I should also email them the same documents.

Thanks so much!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 am

shakespeare wrote:Hi!
Did everyone use the form on the Columbia Law website to send a LOCI/Resume updates?

I just sent mine and was wondering if I should also email them the same documents.

Thanks so much!
don't e-mail them again. just call to confirm that they've received it.

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:54 am

Hi! Quick question. Still haven't received a fin aid decision from CLS yet. Should I send them copies of the offers I got from Penn and Duke (60K and 67.5K respectively), or do you think they won't care?

lilmissAustin

New

Post by lilmissAustin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Fellow "hold" members ... i am guessing that if we haven't heard anything from Columbia by April 26th we can expect a ding ... right? right? :(

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 pm

lilmissAustin wrote:Fellow "hold" members ... i am guessing that if we haven't heard anything from Columbia by April 26th we can expect a ding ... right? right? :(
The phrasing of the original 'hold' email suggests that we are guaranteed to have the decision by April 27th..
Columbia wrote:Please be advised that you will receive a decision from the Committee no later than April 26, 2013.
edit: I'm also pretty sure the 'held' folks either get admitted or reserved (both are communicated via email these days), don't they?
Last edited by eyfl on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”