Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joedf

Bronze

Re: Columbia c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by joedf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

gabriella97 wrote:Is it possible that the ED decision is gonna come out this Friday 12/1?
Hi Gabriella, I'll tell you everything I know -

It looks like it came out on 12/4-12/5 last year, and 12/1 the year before that. I spoke to an Admissions person on the phone a couple days ago (to confirm I was still ED since the app went "Complete" more than a few days after the 11/15 deadline), and asked her your question at the end - her reply was "ED applicants will be notified throughout the month of December."

I know that's a vague answer, but she wasn't willing to specify any further... so there's a chance of 12/1, yes, but she gave herself quite a bit of leeway.

That's the most legit information I have, though.

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 pm

joedf wrote:
gabriella97 wrote:Is it possible that the ED decision is gonna come out this Friday 12/1?

It looks like it came out on 12/4-12/5 last year, and 12/1 the year before that. I spoke to an Admissions person on the phone a couple days ago (to confirm I was still ED since the app went "Complete" more than a few days after the 11/15 deadline), and asked her your question at the end - her reply was "ED applicants will be notified throughout the month of December."

I know that's a vague answer, but she wasn't willing to specify any further... so there's a chance of 12/1, yes, but she gave herself quite a bit of leeway.

Friday is 11/30. Don't know if Columbia releases decisions on Saturdays. I would say Monday is your best bet.

joedf

Bronze

Post by joedf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm

comeonletsgo wrote:
joedf wrote:

Friday is 11/30. Don't know if Columbia releases decisions on Saturdays. I would say Monday is your best bet.
Fair enough, didn't even consider that! Haha thanks man!

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
subtle wrote:
pacifica wrote:
remix wrote:Waivers don't imply anything except that your score reached a certain threshold, although with a 4.0/172, you're probably fine for Columbia anyway.
This.

Although if it makes you feel any better, I solicited for one and they said "no, we'll contact you if we're interested in giving you one" and I'm out $100 as I never got one, so consider yourself 50 PowerBall tickets ahead in life. (man would winning that would come in handy for paying for law school...)
Fee waivers mean nothing. I know a few people who got them to CLS the cycle I applied and were dinged, whereas I never got one and I was accepted. They're good for helping out your wallet, but don't read too much into getting or not getting one.
I received a waiver and have scores well below the criteria for a typical admit. I'm not exactly sure why. It could be substantial work experience, it could by my UG school is sought after, or it could just be that one of my scores fall within a requested range. I'm surprised to see they have denied requests to others with much stronger scores, though.

Let's just say my scores are somewhere between 159-165 lsat and 3.45 and 3.75 gpa. :)
(I'm embracing anonymity until decisions are out, lest there be any adcom members lurking.)
Why embrace anonymity? Or why be someone on TLS other than who you are on your applications or in actuality?

lollipop555

New

Post by lollipop555 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm

x
Last edited by lollipop555 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poichi

Bronze

Post by poichi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:59 pm

LexLeon wrote:Why embrace anonymity? Or why be someone on TLS other than who you are on your applications or in actuality?
Good question. Sometimes I think TLSers are just looking forward to playing "guess the forum name" when they meet in person as 1Ls. 8)

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Snap! Accidentally answered "yes" to "Are there any criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?" I just got an email from Columbia letting me know. Ummmm attention to detail is kinda important for being a lawyer, so this doesn't look good for me. :(

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm

ssanonymous wrote:Snap! Accidentally answered "yes" to "Are there any criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?" I just got an email from Columbia letting me know. Ummmm attention to detail is kinda important for being a lawyer, so this doesn't look good for me. :(
Hmm.

Tell them you plan to march for the rights of [Cause you care about] on the 5th of December(November).
Even though you do realize there is a risk of unjustified punishment, you do not care because this is the risk you must take on to keep the opportunity to speak out and inform the public about what you feel is an atrocity within our society.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 pm

sinfiery wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:Snap! Accidentally answered "yes" to "Are there any criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?" I just got an email from Columbia letting me know. Ummmm attention to detail is kinda important for being a lawyer, so this doesn't look good for me. :(
Hmm.

Tell them you plan to march for the rights of [Cause you care about] on the 5th of December(November).
Even though you do realize there is a risk of unjustified punishment, you do not care because this is the risk you must take on to keep the opportunity to speak out and inform the public about what you feel is an atrocity within our society.
sinf, you're good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm

gguuueessttt wrote: sinf, you're good.
:lol:

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:59 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Hmm.

haha, amazing. Should've read this before I replied to the email.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Just went complete, submitted the 18th!

joedf

Bronze

Post by joedf » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Looks like 12/5 last year was a Monday, when the ED decisions started coming out. Do you think it'll be 12/3 this year, then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ht2988

Bronze

Post by ht2988 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:25 am

joedf wrote:Looks like 12/5 last year was a Monday, when the ED decisions started coming out. Do you think it'll be 12/3 this year, then?
I hope so!!! :?

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 pm

I just realized that Columbia requires you to submit a letter of recommendation from your employer if you are currently working full-time.
I consider myself a recent graduate so I didn't read beyond the first two sentences of that section in the instructions. :(
Is it too late to submit the letter of recommendation now? It went complete on October 2.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:28 pm

jychun412 wrote:I just realized that Columbia requires you to submit a letter of recommendation from your employer if you are currently working full-time.
I think they require a letter from an employer if you're currently working full time, not necessarily from your current employer. And yeah, I think you should submit an employer letter if your supervisor can say something substantive.

Edit: Okay now I'm not so sure that I interpreted that language correctly. Eek.

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm

A letter from the current employer doesn't seem to be a very reasonable requirement, does it? A lot of people choose not to let our current boss know about the law school application. I sent in a letter from my previous boss. I hope it's fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 pm

wisteria wrote:A letter from the current employer doesn't seem to be a very reasonable requirement, does it? A lot of people choose not to let our current boss know about the law school application. I sent in a letter from my previous boss. I hope it's fine.
I might address the fact that I am submitting a letter from someone other than my current employer in an addendum, or at least contact admissions to see what they have to say on the matter.

It doesn't matter whether we think it is reasonable for them to ask, but I do think it is reasonable to want to maintain confidentiality with regards to your prospective plans and your current employer. Of course, you don't want to jeopardize your current position, as you don't know for sure you will be going anywhere at this point. Any adcom reviewer should be able to recognize this, but you will probably want to be sure the reviewer knows what is going on.

Fitz51

Bronze

Post by Fitz51 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm

"Columbia requires two letters of recommendation.Applicants currently matriculated in or recently graduated from a degree program should submit both letters of recommendation from faculty. For applicants currently working on a full-time basis, a letter from an employer or immediate supervisor who most recently supervised your full-time work is required and may replace one of the two faculty letters. In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file, with the understanding of how valuable letters of recommendation are to our evaluation of their qualifications for admission."

Their words on the issue (emphasis mine).

jubee

Bronze

Post by jubee » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:56 pm

jychun412 wrote:I just realized that Columbia requires you to submit a letter of recommendation from your employer if you are currently working full-time.
I consider myself a recent graduate so I didn't read beyond the first two sentences of that section in the instructions. :(
Is it too late to submit the letter of recommendation now? It went complete on October 2.
How many letters of recommendation should I submit and from whom?

Columbia requires two letters of recommendation to complete your application. We expect applicants currently in school or recently graduated to submit two academic letters from faculty who can provide insights about their candidacy. We suggest that applicants use their own best judgment when determining the appropriate number of letters of recommendation to submit.

Please be advised that, unless we are otherwise notified in response to Question 9.2 of the application, we will complete your application with two letters of recommendation.

I have been out of school for a while and am no longer in contact with any of my professors. Do I still need academic letters of recommendation?

You may submit letters of recommendation from professional references (i.e., former supervisors) if you are unable to locate former professors. However, the Committee does prefer academic letters of recommendation, so please make every attempt to obtai"st one.
That is what is written on their website. Since some people plan to apply perhaps the day an application comes out or ASAP, it seems reasonable that some applicants would not meet that "requirement" when they do not indicate it anywhere outside the application itself (actually what is above is somewhat contradictory to the application instructions) and it is something, unlike an essay that can be written in a few days, that may takes weeks or months to get your hands on.
Last edited by jubee on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Fitz51 wrote:"Columbia requires two letters of recommendation.Applicants currently matriculated in or recently graduated from a degree program should submit both letters of recommendation from faculty. For applicants currently working on a full-time basis, a letter from an employer or immediate supervisor who most recently supervised your full-time work is required and may replace one of the two faculty letters. In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file, with the understanding of how valuable letters of recommendation are to our evaluation of their qualifications for admission."

Their words on the issue (emphasis mine).
1. I didn't send a LOR from my employer for various reasons. No addendum. Am I okay or should I email Columbia explaining?
2. They haven't received my dean's certificate yet. I called my school and they are JUST sending it out. Will I be at a disadvantage for being late? I sent in my app ~Oct 31.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 am

____
Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:48 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Applied tonight with fee waiver.

FWIW, I am employed FT in an hourly, entry-level shitjob (partly why I'm applying to law schools :lol: ). I called AND emailed CLS about their requirement for a current employer rec because there IS a discrepancy on LSAC instructions vs. their website's instructions. They just parroted back at me that it's important but I have to make the final call myself. I wrote an addendum that I just started at this job and that requesting an LOR from my current boss would be bad for a number of reasons, and that instead I submitted one from a past employer and hope they would understand, blah blah. TBH, I think it's an idiotic requirement and if I had to comply with it, I would certainly be out of a job.

Between that and having to answer "yes" for a speeding ticket misdemeanor on C&F, I'm betting I'm easily out at CLS. Oh well, with the fee waiver why not.
Disqualifying an otherwise qualified candidate due to a speeding ticket and an LOR from a former employer, instead of a recent employer where asking for one would put the applicant's job in jeopardy, seems unrealistically petty. I wouldn't sweat either of these issues.

Edit: Of course, I could be wrong. But I spoke with someone who had worked in admissions at a slightly lower ranked school who said that many applicants had some charge or another. DUI and battery were the most common charged. I think speeding tickets are extremely common, at least amongst people that have been driving for any length of time.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 am

I work full-time. I asked my manager for a LoR. It took her forever to write and when she finally showed it to me, I thought it was terrible. I did not use it, did not write an addendum, did not care.

I'll let you all know if I come to regret this decision. :wink:
Last edited by Lavitz on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Applied tonight with fee waiver.

FWIW, I am employed FT in an hourly, entry-level shitjob (partly why I'm applying to law schools :lol: ). I called AND emailed CLS about their requirement for a current employer rec because there IS a discrepancy on LSAC instructions vs. their website's instructions. They just parroted back at me that it's important but I have to make the final call myself. I wrote an addendum that I just started at this job and that requesting an LOR from my current boss would be bad for a number of reasons, and that instead I submitted one from a past employer and hope they would understand, blah blah. TBH, I think it's an idiotic requirement and if I had to comply with it, I would certainly be out of a job.

Between that and having to answer "yes" for a speeding ticket misdemeanor on C&F, I'm betting I'm easily out at CLS. Oh well, with the fee waiver why not.
Disqualifying an otherwise qualified candidate due to a speeding ticket and an LOR from a former employer, instead of a recent employer where asking for one would put the applicant's job in jeopardy, seems unrealistically petty. I wouldn't sweat either of these issues.

Edit: Of course, I could be wrong. But I spoke with someone who had worked in admissions at a slightly lower ranked school who said that many applicants had some charge or another. DUI and battery were the most common charged. I think speeding tickets are extremely common, at least amongst people that have been driving for any length of time.

I think the TLS neuroticism is catching up to me at this point. I feel like if my app isn't perfect then I'm out, but I think maybe it's because I see how many apps each school receives and then think, whoa, no way I can get in if they let in so few out of so many.

OT, but wish we could know with some certainty LSN's representation. I keep looking at H's class size and just :o praying my Hail Mary there pays off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”