Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moneyball026

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby moneyball026 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 pm

applemaroon wrote:Hi everyone,

So do we know if Chicago really is interviewing EVERY RD applicant? Based on the spreadsheet it seems like most of the interviewed ppl were borderline candidates. Any thoughts? Thanks!

"Although our goal is to interview as many potential members of our incoming class as possible, we will unfortunately not be able to offer interviews to all applicants." -chicago

my .02: im a borderline applicant who interviewed but ive seen a lot of stronger applicants than me get the interview. i think they are trying to interview as many people who they might accept as possible to get a sense of how they would fair in the legal market and not just the classroom.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm

moneyball026 wrote:

So do we know if Chicago really is interviewing EVERY RD applicant? Based on the spreadsheet it seems like most of the interviewed ppl were borderline candidates. Any thoughts? Thanks!

"Although our goal is to interview as many potential members of our incoming class as possible, we will unfortunately not be able to offer interviews to all applicants." -chicago

my .02: im a borderline applicant who interviewed but ive seen a lot of stronger applicants than me get the interview. i think they are trying to interview as many people who they might accept as possible to get a sense of how they would fair in the legal market and not just the classroom.

+1

Furthermore, the email was worded as if it was an interview 'option.' It suggested that they would still consider you even if you declined the invitation to interview, but who would be so audacious?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:28 pm

hey does chicago send file complete emails? ive just got an application received without a checklist. if so whats the lag between received and complete? thanks

wisteria

Postby wisteria » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

az21833 wrote:hey does chicago send file complete emails? ive just got an application received without a checklist. if so whats the lag between received and complete? thanks

Yes they do send file complete emails. RD, Received 11/19, Complete 12/5, still not under review.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Complete 11/15 still not under review

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm

wisteria wrote:
az21833 wrote:hey does chicago send file complete emails? ive just got an application received without a checklist. if so whats the lag between received and complete? thanks

Yes they do send file complete emails. RD, Received 11/19, Complete 12/5, still not under review.

Basically the same thing here: RD, Rec. 11/16, Complete 12/6. Not yet under review.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 am

I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but... Terrible maths incoming:

The most recent year for which I can find data is for the c/o 2010 for which Chicago received 5579 applications. In recent years apps have been down, and according to Chicago's site they receive 4000-5000 apps a year; I would guess the actual number for last year's cycle was closer to 4000.

About 600 people reported applying to Chicago on LSN last year which would be 15% of the total applicant pool if we take that number to be 4000.

Now here's the difficult part - what percent of applicants read TLS and of those what percent used the interview spreadsheet? I'm sure the figure is lower than the LSN proportion but by how much?

Currently 66 people have reported interview invites on the spreadsheet. Making sense of this is even harder, as that doesn't represent the total applicant pool (after sending the Jan. 2 round Chicago reported they were still reading from October) and includes EDers (who may or may not be interviewed at a higher rate than RDers).

So what do we take from this? If we say 10% (random guess really) of people who have been invited to interview used the spreadsheet, we would estimate 660 invites so far. Obviously this is wildly inaacurate due to aforementioned reasons and probably even more so with the more variables we consider (e.g. TLS/LSN users generally having a higher success rate than the applicant pool at large).

Ultimately imo Chicago really is making an effort to interview as many applicants as possible, and getting invited probably shouldn't imply anything other than being beyond a basic lowish numerical barrier. I imagine pretty much everybody above auto-ding numbers (and perhaps below auto-accept) who completed in September has received a request.

Incidentally, do we know of any EDers who were not accepted after interviewing? I am only aware of kappycaft1 and Papi who were both accepted.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Crowing wrote:

The most recent year for which I can find data is for the c/o 2010 for which Chicago received 5579 applications. In recent years apps have been down, and according to Chicago's site they receive 4000-5000 apps a year; I would guess the actual number for last year's cycle was closer to 4000.

About 600 people reported applying to Chicago on LSN last year which would be 15% of the total applicant pool if we take that number to be 4000.

Now here's the difficult part - what percent of applicants read TLS and of those what percent used the interview spreadsheet? I'm sure the figure is lower than the LSN proportion but by how much?

Currently 66 people have reported interview invites on the spreadsheet. Making sense of this is even harder, as that doesn't represent the total applicant pool (after sending the Jan. 2 round Chicago reported they were still reading from October) and includes EDers (who may or may not be interviewed at a higher rate than RDers).

So what do we take from this? If we say 10% (random guess really) of people who have been invited to interview used the spreadsheet, we would estimate 660 invites so far. Obviously this is wildly inaacurate due to aforementioned reasons and probably even more so with the more variables we consider (e.g. TLS/LSN users generally having a higher success rate than the applicant pool at large).

Ultimately imo Chicago really is making an effort to interview as many applicants as possible, and getting invited probably shouldn't imply anything other than being beyond a basic lowish numerical barrier. I imagine pretty much everybody above auto-ding numbers (and perhaps below auto-accept) who completed in September has received a request.

Incidentally, do we know of any EDers who were not accepted after interviewing? I am only aware of kappycaft1 and Papi who were both accepted.

This is all credited.

Also I'm aware of at least a couple TLS'ers who ED'ed, interviewed and didn't get in. And all ED admits I know of got an interview.

My conclusion - the interview is just a sign that you're being considered and have a chance. I'm starting to think if you're borderline, the interview may be necessary but far from sufficient to getting admitted. If you just have great #'s it probably doesn't matter

onionz

Postby onionz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Crowing wrote:

This is all credited.

Also I'm aware of at least a couple TLS'ers who ED'ed, interviewed and didn't get in. And all ED admits I know of got an interview.

My conclusion - the interview is just a sign that you're being considered and have a chance. I'm starting to think if you're borderline, the interview may be necessary but far from sufficient to getting admitted. If you just have great #'s it probably doesn't matter

To add a datapoint that I believe support yours conclusions. I went complete very early October, and have had no interview invite. I'm probably close to an autoding (sub 3.3, but 75th LSAT, non URM). I suspect I have zero % chance at admission.

As an aside, anyone notice that the Chicago complete email says "Please don't send us updates"? And they wonder why their matriculation rate is so low. I didn't apply to HYS- is that common with them as well?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Crowing wrote:

This is all credited.

I have far above auto-ding numbers (172/3.71) and based on other acceptances no glaring issue with my apps, Complete 11/20, no request for interview yet. I'm not saying I should get in, but if the above logic follows, and they are trying to secure an interview for everyone above 25ths, wouldn't I have an invite yet? I've been peacefully assuming for my own emotional well being that it just means they simply aren't interviewing everyone whether they are a real potential candidate or not.

onionz

Postby onionz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Crowing wrote:

This is all credited.

I have far above auto-ding numbers (172/3.71) and based on other acceptances no glaring issue with my apps, Complete 11/20, no request for interview yet. I'm not saying I should get in, but if the above logic follows, and they are trying to secure an interview for everyone above 25ths, wouldn't I have an invite yet? I've been peacefully assuming for my own emotional well being that it just means they simply aren't interviewing everyone whether they are a real potential candidate or not.

They're still processing October applications. They probably just haven't gotten to yours yet. Look at the interview invite spreadsheet and remove all the ED-ers. No one close to 11/20 yet has been invited.

jp2013

Postby jp2013 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:57 pm

My numbers are similar and I went complete end of October. I've been under review since 1/1, but no interview invite yet. So don't stress bud.

wu27

Postby wu27 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Did most people receive the status checker/application received e-mail right away? I applied Monday and haven't heard, wasn't sure if it's because its a busy time with December LSAT apps coming in.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm

jp2013 wrote:My numbers are similar and I went complete end of October. I've been under review since 1/1, but no interview invite yet. So don't stress bud.

Much appreciated. I'm still Complete, maybe that UR will pop within the next few weeks.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

wu27 wrote:Did most people receive the status checker/application received e-mail right away? I applied Monday and haven't heard, wasn't sure if it's because its a busy time with December LSAT apps coming in.

I applied about an hour after I got my December score back and I got my received e-mail 2 days later but on the status checker it says they received my application the same day I sent it so they may just be a little slow on the e-mail.

wu27

Postby wu27 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Psib337 wrote:
wu27 wrote:Did most people receive the status checker/application received e-mail right away? I applied Monday and haven't heard, wasn't sure if it's because its a busy time with December LSAT apps coming in.

I applied about an hour after I got my December score back and I got my received e-mail 2 days later but on the status checker it says they received my application the same day I sent it so they may just be a little slow on the e-mail.

Thanks! That's what I figured had happened, won't worry about it until next week if I haven't received it yet

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Based on the fact that Chicago stated they were still reading October apps after the latest round of interview invites went out, I wouldn't assume you're not getting one unless you submitted in September.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 am

For those who have interviewed - should I wear headphones? I kind of feel like that would look a little goofy, but I'm not really familiar with Skype and I'm worried that if I use speakers there might be an echo through the mic (interviewer hearing him/herself).

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 am

Crowing wrote:For those who have interviewed - should I wear headphones? I kind of feel like that would look a little goofy, but I'm not really familiar with Skype and I'm worried that if I use speakers there might be an echo through the mic (interviewer hearing him/herself).

I didn't use them, and it worked out just fine. I did use an external mic, however.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 am

Crowing wrote:For those who have interviewed - should I wear headphones? I kind of feel like that would look a little goofy, but I'm not really familiar with Skype and I'm worried that if I use speakers there might be an echo through the mic (interviewer hearing him/herself).

Do a test run a couple days before with a friend

bobr

Postby bobr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 am

elterrible78 wrote:

I didn't use them, and it worked out just fine. I did use an external mic, however.

+1

Very pleasant 21-22 min. No need to be stressed. Good luck everyone!

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Any chance we get responses today?

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

professorpanda

Postby professorpanda » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Has anyone of the Chicago admits received their Admitted Student Website login and/or admitted student handbooks yet? I know the log-in details is supposed to come out 1/15, but I was curious to see if anyone have received any new info yet.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm

professorpanda wrote:Has anyone of the Chicago admits received their Admitted Student Website login and/or admitted student handbooks yet? I know the log-in details is supposed to come out 1/15, but I was curious to see if anyone have received any new info yet.

Nope. Anxiously waiting for the ASW schedule so I can book tickets

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”