Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WhiteyCakes

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 am

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What kinds of questions do they ask?

Read the rest of the page. This is what all of us have been wondering. Supposedly there were interviews done on Monday, but nobody has reported back

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Give them some time. Sounds like this was the first week and I imagine they only do a few a day so people might want to let enough happen to not automatically out themselves.

mtrrw

Postby mtrrw » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What kinds of questions do they ask?

Read the rest of the page. This is what all of us have been wondering. Supposedly there were interviews done on Monday, but nobody has reported back

Mine is this week as well...if I don't come back with some details know they did something to me. lol

Not sure what they could do over Skype, but this silence from those who have done their's already is eery.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:10 pm

2014 wrote:Give them some time. Sounds like this was the first week and I imagine they only do a few a day so people might want to let enough happen to not automatically out themselves.

Probably this. During the first week of JS1s at HLS, there was a lot of radio silence over interview content as well. I'm sure by this weekend, there'll be a lot of chatter on interview questions.

Although I doubt there will be that many curve balls, I'm more curious how they plan on filling 20 whole minutes, especially since they said we asking them questions "might happen if there's time." NWU Law had an entire list of questions (25 maybe?) and they went through almost all of it with me and it took only about 25 minutes, so I'd be very curious how Chicago approaches this.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:36 pm

My guess is the interviewees were asked hardball questions about minutia on their applications, got tripped up by the questions, and don't want to help later applicants because they did so poorly themselves. It makes me think Chicago may be a ruthlessly competitive school (I'm sure their grading system does not help this one bit).

Also, this: "Look at the camera during the interview, not at the image on the screen."

I'll also be sure to wear a uniform to school every day and walk in a straight line in the hallway without talking. Are they unaware that it is totally unnatural to stare at a small camera while you are talking to someone? I derive an incredible amount of information from the people I talk to's facial expressions in conversation.

While I'm at it, why is U Chicago so inhospitable in their correspondence with applicants? If they are trying to exemplify Krugman's "Very Serious People," which goes along with their reputation as being free market ideologues, they are doing one hell of a job. :|

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:My guess is the interviewees were asked hardball questions about minutia on their applications, got tripped up by the questions, and don't want to help later applicants because they did so poorly themselves. It makes me think Chicago may be a ruthlessly competitive school (I'm sure their grading system does not help this one bit).

Also, this: "Look at the camera during the interview, not at the image on the screen."

I'll also be sure to wear a uniform to school every day and walk in a straight line in the hallway without talking. Are they unaware that it is totally unnatural to stare at a small camera while you are talking to someone? I derive an incredible amount of information from the people I talk to's facial expressions in conversation.

While I'm at it, why is U Chicago so inhospitable in their correspondence with applicants? If they are trying to exemplify Krugman's "Very Serious People," which goes along with their reputation as being free market ideologues, they are doing one hell of a job. :|

Its a law school. I'd rather them be straightforward than put on that fake facade that Michigan markets to applicants. At the end of the day once you're admitted you'll never see these adcoms again.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:42 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Also, this: "Look at the camera during the interview, not at the image on the screen."

Well I certainly LOL'd.

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm

UtilityMonster wrote: It makes me think Chicago may be a ruthlessly competitive school (I'm sure their grading system does not help this one bit).

You made a guess at the reason for people not replying here which I might add is very low on the realm of plausible explanations, proceeded to accept it as true and then judge the school about it? This school is no more competitive than any other school with the exception of like Yale where its debatable if you are even taking law classes.

Who is more hospitable and what do they do that is more accommodating?

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

2014 wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote: It makes me think Chicago may be a ruthlessly competitive school (I'm sure their grading system does not help this one bit).

You made a guess at the reason for people not replying here which I might add is very low on the realm of plausible explanations, proceeded to accept it as true and then judge the school about it? This school is no more competitive than any other school with the exception of like Yale where its debatable if you are even taking law classes.

Who is more hospitable and what do they do that is more accommodating?

yeah i gotta agree. i dont think much can be implied by tring to tell you where to look so that interviewer can see your eyes....
but eyes are pathways to the soul. You dont think they are trying to steal applicant souls......whoaaaa

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:03 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:My guess is the interviewees were asked hardball questions about minutia on their applications, got tripped up by the questions, and don't want to help later applicants because they did so poorly themselves. It makes me think Chicago may be a ruthlessly competitive school (I'm sure their grading system does not help this one bit).

The funniest thing about this is that you're mocking them for giving you advice that will help you. Look wherever you want man. Heck show up to the interview wearing a tank top and basketball shorts. Just don't expect to make a very good impression.

Also not sure why you think that our grading system makes us more competitive than any of our peer schools.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Greenandgold wrote:

The funniest thing about this is that you're mocking them for giving you advice that will help you. Look wherever you want man. Heck show up to the interview wearing a tank top and basketball shorts. Just don't expect to make a very good impression.

Also not sure why you think that our grading system makes us more competitive than any of our peer schools.

I'm confused, where are people seeing this look at the camera advice? All I saw was the Interview FAQ and the Chicago Skype Instructions thing, neither of which said this...

ps. I'd also much rather do an in-person interview... but it is what it is.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:

I'm confused, where are people seeing this look at the camera advice? All I saw was the Interview FAQ and the Chicago Skype Instructions thing, neither of which said this...

ps. I'd also much rather do an in-person interview... but it is what it is.

Read the pdf link below the Skype instructions.

oaken

Postby oaken » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:59 pm

still not complete...

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

Its a law school. I'd rather them be straightforward than put on that fake facade that Michigan markets to applicants. At the end of the day once you're admitted you'll never see these adcoms again.

I'm glad that someone else is annoyed by Michigan's "what the what" strategy this year. The handwritten notes, the two separate viewbook mailings, the overly casual tone of all those emails. I'm glad Chicago doesn't bombard people with marketing materials.

More importantly, I really like this Tina Fey clip on Chicago the city: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... 08151.html

Postby 20141023 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm going to come out and let it be known - I had an interview with Chicago this week!

I can put to rest the rumors put forth by some in this thread that we were asked to not talk about it and that the questions were exceptionally challenging. Neither of these thoughts is true. It was a very standard law school interview. The questions fell in line with questions asked at other law school interviews (e.g. why law, why chicago, something you're proud of, work experience, diversity, opportunity to ask questions, etc.).

In my opinion, there were no curveballs and nothing that would trip up an interviewee that has properly thought about why he or she wants to go to law school and why Chicago would be a good fit.

For me, it was a very comfortable interview and not stressful at all. It definitely made me more excited about the opportunity to be a student there.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:I'm going to come out and let it be known - I had an interview with Chicago this week!

I can put to rest the rumors put forth by some in this thread that we were asked to not talk about it and that the questions were exceptionally challenging. Neither of these thoughts is true. It was a very standard law school interview. The questions fell in line with questions asked at other law school interviews (e.g. why law, why chicago, something you're proud of, work experience, diversity, opportunity to ask questions, etc.).

In my opinion, there were no curveballs and nothing that would trip up an interviewee that has properly thought about why he or she wants to go to law school and why Chicago would be a good fit.

For me, it was a very comfortable interview and not stressful at all. It definitely made me more excited about the opportunity to be a student there.

Thanks for posting this, confirmed my expectations. Good luck!

mtrrw

Postby mtrrw » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:I'm going to come out and let it be known - I had an interview with Chicago this week!

Thanks for posting this, confirmed my expectations. Good luck!

+1 Thank your for posting!!!!

rehsalt

Postby rehsalt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

banjo wrote:
I'm glad that someone else is annoyed by Michigan's "what the what" strategy this year. The handwritten notes, the two separate viewbook mailings, the overly casual tone of all those emails. I'm glad Chicago doesn't bombard people with marketing materials.

More importantly, I really like this Tina Fey clip on Chicago the city: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... 08151.html

You're not the only one annoyed with that cloying strategy. At the end of the day it's just not nice to raise people's hopes when the majority of applicants will be waitlisted or denied.

+1 on the Tina Fey clip

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Finally, my app went complete today. Submitted 11/16.

wisteria

Postby wisteria » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Finally complete too! Submitted 11/19

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 am

This. Also, my interviewer could not have been nicer.

Cherries2013

Postby Cherries2013 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:06 pm

So, do people actually go "under review" on the status checker at Chicago?

I've been "application complete" since early Oct.

EDIT: sorry, just realized they do. So what's up with the delay? Or is this normal? How long did it take everyone else to go under review? Thankss!!
Last edited by Cherries2013 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Cherries2013 wrote:So, do people actually go "under review" on the status checker at Chicago?

I've been "application complete" since early Oct.

yes

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Its a law school. I'd rather them be straightforward than put on that fake facade that Michigan markets to applicants. At the end of the day once you're admitted you'll never see these adcoms again.

While I agree that UtilityMonster is being ridiculous, I'm a 2L and still talk to admissions people all the time. Dean Perry goes running with students, and is always around if you want to chat or are sick and want some Emergen-C. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”