Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 pm

MAHamlin wrote:Congrats to the admits!!! I am really hoping to join your ranks soon.

I do have a quick question, though. I was notified yesterday that I have been recognized as the top student in my department. Chicago's website specifically states "Please do not submit any updates or additional materials after your Online Status Checker indicates that your application is "Complete" unless it relates to the Character and Fitness sections of the application."

I'm torn. Softs such as school awards and extracurricular activities is the weakest part of my application. As a parent I haven't had a bunch of time to do more than schoolwork and familial obligations. A named award from my school, although not huge, bolsters this weak area. However, Chicago says don't do it.

Does anyone have experience with this? My strong inclination is to follow instructions and keep my mouth shut as I am past complete and actually UR1 now. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence supporting one action over the other?

TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.
N
No offense but it's not that big of an update to alert them. Your gpa should stand out and place you as a top student in your department. uC asks not to be bothered so I personally wouldn't.

MAHamlin
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MAHamlin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:19 pm

toothbrush wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:Congrats to the admits!!! I am really hoping to join your ranks soon.

I do have a quick question, though. I was notified yesterday that I have been recognized as the top student in my department. Chicago's website specifically states "Please do not submit any updates or additional materials after your Online Status Checker indicates that your application is "Complete" unless it relates to the Character and Fitness sections of the application."

I'm torn. Softs such as school awards and extracurricular activities is the weakest part of my application. As a parent I haven't had a bunch of time to do more than schoolwork and familial obligations. A named award from my school, although not huge, bolsters this weak area. However, Chicago says don't do it.

Does anyone have experience with this? My strong inclination is to follow instructions and keep my mouth shut as I am past complete and actually UR1 now. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence supporting one action over the other?

TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.
N
No offense but it's not that big of an update to alert them. Your gpa should stand out and place you as a top student in your department. uC asks not to be bothered so I personally wouldn't.


No offense taken. I agree it isn't a huge update, it just happens to fall into an area of my application which I feel is weak. I tend to agree with you, though. Chicago asks not to be bothered, so don't bother them. I was just curious if others have been in similar situations and what they decided to do and the results thereafter.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ht2988 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm

MAHamlin wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:Congrats to the admits!!! I am really hoping to join your ranks soon.

I do have a quick question, though. I was notified yesterday that I have been recognized as the top student in my department. Chicago's website specifically states "Please do not submit any updates or additional materials after your Online Status Checker indicates that your application is "Complete" unless it relates to the Character and Fitness sections of the application."

I'm torn. Softs such as school awards and extracurricular activities is the weakest part of my application. As a parent I haven't had a bunch of time to do more than schoolwork and familial obligations. A named award from my school, although not huge, bolsters this weak area. However, Chicago says don't do it.

Does anyone have experience with this? My strong inclination is to follow instructions and keep my mouth shut as I am past complete and actually UR1 now. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence supporting one action over the other?

TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.
N
No offense but it's not that big of an update to alert them. Your gpa should stand out and place you as a top student in your department. uC asks not to be bothered so I personally wouldn't.


No offense taken. I agree it isn't a huge update, it just happens to fall into an area of my application which I feel is weak. I tend to agree with you, though. Chicago asks not to be bothered, so don't bother them. I was just curious if others have been in similar situations and what they decided to do and the results thereafter.


I sent an update, but they stuck to their guns and told me that it wouldn't be added to my file. This actually works in my favor because now I will have a lot of new info to share during my interview next week.

User avatar
postard
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby postard » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Admitted last nighy, they said our round can expect fin-aid decisions by late March. That's nice of them to get it out before April.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Also got in via email yesterday. With a weak interview.

MAHamlin
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MAHamlin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:04 pm

ht2988 wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:Congrats to the admits!!! I am really hoping to join your ranks soon.

I do have a quick question, though. I was notified yesterday that I have been recognized as the top student in my department. Chicago's website specifically states "Please do not submit any updates or additional materials after your Online Status Checker indicates that your application is "Complete" unless it relates to the Character and Fitness sections of the application."

I'm torn. Softs such as school awards and extracurricular activities is the weakest part of my application. As a parent I haven't had a bunch of time to do more than schoolwork and familial obligations. A named award from my school, although not huge, bolsters this weak area. However, Chicago says don't do it.

Does anyone have experience with this? My strong inclination is to follow instructions and keep my mouth shut as I am past complete and actually UR1 now. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence supporting one action over the other?

TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.
N
No offense but it's not that big of an update to alert them. Your gpa should stand out and place you as a top student in your department. uC asks not to be bothered so I personally wouldn't.


No offense taken. I agree it isn't a huge update, it just happens to fall into an area of my application which I feel is weak. I tend to agree with you, though. Chicago asks not to be bothered, so don't bother them. I was just curious if others have been in similar situations and what they decided to do and the results thereafter.


I sent an update, but they stuck to their guns and told me that it wouldn't be added to my file. This actually works in my favor because now I will have a lot of new info to share during my interview next week.


Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for and cements my decision to withhold an update.

Also, +1 to your comments about withheld updates creating ammunition for the interview. I hadn't even considered that angle yet.
Last edited by MAHamlin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ht2988 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Right? I was not at all expecting an interview invite with my stats, so I wanted to boost my chances with an update. I was pleasantly surprised to get the invitation last week, and I'm glad I have substantive updates to share with my interviewer.

User avatar
Inconceivable!
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Inconceivable! » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Congrats to all admits!

FYI for December applicants, just went under review. Complete 12/21.

User avatar
FrankGallagher
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby FrankGallagher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 pm

they finally changed my status to under review 3/8

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bluecouch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Is there anyone out there who missed the last wave of decisions but had been UR for a while? I am (still) UR1 2/11 and not quite sure what to make of it. I assume I'm in some sort of "held" pile, although I assume that Chicago doesn't tell you if you've been held.

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby applemaroon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 am

UNDER REVIEW UNDER REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do thisss

User avatar
Audeamus
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Audeamus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 am

applemaroon wrote:UNDER REVIEW UNDER REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do thisss


Yay! If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit?

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby elee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

withdrew my application and cancelled my interview for today-

i hope one of you who's dream school is chicago gets in now instead of me

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby applemaroon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Audeamus wrote:
applemaroon wrote:UNDER REVIEW UNDER REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do thisss


Yay! If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit?


Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/22

User avatar
Lar-ties
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lar-ties » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Ugh complete 1/15.

STILL nothing.

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4906
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CaptainLeela » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm

applemaroon wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
applemaroon wrote:UNDER REVIEW UNDER REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do thisss


Yay! If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit?


Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/22


This could be exciting, as I'm a 1/23 complete...however, our numbers are not so similar, and I'm guessing at this point they're mostly cherry picking candidates, thus dates are irrelevant.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby LRGhost » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:16 pm

applemaroon wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
applemaroon wrote:UNDER REVIEW UNDER REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do thisss


Yay! If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit?


Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/22


Similar submit, complete, and UR1 dates.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
applemaroon wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
applemaroon wrote:UNDER REVIEW UNDER REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do thisss


Yay! If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit?


Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/22


This could be exciting, as I'm a 1/23 complete...however, our numbers are not so similar, and I'm guessing at this point they're mostly cherry picking candidates, thus dates are irrelevant.


+1

User avatar
Simplicity
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Simplicity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

MAHamlin wrote:TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.

If the instructions say not to do it, then don't do it. The fact that you are unable to follow directions will hurt more than notifying them that you received some award will help.

like others:

submitted 1/04
complete 1/16
under review 3/08
Last edited by Simplicity on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Simplicity wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.

If the instructions say not to do it, then don't do it. The fact that you are unable to follow directions will hurt more than notifying them that you received some award will help.


Bitch please, following directions is for the people who don't realllly wanna go!

User avatar
Simplicity
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Simplicity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Simplicity wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:TL:DR - Do I update my application with someone I feel is significant even though Chicago discourages it? Actual evidence preferred.

If the instructions say not to do it, then don't do it. The fact that you are unable to follow directions will hurt more than notifying them that you received some award will help.


Bitch please, following directions is for the people who don't realllly wanna go!

So that's why Stanford still hasn't gotten back to me. It all makes sense now....

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby sinfiery » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm

applemaroon wrote:Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/22

Nice! Although a bit dissapointed there won't be any artwork now.

ht2988
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ht2988 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Had my interview with Dean Perry today. I think it went pretty well - I looked directly into the camera for the most part, and the questions were very straight forward. Contrary to what others have reported back, she seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say and the few times I glanced at my screen she looked engaged and was smiling. Back to UR at 3/11, I forgot to ask when I might receive a decision, but I'm guessing it will come in early April.

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby applemaroon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 pm

.
Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscar11cheelsea
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby oscar11cheelsea » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Just went under review as well, haven't really been following much, is Chicago predictable with who they give interviews to as far as numbers are concerned or there's no real set of numbers that your likely to get an interview for?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bakewelltart, carlos_danger, kadams, NotAGolfer, notsolawful, premalone, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Tazewell and 36 guests