Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
talesofyore

Bronze

Re: Chicago c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by talesofyore » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 am

Ruthie wrote:I applied late(1/15) and haven't heard anything, though my application is complete. Did those who were rejected get an email? Or just see it on status checker? Mine in probably coming today:(
I think they might be working on people who were complete in early November right now. I went complete in November, didn't get updated until mid January, and I was accepted on Friday.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am

Ruthie wrote:I applied late(1/15) and haven't heard anything, though my application is complete. Did those who were rejected get an email? Or just see it on status checker? Mine in probably coming today:(
I did, too. We probably won't start getting anything until March...at least.

Inconceivable!

Bronze

Post by Inconceivable! » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:14 pm

JXander wrote:
I did, too. We probably won't start getting anything until March...at least.
I applied early December and I have yet to go under review. I am hoping to hear back in March (fingers crossed). I think you might be waiting even longer sadly. :(

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm

jan submits are looking at about a April interview date at this point. suffice to say many will be set on HLSCN by that point. lesson? apply earlier to chicago next year.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm

az21833 wrote:jan submits are looking at about a April interview date at this point. suffice to say many will be set on HLSCN by that point. lesson? apply earlier to chicago next year.
Meh if that's the case I feel like Chicago itself has a lot to lose; it has never been a popular CCN option anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Crowing wrote:
az21833 wrote:jan submits are looking at about a April interview date at this point. suffice to say many will be set on HLSCN by that point. lesson? apply earlier to chicago next year.
Meh if that's the case I feel like Chicago itself has a lot to lose; it has never been a popular CCN option anyway.
Only because most people are east coasters gunning for NY Big Law. If you're a midwesterner who would like to stay in the midwest then I have no idea why you would pick the 4th best East Coast school over the top midwest one.

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:16 pm

shakespeare wrote:
Dr. Gaius Baltar wrote:
shakespeare wrote:In via email.

Interview invitation late Jan.
Interview mid-Feb.

Contrary to what some people have been saying, I actually loved my interview. I thought my interviewer was personable and engaging. Overall, I thought it was a great conversation, and it felt like both didn't want it to end.

PM for details.
Several people on here confessed to loving their interview(er) as well earlier today.

I thought mine was great too.

Sry I was refering to much earlier comments. Ppl had said they felt the interviewer was bored and gave one word answers to their questions.
Yes, you were referring to people like me. I did get in though, so I suppose if anyone in the future has a similar experience they should not worry.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:15 am

Going to go ahead and drag this conversation out of the Cornell thread and respond to it here where it belongs:
Crowing wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Last cycle someone tried to withdraw from Chicago and got a Ruby
So what you're saying is: I should try to withdraw from the Chicago waitlist. 8)
Getting one from a WL withdrawal would be so thug. With all the WL movement last cycle though I feel like May and later in this cycle could be even more nuts, and I have no qualms about saying that we would all love to have you w/ us!
Now that you've put the idea in my head, I wonder if this could actually work right after the deposit deadline. I mean, I try to be as polite as possible in all my law school correspondence but I'd have nothing left to lose at that point; I'd already be comfortably deposited at a school I'd be happy attending.

Maybe something like:

Dear Chicago,

I already told you how much I love you in my interview. There is nothing more I can possibly say. I have decided to submit my seat deposit to Cornell, where I expect to attend with a Dean's Scholarship. I am perfectly content with my decision and therefore would like to excuse myself from your waitlist. However, if you should choose to honor me with receipt of one of your Rubenstein scholarships, I would immediately drop everything and commit to you. Barring such a decision, please withdraw my application from your waitlist.

Sincerely,

Lavitz

Well, that turned out to be ridiculous. :lol:

Maybe I should just sit tight and hope for $105K off the waitlist like this person.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:24 am

Man in one day I managed to shit up the Cornell thread with both a discussion about WUSTL and a discussion about Chicago. For my sake I hope Cornell adcomms haven't outed me.

I am kind of surprised with Chicago this year because it seems like on TLS anyway that they're accepting like 80% of applicants. Even LSN shows almost all acceptances, but in the past Chicago has been one of the most liberal T14s with the dinghammer.

I can see holding people until later to ding/WL but Chicago is moving chronologically this year right? Are there still people who applied in September/October who haven't had a decision rendered or an interview invite?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 am

Lavitz wrote:Going to go ahead and drag this conversation out of the Cornell thread and respond to it here where it belongs:
Crowing wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Last cycle someone tried to withdraw from Chicago and got a Ruby
So what you're saying is: I should try to withdraw from the Chicago waitlist. 8)
Getting one from a WL withdrawal would be so thug. With all the WL movement last cycle though I feel like May and later in this cycle could be even more nuts, and I have no qualms about saying that we would all love to have you w/ us!
Now that you've put the idea in my head, I wonder if this could actually work right after the deposit deadline. I mean, I try to be as polite as possible in all my law school correspondence but I'd have nothing left to lose at that point; I'd already be comfortably deposited at a school I'd be happy attending.

Maybe something like:

Dear Chicago,

I already told you how much I love you in my interview. There is nothing more I can possibly say. I have decided to submit my seat deposit to Cornell, where I expect to attend with a Dean's Scholarship. I am perfectly content with my decision and therefore would like to excuse myself from your waitlist. However, if you should choose to honor me with receipt of one of your Rubenstein scholarships, I would immediately drop everything and commit to you. Barring such a decision, please withdraw my application from your waitlist.

Sincerely,

Lavitz

Well, that turned out to be ridiculous. :lol:

Maybe I should just sit tight and hope for $105K off the waitlist like this person.
That persons cycle is ridiculous. Never been able to figure it out. She's real though and posted on here last year.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 am

Crowing wrote:Man in one day I managed to shit up the Cornell thread with both a discussion about WUSTL and a discussion about Chicago. For my sake I hope Cornell adcomms haven't outed me.
Right, we should cap off the day with a discussion about Cornell in the Chicago thread. 8)
ChampagnePapi wrote:That persons cycle is ridiculous. Never been able to figure it out. She's real though and posted on here last year.
Yeah, I definitely remember her from reading one of her posts where she had to correct someone calling her "foxylady."

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:53 am

talesofyore wrote:
I think they might be working on people who were complete in early November right now. I went complete in November, didn't get updated until mid January, and I was accepted on Friday.

+1

Ruthie

New

Post by Ruthie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:40 am

shakespeare wrote:
talesofyore wrote:

+1
Thanks, il just hang tight. I heard back from most of my schools within 3weeks, so I was optimistic. Then again, it is Chicago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 am

Lavitz wrote:Maybe I should just sit tight and hope for $105K off the waitlist like this person.
Yes, this. I was looking at the waitlist thread a few months ago (it was still going when apps for this cycle opened lol) and I think it goes something like this:

1) Out of the blue in June or July you get an email from a junior member of the admissions staff asking if you're still interested, any updates etc. If you haven't interviewed, you might get an interview invite. If you have already interviewed, she'll just say that Dean Perry would like to have a five minute chat.

2) You have a five minute chat with Dean Perry. This is basically a YP interview; she'll say you can't request a deferral etc.

3) A day or two later you get the Welcome to Chicago email, giving you a deposit deadline a few weeks out

4) A few days after that you get a scholarship offer via email that will make all the RD admits jealous

5) You deposit, and you won't have missed anything because Chicago's fall quarter starts a month after everyone else

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am

banjo wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Maybe I should just sit tight and hope for $105K off the waitlist like this person.
Yes, this. I was looking at the waitlist thread a few months ago (it was still going when apps for this cycle opened lol) and I think it goes something like this:

1) Out of the blue in June or July you get an email from a junior member of the admissions staff asking if you're still interested, any updates etc. If you haven't interviewed, you might get an interview invite. If you have already interviewed, she'll just say that Dean Perry would like to have a five minute chat.

2) You have a five minute chat with Dean Perry. This is basically a YP interview; she'll say you can't request a deferral etc.

3) A day or two later you get the Welcome to Chicago email, giving you a deposit deadline a few weeks out

4) A few days after that you get a scholarship offer via email that will make all the RD admits jealous

5) You deposit, and you won't have missed anything because Chicago's fall quarter starts a month after everyone else
This is basically right, but I believe that most of us that got in off of the waitlist just got an out of the blue phone call from Dean Perry, no email before hand.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I received an email that I had a package, so I went down to get it, assuming that it was my chicago package since I wasn't expecting anything else (though that would be awfully fast, I suppose). I get the package and open it up... turns out some guy from China randomly sent me a Jedi Bathrobe... like the one here. Swear I didn't order it, lol.

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:02 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I received an email that I had a package, so I went down to get it, assuming that it was my chicago package since I wasn't expecting anything else (though that would be awfully fast, I suppose). I get the package and open it up... turns out some guy from China randomly sent me a Jedi Bathrobe... like the one here. Swear I didn't order it, lol.
BEST DAY EVER

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I received an email that I had a package, so I went down to get it, assuming that it was my chicago package since I wasn't expecting anything else (though that would be awfully fast, I suppose). I get the package and open it up... turns out some guy from China randomly sent me a Jedi Bathrobe... like the one here. Swear I didn't order it, lol.
That's... incredible. I expect to see you wear that to ASW.

Actually last time I was on the UChicago campus several years ago I saw a guy walking around with a full Darth Vader suit.

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Noice.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

anyone attending the single-day program next month? i can't go to asw :(

WinterIsHere

New

Post by WinterIsHere » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 pm

vzapana wrote:anyone attending the single-day program next month? i can't go to asw :(
I am. I'm kind of worried there's only going to be like 5 of us since everyone seems to be going to the ASW, but I'm sure it'll still be a good program

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

WinterIsHere wrote:
vzapana wrote:anyone attending the single-day program next month? i can't go to asw :(
I am. I'm kind of worried there's only going to be like 5 of us since everyone seems to be going to the ASW, but I'm sure it'll still be a good program
I know I've said this before, but I went to a Day in the Life program and loved it! With a smaller group, you get to talk to current students more (as opposed to just meeting other admits) which I really liked. Y'all will have a great time. :D

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm

lol'd at work!

WaitingandHopeful

Bronze

Post by WaitingandHopeful » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Under review as of this afternoon.

Applied mid November. Crossing my fingers for an interview request soon.

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

WaitingandHopeful wrote:Under review as of this afternoon.

Applied mid November. Crossing my fingers for an interview request soon.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”