NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Greeno

New

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by Greeno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm

I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.
yes, it stops being binding when you are deferred, or after the date that decisions are promised, whichever is first.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Yes. Google.
--LinkRemoved--

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.

Greeno

New

Post by Greeno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:12 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.
Yeah, I don't mean to say I've been dinged already, just jumping on the depression bandwagon. We'll see what happens

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Greeno wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Yeah, I don't mean to say I've been dinged already, just jumping on the depression bandwagon. We'll see what happens
The depression party is in full swing over here but somebody should definitely keep the hope alive.

amitty1019

Bronze

Post by amitty1019 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Greeno wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

The depression party is in full swing over here but somebody should definitely keep the hope alive.
My boss likes to say to keep your expectations low and you'll never be disappointed- put another way, I think worst-case scenarios are rare, so a lot of us probably have good news coming our way, whether that's next week or in March/April when we are accepted with RD peeps :)

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 am

francesfarmer wrote:

Seriously, what's up with that? Looking at CLS this year, we should've all EDed there :lol:

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:35 am

So far, there has only been one weave of ED admits on 12/5, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

estamosjuntos

New

Post by estamosjuntos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:05 am

02889 wrote:
estamosjuntos wrote:I was just accepted ED with a 171 retake, 3.50(Median LSAT, 25% GPA) so there's hope if you're a bit below the average! I definitely benefitted from the lowered LSAT/GPA standards. I highly doubt I would have been accepted 2 years ago.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle and hope to see you in the Fall!
Congrats! What was the date of the "Decision Letter Sent" status? It looks like you were the only ED applicant (on TLS) accepted yesterday.

Hey, sorry for the confusion folks. My DLS date was indeed 12/5 as well.

domori

New

Post by domori » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 pm

so for those ED applicants who did not get in this time around, do they go straight to waitlist or are they rolled to RD pool and get reviewed again? and if they are indeed reviewed again those who did not get in initially ever not get waitlisted/dinged?

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 pm

sorry if this was already discussed, but when do people think RD decisions will start?

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 pm

domori wrote:so for those ED applicants who did not get in this time around, do they go straight to waitlist or are they rolled to RD pool and get reviewed again? and if they are indeed reviewed again those who did not get in initially ever not get waitlisted/dinged?
I believe there are two options: rejection and deferral to RD. For those who are deferred, I think they say they'll reconsider them in April, which I'd guess nearly always means waitlist or delayed rejection. As for how many people get in off the waitlist, it really depends year by year.

Reading last year's NYU thread towards the end is like reading a book that doesn't have all the pages and just suddenly ends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 pm

vzapana wrote:sorry if this was already discussed, but when do people think RD decisions will start?
Next week, hopefully!

2012Split177

New

Post by 2012Split177 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am

Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Complete 11/15, Under review 11/16

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Just re-read the last few pages. Here's the current state of crazy:

Dec. 5: NYU releases a handful of ED acceptances sometime after 4:00 PM.

Dec. 6: One accepted ED applicant person reported getting a phone call. One person reported getting accepted RD.

Dec. 7, 8: No acceptances or phone calls reported.

Based on this sad trickle that NYU has put out, I'm changing my pessimistic outlook, and now I'm thinking that beginning tomorrow everyone on TLS is getting in. Every. Single. Applicant.

Additionally, they will actually consider applicants with median GPA and below median LSAT for the RTK.

The end.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm

02889 wrote:Just re-read the last few pages. Here's the current state of crazy:

Dec. 5: NYU releases a handful of ED acceptances sometime after 4:00 PM.

Dec. 6: One accepted ED applicant person reported getting a phone call. One person reported getting accepted RD.

Dec. 7, 8: No acceptances or phone calls reported.

Based on this sad trickle that NYU has put out, I'm changing my pessimistic outlook, and now I'm thinking that beginning tomorrow everyone on TLS is getting in. Every. Single. Applicant.

Additionally, they will actually consider applicants with median GPA and below median LSAT for the RTK.

The end.
I am nursing a hangover that may or may not be NYU related and I needed this. Thank you.
I want all of this to happen and I want to get AnBryce. Lets make it happen y'all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 pm

2012Split177 wrote:Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Given your unique story and high LSAT, you're in. I think you'd be in with a 172.

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 pm

The decision chart is showing huge spikes in the first week of December, this week has to be the week then, right?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:The decision chart is showing huge spikes in the first week of December, this week has to be the week then, right?
I really hope so, and I really hope we all receive good news :D It would certainly make finals week a little nicer

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Speculation: iirc last year the first RD wave happened on Monday, 12/12, so I think tomorrow is a definite possibility. They'll probably take a few hours in the morning to fire up the acceptance machine, make sure everything's screwed tight, well-oiled etc., and will blast out those decision letters starting around 1pm.

If not tomorrow, then definitely later this week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2012Split177

New

Post by 2012Split177 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm

teiswei wrote:
2012Split177 wrote:Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Given your unique story and high LSAT, you're in. I think you'd be in with a 172.
I have a unique story? I'm just a big splitter with a few years w/e. I am curious to see how CCN treats applicants with GPAs normally below or just at their floors but with a higher LSAT in this most interesting of cycles.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

2012Split177 wrote:
teiswei wrote:

I have a unique story? I'm just a big splitter with a few years w/e. I am curious to see how CCN treats applicants with GPAs normally below or just at their floors but with a higher LSAT in this most interesting of cycles.
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were a veteran. Oh we'll, I should be pretty similar to you less about 7 points on LSAT and plus a 5 years experience. Here's to hoping for a down applicant pool... Cheers!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 am

02889 wrote:
domori wrote:so for those ED applicants who did not get in this time around, do they go straight to waitlist or are they rolled to RD pool and get reviewed again? and if they are indeed reviewed again those who did not get in initially ever not get waitlisted/dinged?
I believe there are two options: rejection and deferral to RD. For those who are deferred, I think they say they'll reconsider them in April, which I'd guess nearly always means waitlist or delayed rejection. As for how many people get in off the waitlist, it really depends year by year.

Reading last year's NYU thread towards the end is like reading a book that doesn't have all the pages and just suddenly ends.
1L here, applied ED --> rolled to RD --> WL --> Accepted.

From what I saw, the vast majority did not get "reviewed again" in April, but were WL. That being said, I encountered a good number of other TLSers who had originally been ED end up getting accepted off the WL in the summer.

Just thought I'd pop in to tell you ED-hopefuls that there's still a chance for you even if you end up rolled/WL. If you're willing to wait for NYU, it could very well pay off.

Good luck, everyone!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 am

Killingly wrote:1L here, applied ED --> rolled to RD --> WL --> Accepted.

From what I saw, the vast majority did not get "reviewed again" in April, but were WL. That being said, I encountered a good number of other TLSers who had originally been ED end up getting accepted off the WL in the summer.

Just thought I'd pop in to tell you ED-hopefuls that there's still a chance for you even if you end up rolled/WL. If you're willing to wait for NYU, it could very well pay off.

Good luck, everyone!
I love you, and I love this post, and I have this to say to NYU: I will wait for you. Unlike Kate Winslet on that floating piece of wood in the North Atlantic, I will actually never let go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”