NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Greeno
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Greeno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm

I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

yes, it stops being binding when you are deferred, or after the date that decisions are promised, whichever is first.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby djwjddl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.


Yes. Google.
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.

User avatar
Greeno
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Greeno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:12 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.


Yeah, I don't mean to say I've been dinged already, just jumping on the depression bandwagon. We'll see what happens

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Greeno wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.


Yeah, I don't mean to say I've been dinged already, just jumping on the depression bandwagon. We'll see what happens

The depression party is in full swing over here but somebody should definitely keep the hope alive.

amitty1019
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby amitty1019 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Greeno wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.


Yeah, I don't mean to say I've been dinged already, just jumping on the depression bandwagon. We'll see what happens

The depression party is in full swing over here but somebody should definitely keep the hope alive.


My boss likes to say to keep your expectations low and you'll never be disappointed- put another way, I think worst-case scenarios are rare, so a lot of us probably have good news coming our way, whether that's next week or in March/April when we are accepted with RD peeps :)

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Crowing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 am

francesfarmer wrote:
Greeno wrote:I feel like I'm the only 171/3.6 ED who isn't getting accepted.

Can anyone confirm if being deferred means a later acceptance is no longer binding? WL might work out for me if I improve my LSAT on the December test and end up being competitive at Columbia.

Thi is making me majorly sad but also majorly confused. It looks like ED this year was more competitive than it has been in previous years, if we are in fact just awaiting our dings and deferrals.


Seriously, what's up with that? Looking at CLS this year, we should've all EDed there :lol:

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Just » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:35 am

So far, there has only been one weave of ED admits on 12/5, right?

estamosjuntos
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby estamosjuntos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:05 am

02889 wrote:
estamosjuntos wrote:I was just accepted ED with a 171 retake, 3.50(Median LSAT, 25% GPA) so there's hope if you're a bit below the average! I definitely benefitted from the lowered LSAT/GPA standards. I highly doubt I would have been accepted 2 years ago.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle and hope to see you in the Fall!

Congrats! What was the date of the "Decision Letter Sent" status? It looks like you were the only ED applicant (on TLS) accepted yesterday.



Hey, sorry for the confusion folks. My DLS date was indeed 12/5 as well.

User avatar
domori
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby domori » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 pm

so for those ED applicants who did not get in this time around, do they go straight to waitlist or are they rolled to RD pool and get reviewed again? and if they are indeed reviewed again those who did not get in initially ever not get waitlisted/dinged?

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby vzapana » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 pm

sorry if this was already discussed, but when do people think RD decisions will start?

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 pm

domori wrote:so for those ED applicants who did not get in this time around, do they go straight to waitlist or are they rolled to RD pool and get reviewed again? and if they are indeed reviewed again those who did not get in initially ever not get waitlisted/dinged?

I believe there are two options: rejection and deferral to RD. For those who are deferred, I think they say they'll reconsider them in April, which I'd guess nearly always means waitlist or delayed rejection. As for how many people get in off the waitlist, it really depends year by year.

Reading last year's NYU thread towards the end is like reading a book that doesn't have all the pages and just suddenly ends.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby moonman157 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 pm

vzapana wrote:sorry if this was already discussed, but when do people think RD decisions will start?


Next week, hopefully!

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 2012Split177 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am

Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Complete 11/15, Under review 11/16

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Just re-read the last few pages. Here's the current state of crazy:

Dec. 5: NYU releases a handful of ED acceptances sometime after 4:00 PM.

Dec. 6: One accepted ED applicant person reported getting a phone call. One person reported getting accepted RD.

Dec. 7, 8: No acceptances or phone calls reported.

Based on this sad trickle that NYU has put out, I'm changing my pessimistic outlook, and now I'm thinking that beginning tomorrow everyone on TLS is getting in. Every. Single. Applicant.

Additionally, they will actually consider applicants with median GPA and below median LSAT for the RTK.

The end.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby francesfarmer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm

02889 wrote:Just re-read the last few pages. Here's the current state of crazy:

Dec. 5: NYU releases a handful of ED acceptances sometime after 4:00 PM.

Dec. 6: One accepted ED applicant person reported getting a phone call. One person reported getting accepted RD.

Dec. 7, 8: No acceptances or phone calls reported.

Based on this sad trickle that NYU has put out, I'm changing my pessimistic outlook, and now I'm thinking that beginning tomorrow everyone on TLS is getting in. Every. Single. Applicant.

Additionally, they will actually consider applicants with median GPA and below median LSAT for the RTK.

The end.

I am nursing a hangover that may or may not be NYU related and I needed this. Thank you.
I want all of this to happen and I want to get AnBryce. Lets make it happen y'all!

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby teiswei » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 pm

2012Split177 wrote:Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Complete 11/15, Under review 11/16


Given your unique story and high LSAT, you're in. I think you'd be in with a 172.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Teflon_Don » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 pm

The decision chart is showing huge spikes in the first week of December, this week has to be the week then, right?

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby moonman157 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:The decision chart is showing huge spikes in the first week of December, this week has to be the week then, right?


I really hope so, and I really hope we all receive good news :D It would certainly make finals week a little nicer

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby banjo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Speculation: iirc last year the first RD wave happened on Monday, 12/12, so I think tomorrow is a definite possibility. They'll probably take a few hours in the morning to fire up the acceptance machine, make sure everything's screwed tight, well-oiled etc., and will blast out those decision letters starting around 1pm.

If not tomorrow, then definitely later this week.

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 2012Split177 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm

teiswei wrote:
2012Split177 wrote:Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Complete 11/15, Under review 11/16


Given your unique story and high LSAT, you're in. I think you'd be in with a 172.


I have a unique story? I'm just a big splitter with a few years w/e. I am curious to see how CCN treats applicants with GPAs normally below or just at their floors but with a higher LSAT in this most interesting of cycles.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby teiswei » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

2012Split177 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
2012Split177 wrote:Checking in - reach school I think is most likely to possibly admit me.

Complete 11/15, Under review 11/16


Given your unique story and high LSAT, you're in. I think you'd be in with a 172.


I have a unique story? I'm just a big splitter with a few years w/e. I am curious to see how CCN treats applicants with GPAs normally below or just at their floors but with a higher LSAT in this most interesting of cycles.


Sorry, for some reason I thought you were a veteran. Oh we'll, I should be pretty similar to you less about 7 points on LSAT and plus a 5 years experience. Here's to hoping for a down applicant pool... Cheers!

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Killingly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 am

02889 wrote:
domori wrote:so for those ED applicants who did not get in this time around, do they go straight to waitlist or are they rolled to RD pool and get reviewed again? and if they are indeed reviewed again those who did not get in initially ever not get waitlisted/dinged?

I believe there are two options: rejection and deferral to RD. For those who are deferred, I think they say they'll reconsider them in April, which I'd guess nearly always means waitlist or delayed rejection. As for how many people get in off the waitlist, it really depends year by year.

Reading last year's NYU thread towards the end is like reading a book that doesn't have all the pages and just suddenly ends.


1L here, applied ED --> rolled to RD --> WL --> Accepted.

From what I saw, the vast majority did not get "reviewed again" in April, but were WL. That being said, I encountered a good number of other TLSers who had originally been ED end up getting accepted off the WL in the summer.

Just thought I'd pop in to tell you ED-hopefuls that there's still a chance for you even if you end up rolled/WL. If you're willing to wait for NYU, it could very well pay off.

Good luck, everyone!

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 am

Killingly wrote:1L here, applied ED --> rolled to RD --> WL --> Accepted.

From what I saw, the vast majority did not get "reviewed again" in April, but were WL. That being said, I encountered a good number of other TLSers who had originally been ED end up getting accepted off the WL in the summer.

Just thought I'd pop in to tell you ED-hopefuls that there's still a chance for you even if you end up rolled/WL. If you're willing to wait for NYU, it could very well pay off.

Good luck, everyone!

I love you, and I love this post, and I have this to say to NYU: I will wait for you. Unlike Kate Winslet on that floating piece of wood in the North Atlantic, I will actually never let go.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, okf731, SevenSeven77 and 13 guests