NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
banjo

Silver

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by banjo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:08 pm

pandamonium13 wrote:
rickyb514 wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
outlookingin wrote:What's up!! Checking in. NYU or Columbia would both be cool, but man am I worried about how much money I would spend out there... whooo-eeee. Unlike the Bay Area, I have no family out here, so nobody to help defray living expenses. Given the high likelihood that Berkeley will pass on me, though... New York!!

Is anybody else concerned about the cost of living? And besides the trope that CLS is good for BigLaw and NYU is good for PI, what are the salient differences between them? Sorry if that is a terribly noob question but I can tell a lot of you guys have been thinking about New York law schools for a long time, and I'm betting you guys have some insight by this point.
I can't really speak to the differences, but I'm pretty concerned about COA in NYC. On the one hand, the prestige whore in me would find it incredibly difficult turning down either school. On the other hand, so expensive...

I'm also concerned about the difficulty of finding decent housing for my significant other and our large dog.
You will have no difficulty finding decent housing in NYC. As for cost, well, good luck. I go to NYU undergrad now and live off campus but there are definitely affordable and safe neighborhoods, so long as you're willing to commute a little bit. Brooklyn is where all the cool kids are anyway.
Checking in. As someone who's been living in NYC for two years since college, I second this. I made the mistake of living in Manhattan my first year but have since moved out to Brooklyn :D
Yeah, I don't think you need to be that worried about finding housing, though I can't speak to the dog issue. Remember that even if you want to live out in NJ, Westchester County (White Plains), or Fairfield County (Stamford etc), it's a relatively tolerable train ride on the Metro North.

Also, although everyone (including me) makes fun of MH, it's actually a nice, quiet neighborhood that might fit your price range. Personally, I would consider living there even if I end up going to NYU. In contrast, Macdougal Street is probably more crowded at 2am than 2pm.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 pm

When you apply for NYU scholarships are the extra essays you have to write sent in with the initial application or do they invite you to apply for certain scholarships after they admit you? Horrible run-on but I think you get what I'm saying.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:26 am

bernaldiaz wrote:When you apply for NYU scholarships are the extra essays you have to write sent in with the initial application or do they invite you to apply for certain scholarships after they admit you? Horrible run-on but I think you get what I'm saying.
It looks to me like you have to submit the essays with the initial application.

For example, from http://www.law.nyu.edu/leadershipprogra ... /index.htm :
Applicants to the Law School may apply for the Jacobson Leadership Program in Law and Business by signing the appropriate statement in the Law School J.D. Application. Interested applicants should also submit a one-page essay of no more than 500 words with the J.D. application.
The pages for the other scholarships all contain similar wording.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 am

Lavitz wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:When you apply for NYU scholarships are the extra essays you have to write sent in with the initial application or do they invite you to apply for certain scholarships after they admit you? Horrible run-on but I think you get what I'm saying.

Applicants to the Law School may apply for the Jacobson Leadership Program in Law and Business by signing the appropriate statement in the Law School J.D. Application. Interested applicants should also submit a one-page essay of no more than 500 words with the J.D. application.
IIRC they'll also let you send in the scholarship essays after you've submitted your actual application (but each essay has individual deadlines I think...). I think the idea is that they don't want your app for scholarships being a reason for holding up your app for actual admission. I didn't even apply for stuff until after being already admitted.

I would call them to double check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Checking in - will be applying ED

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Does anybody here know some of the details surrounding these scholarships (esp. the Jacobson Program)? For example, # of students granted, amount of scholarship, etc.? I've done a preliminary search on the web and on TLS but was not able to find information that addressed those specifics. Do most of NYU's scholarships fall under one of the categories noted on their website, or do most of them fall under the "general law school scholarship" category?

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:01 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Does anybody here know some of the details surrounding these scholarships (esp. the Jacobson Program)? For example, # of students granted, amount of scholarship, etc.? I've done a preliminary search on the web and on TLS but was not able to find information that addressed those specifics. Do most of NYU's scholarships fall under one of the categories noted on their website, or do most of them fall under the "general law school scholarship" category?
Upon further research, here is what I've found:

~3 incoming 1Ls selected for Jacobson. Scholarships can be as much as full-tuition, though they are usually less than that

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

I think they're mostly just Dean's Scholarships. That's what I got and I didn't apply for any of the specific ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

I think they're mostly just Dean's Scholarships. That's what I got and I didn't apply for any of the specific ones.

Dean's scholarship w/ 3.5/176? So they liked your LSAT score or was there something else?

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:19 pm

IIRC, Dean's scholarship encompasses both need and merit.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 pm

Is the Jacobson scholarship new?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Is the Jacobson scholarship new?
only a couple years

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm

indigomachine wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

IIRC they'll also let you send in the scholarship essays after you've submitted your actual application (but each essay has individual deadlines I think...). I think the idea is that they don't want your app for scholarships being a reason for holding up your app for actual admission. I didn't even apply for stuff until after being already admitted.

I would call them to double check.
If anyone confirms this please post

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 am

99.9luft wrote:Checking in. See lots of familiar tars (HAI EICH!). Wishing luck to all!
WOAH didn't see this. Hi dude! So we are applying same cycle, whee. Good luck! :D

june3buggy

New

Post by june3buggy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Checking In!! Good luck to all applicants!!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:20 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
99.9luft wrote:Checking in. See lots of familiar tars (HAI EICH!). Wishing luck to all!
WOAH didn't see this. Hi dude! So we are applying same cycle, whee. Good luck! :D
shoe in

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
shoe in
Long time no see Jam! And I wish :lol: . Maybe with your LSAT score!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
shoe in
we're pretty sure our new median is your LSAT, and your gpa is way the fuck over our 75th. You're definitely getting in

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: WOAH didn't see this. Hi dude! So we are applying same cycle, whee. Good luck! :D
shoe in
we're pretty sure our new median is your LSAT, and your gpa is way the fuck over our 75th. You're definitely getting in
I like this. :mrgreen: And I hope so - we shall see.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Just submitted! Still thinking I might early decision, but I have a couple months to switch if need be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: Long time no see Jam! And I wish :lol: . Maybe with your LSAT score!
I like this. :mrgreen: And I hope so - we shall see.
I just hope we give you enough money to keep you from going to HYS

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: I like this. :mrgreen: And I hope so - we shall see.
Haha you sir, are ridiculous. But I like you. ;)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: I like this. :mrgreen: And I hope so - we shall see.
stats don't lie, Eich

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: I just hope we give you enough money to keep you from going to HYS
stats Hips don't lie, Eich
FTFY

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”