NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
I called and they said they were OO Friday and Monday and so appeals will be replied to either today or tomorrow. Not giving us much time to mull it over.



Have you made a decision yet Mega?


With some hesitation, decided to withdraw after they gave me no aid.

The final COA difference of over 100k seemed too big a gap to justify.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

megagnarley wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
I called and they said they were OO Friday and Monday and so appeals will be replied to either today or tomorrow. Not giving us much time to mull it over.



Have you made a decision yet Mega?


With some hesitation, decided to withdraw after they gave me no aid.

The final COA difference of over 100k seemed too big a gap to justify.


I say, good call my friend!

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby megagnarley » Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
I called and they said they were OO Friday and Monday and so appeals will be replied to either today or tomorrow. Not giving us much time to mull it over.



Have you made a decision yet Mega?


With some hesitation, decided to withdraw after they gave me no aid.

The final COA difference of over 100k seemed too big a gap to justify.


I say, good call my friend!


Gracias, amigo!

All I had to do was make the money real in my head and begin picturing what one could accomplish with $100,000. Given that $100 is a fortune to me right now, casually giving away 1,000x that much seemed illogical at best.

Alas, if only loans were monopoly money.

Best of luck to all those waiting.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby sublime » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 pm

..

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Thu May 30, 2013 12:29 am

sublime wrote:Does anyone have any insight to how serious NYU is about averaging LSATs. I am at/slightly above median GPA with a 166, would I really need a 176 to be looked at as a 171 applicant or not really? Thanks


i'm 2000% sure nyu does not give 1 single fuck about averaging.

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby chadbrochill » Thu May 30, 2013 12:33 am

.
Last edited by chadbrochill on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ssteiner
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ssteiner » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 am

chadbrochill wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:
sublime wrote:Does anyone have any insight to how serious NYU is about averaging LSATs. I am at/slightly above median GPA with a 166, would I really need a 176 to be looked at as a 171 applicant or not really? Thanks


i'm 2000% sure nyu does not give 1 single fuck about averaging.


In the "Do retakes matter?" thread it seems NYU does factor it in: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=209878

But with the legal market the way it is, I think 2-3 takes is the new norm and TLS wisdom seems to think its irresponsible to not use all the takes you can. With their large class size, dropping applicants and high median/75th maybe they tend to loosen up towards the end of the cycle?


Anecdotal evidence here, but I took the LSAT twice and had a 10-point jump. They definitely did not hold my first LSAT score against me, accepted me quickly and gave me a good scholarship to boot.

User avatar
Greeno
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Greeno » Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 pm

chadbrochill wrote:In the "Do retakes matter?" thread it seems NYU does factor it in: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=209878

But with the legal market the way it is, I think 2-3 takes is the new norm and TLS wisdom seems to think its irresponsible to not use all the takes you can. With their large class size, dropping applicants and high median/75th maybe they tend to loosen up towards the end of the cycle?


I think this is right. I went 166/171/168 (yeah... Don't ask) for an average of 168 and my GPA was a little below median. I ED'd and someone with just 171/3.65 would typically be in with ED. I had to show a lot of interest and eventually got pulled off the WL (who can turn down a sure thing? They probably need that 171 right now). So I do think averaging matters initially for someone with 3 takes. With 2, its probably assumed that the later score is more representative. At the end of the day, 170+ scores are harder to find these days.

mantunes
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby mantunes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:20 pm

i'm guessing another round should be coming out tomorrow?

alphebetagamma
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby alphebetagamma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 am

mantunes wrote:i'm guessing another round should be coming out tomorrow?


what makes you guess that? (jw)

chadbrochill
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby chadbrochill » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 am

alphebetagamma wrote:
mantunes wrote:i'm guessing another round should be coming out tomorrow?


what makes you guess that? (jw)


I had this week pegged for a while since major action happened last year. It still kinda seems like an exciting week since a round of deposits has passed, HLS just had a round of WL acceptances, and other schools seem to be gearing up for another round of WL-acceptances before their mid-June deposit deadlines.

All just pure speculation but anything to keep us positive right?

alphebetagamma
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby alphebetagamma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 am

chadbrochill wrote:
alphebetagamma wrote:
mantunes wrote:i'm guessing another round should be coming out tomorrow?


what makes you guess that? (jw)


I had this week pegged for a while since major action happened last year. It still kinda seems like an exciting week since a round of deposits has passed, HLS just had a round of WL acceptances, and other schools seem to be gearing up for another round of WL-acceptances before their mid-June deposit deadlines.

All just pure speculation but anything to keep us positive right?


I like your thinking!

atomist
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby atomist » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 am

chadbrochill wrote:
alphebetagamma wrote:
mantunes wrote:i'm guessing another round should be coming out tomorrow?


what makes you guess that? (jw)


I had this week pegged for a while since major action happened last year. It still kinda seems like an exciting week since a round of deposits has passed, HLS just had a round of WL acceptances, and other schools seem to be gearing up for another round of WL-acceptances before their mid-June deposit deadlines.

All just pure speculation but anything to keep us positive right?


I'll take it!

There seems to have been a number of admits in the first few days of June in the past according to the graph here, although not as many as in May. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=207969

Is it worthwhile sending a second LOCI at this point? NYU has been my number one choice since day one but I'm convinced I won't get off the waitlist unless I retake the LSAT, which I'm doing.

User avatar
Save_Ferris
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Save_Ferris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:24 pm

For anyone keeping track. Submitted an appeal to financial aid last week. Award changed from 0 to 37.5k (PM for details). Deposited today! Good luck to everyone still waiting - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more acceptances this week!

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Anyone else who got in last week make a decision to deposit or withdraw yet?

User avatar
LeeAdama
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby LeeAdama » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:43 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Anyone else who got in last week make a decision to deposit or withdraw yet?


I deposited last week and withdrew from everywhere else; I'll be there in the fall.

mantunes
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby mantunes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm

would it be worth sending another LOCI at this time? or would it not make it in time?

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby porch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:11 pm

.
Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mantunes
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby mantunes » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm

my last one was in april. my UR date has not changed. It still says confirmed on wait list.

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby porch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:19 pm

.
Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:04 pm

No new admits so far this week? Not even feeler calls?

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby amsong » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:07 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:No new admits so far this week? Not even feeler calls?


Nooope. I've decided that NYU adcomm personally hates me in particular.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:22 pm

amsong wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:No new admits so far this week? Not even feeler calls?


Nooope. I've decided that NYU adcomm personally hates me in particular.

not just you.

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby porch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:48 pm

.
Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Maybe now it's going to switch from being a week-to-week trickle to monthly waves. Not sure which is better.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”