NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby fallingup » Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 am

Just wrote:financial aid, final stage of review, anyone else in the same boat?


Yup

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 am

fallingup wrote:
Just wrote:financial aid, final stage of review, anyone else in the same boat?


Yup


Today or tomorrow we should hear back, I'm calling it.

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bailey8078 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
fallingup wrote:
Just wrote:financial aid, final stage of review, anyone else in the same boat?


Yup


Today or tomorrow we should hear back, I'm calling it.

If it's not today I'm calling them. 2 business days to decide where i drop a quarter million seems rushed

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:33 am

bailey8078 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
fallingup wrote:
Just wrote:financial aid, final stage of review, anyone else in the same boat?


Yup


Today or tomorrow we should hear back, I'm calling it.

If it's not today I'm calling them. 2 business days to decide where i drop a quarter million seems rushed


This is true. 10 days is not much time at all, and factor in the wait for financial aid and it's kinda ridiculous. The problem with NYU and CLS is they expect such a large number of their students to want to go no matter what and pay sticker and be wowed by the T6/best schools in NY/located in NYC prestige and QOL factors they have going for them. Unfortunately it works on most people...

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bailey8078 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm

We'll see. I'm not getting much from Penn anyway. May turn out that I'm a sucker (probably)

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Eh, I wouldn't call it being a sucker. I think many, many people pay sticker at CCN (although not too sure about Chicago). I think going at sticker and committed to public interest and planning to use NYU's awesome LRAP is a great plan. Biglaw, well, depends on how long you can stay on/what your exit options are. Since I doubt I will go PI (at least at first), I personally don't think I can stomach the debt.

cheerios16
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby cheerios16 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:Ok, so I'm starting to look at housing, the deadline is May 15th, I know I want to go to NYU, but I was waiting to hear about finaid before I submitted my deposit and enrolled....Does anyone have any ideas on how best to negotiate this? If you accept before hearing about finaid will they not give you any?....


I think I am going to send them an email asking if they could extend the housing deadline under the circumstances. I would suggest you do the same, unless you're comfortable paying sticker or forfeiting the deposit?

I don't see an alternative.


JamesDean - did you get a reply when you asked about the housing extension?

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Nope - planning to call soon. Anybody else hear anything?

I would imagine they wouldn't have a problem with it. They do admit people after the deadline after all, some of whom I know of who have ended up living in the student housing. My suspicion is that it's more a priority deadline than a firm cutoff.

User avatar
Jacq2212
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Jacq2212 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 pm

I talked to financial aid this morning they said that we should hear back Thursday or Friday about financial aid. I've decided against on campus housing so I didn't call them.

cheerios16
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby cheerios16 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:25 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Nope - planning to call soon. Anybody else hear anything?

I would imagine they wouldn't have a problem with it. They do admit people after the deadline after all, some of whom I know of who have ended up living in the student housing. My suspicion is that it's more a priority deadline than a firm cutoff.


Cool. Thanks!

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bailey8078 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:I talked to financial aid this morning they said that we should hear back Thursday or Friday about financial aid. I've decided against on campus housing so I didn't call them.



Thursday or Friday? Don't we have to mail the check Friday?

User avatar
Jacq2212
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Jacq2212 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm

bailey8078 wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:I talked to financial aid this morning they said that we should hear back Thursday or Friday about financial aid. I've decided against on campus housing so I didn't call them.



Thursday or Friday? Don't we have to mail the check Friday?


Why do people keep thinking of checks, just submit it electronically :)

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bailey8078 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm

My bad. I guess I was just thinking when the form said "this form must be received by 5/20 they meant the physical form. Cool. I'll look for the digital version. Still an absurd turn around

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby fallingup » Tue May 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:
Why do people keep thinking of checks, just submit it electronically :)


Because most schools only accept checks

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Just » Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Nope - planning to call soon. Anybody else hear anything?

I would imagine they wouldn't have a problem with it. They do admit people after the deadline after all, some of whom I know of who have ended up living in the student housing. My suspicion is that it's more a priority deadline than a firm cutoff.


Emailed them. "We will not extend deadlines but will continue to accept applications and assign residents until all spaces are filled."

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Just wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Nope - planning to call soon. Anybody else hear anything?

I would imagine they wouldn't have a problem with it. They do admit people after the deadline after all, some of whom I know of who have ended up living in the student housing. My suspicion is that it's more a priority deadline than a firm cutoff.


Emailed them. "We will not extend deadlines but will continue to accept applications and assign residents until all spaces are filled."


I got the same email. I just called as well to confirm - they didn't make it seem like the housing would be completely gone after the deadline, only that it will get harder and harder to get your first choice. So sign up asap basically.

I'm also in final stage of review...it's looking like we will hear tomorrow at this point. I can't imagine they would take until Thurs or Fri under the circumstances. That said, it wouldn't be the first time admissions/financial aid offices have surprised me (in a bad way lol).

ETA: Also, they said 1 BRs and studios fill up especially fast (as mentioned on the website I think).

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 am

Today's the day I can feel it...

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bailey8078 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:Today's the day I can feel it...

I hope you're right. I'm pretty sure I've decided to go anyway. But hopefully they give me something to make it easier

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 am

If it was sticker NYU vs. sticker Penn I'd take NYU in a heartbeat. My scholarship at Penn makes life difficult :? (but also less expensive in the end hopefully lol).

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Just » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

sticker, oh well

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby fallingup » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

sticker, will not be attending

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

Nothing on mine yet, does it show up on the status page or the home page?

Sorry guys...I have a feeling I will be following you shortly.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:Nothing on mine yet, does it show up on the status page or the home page?

Sorry guys...I have a feeling I will be following you shortly.



Just wrote:sticker, oh well


You were deferred ED right? Are you going still?

bailey8078
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bailey8078 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:03 am

I got the email but dont have flash. Stupid phone.....

Just
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Just » Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Nothing on mine yet, does it show up on the status page or the home page?

Sorry guys...I have a feeling I will be following you shortly.



Just wrote:sticker, oh well


You were deferred ED right? Are you going still?


yep, how can one appeal?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, CaptKangaroo, hip to be Square, lillawyer2 and 13 guests