NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GertrudeR

New

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by GertrudeR » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:48 pm

sokomofo wrote:i posted this on another thread as well, but if the financial award letter says that the award is final, does it mean that we cant negotiate further with offers from other schools?
+1

I was looking through last year's thread and found that when applicants asked admissions about negotiating their scholarships they were told to go to the My Appeal section of https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html.

There is definitely no My Appeal section on the site but it was unclear if maybe that was something that got added once you informed the admissions office that you wanted to negotiate....

Has anyone tried negotiating this year?

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:57 pm

risa wrote:Yeah, there are definitely multiple panels interviewing that day. From the selection process info on the RTK site:
Each interview panel is chaired by a federal judge, and consists of a faculty member, distinguished alumni, and current Root-Tilden-Kern scholars. Based upon the recommendation of these panels, the program directors name the Root-Tilden-Kern scholars.
ETA: Also, I'm a little unclear. Is it 20 total, including all the named ones (D'Agostino, Jacobson, Sinsheimer, etc.) or is it 20 plain RTK + all of those ones?
Based on the Scholar Profiles page it looks like there are 20 public interest in total, including the various specialty ones like the Jacobson and D'Agostino.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 pm

02889 wrote:
risa wrote: Based on the Scholar Profiles page it looks like there are 20 public interest in total, including the various specialty ones like the Jacobson and D'Agostino.
Reading that link leads me to believe NYU may have some serious self selection effecting their biglaw numbers.

orbotop

New

Post by orbotop » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:12 pm

thats correct -- if you request reconsideration of your aid award, youll be provided the link
GertrudeR wrote:
sokomofo wrote:i posted this on another thread as well, but if the financial award letter says that the award is final, does it mean that we cant negotiate further with offers from other schools?
+1

I was looking through last year's thread and found that when applicants asked admissions about negotiating their scholarships they were told to go to the My Appeal section of https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html.

There is definitely no My Appeal section on the site but it was unclear if maybe that was something that got added once you informed the admissions office that you wanted to negotiate....

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:14 pm

sinfiery wrote:
02889 wrote:
risa wrote: Based on the Scholar Profiles page it looks like there are 20 public interest in total, including the various specialty ones like the Jacobson and D'Agostino.
Reading that link leads me to believe NYU may have some serious self selection effecting their biglaw numbers.
I'm not sure I completely follow you, but maybe I do. Are you saying their big law numbers may be hurt by the fact that they're giving some of the highest scholarships to students not heading to big law?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:28 pm

02889 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:They don't send out these letters every year. Heads up on that. Sorry to increase anxiety, but its only fair to let you know.
Wow, so the only way you know you're out of consideration is if you receive notice of your financial aid package instead of an interview invitation? Do you know if this is NYU's general named scholarship policy this year or just AnBryce?
Yes. In the years that they don't send out the letters, you would just receive the financial aid package.

applemaroon

Bronze

Post by applemaroon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 pm

risa wrote: I'm not sure I completely follow you, but maybe I do. Are you saying their big law numbers may be hurt by the fact that they're giving some of the highest scholarships to students not heading to big law?
Exactly. From what I understand, firms don't say, hire 35 associates from NYU but hire associates upto the top x% in ranking plus y other factors.

Plus, maybe NYU draws more PI based on the culture that stems from these types of scholarships plus surely other campus events. More self selection.

I don't know if I want biglaw but I may for a few years so its a bit comforting.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm

applemaroon wrote:
orbotop wrote:thats correct -- if you request reconsideration of your aid award, youll be provided the link
GertrudeR wrote:
+1

I'm in the process. Submitted my appeal on a few weeks ago, as of now no word. I'll keep you posted, though.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 am

losing hope for RTK after radio silence... AHHH PLEASE NYU SHOW ME SOME LOVE!!!

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm

I would really like for NYU to accept me already.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm

amsong wrote:I would really like for NYU to accept me already.
+1,000,000

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Do we agree that acceptances are still coming ? Or are we waiting for a huge WL / reject day ?

Jacq2212

Bronze

Post by Jacq2212 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
+1,000,000

LOL, I too am holding out hope that silence means I'm being considered for RTK....

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Do we agree that acceptances are still coming ? Or are we waiting for a huge WL / reject day ?
We will be waitlisted in a month or so.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
We will be waitlisted in a month or so.
So no acceptances ?!?!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
You know, I wouldn't be shocked if I (and others with similar numbers) didn't get in at this point, but that's mostly because I am incapable of having emotions about law school right now. I do however think that me and my companeros with similar splittery numbers should get in, especially given the huge reverse splitter acceptance wave recently.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
You know, I wouldn't be shocked if I (and others with similar numbers) didn't get in at this point, but that's mostly because I am incapable of having emotions about law school right now. I do however think that me and my companeros with similar splittery numbers should get in, especially given the huge reverse splitter acceptance wave recently.
Well, that's what I'm thinking myself. There are a lot of auto admit people still waiting in the wind and I'm not sure if we have given up on NYU to do another wave of admissions ?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:24 pm

toothbrush wrote:
francesfarmer wrote: You know, I wouldn't be shocked if I (and others with similar numbers) didn't get in at this point, but that's mostly because I am incapable of having emotions about law school right now. I do however think that me and my companeros with similar splittery numbers should get in, especially given the huge reverse splitter acceptance wave recently.
Well, that's what I'm thinking myself. There are a lot of auto admit people still waiting in the wind and I'm not sure if we have given up on NYU to do another wave of admissions ?
I'm going to say as I've said a million times that they are being weird as fuck this cycle. NYU, I just don't get you, and frankly its a turn-off.

So yeah I don't know I think they're gonna let in the auto-admits and hopefully me.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Aaaaannnnddddd under review again.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

digifly wrote:Aaaaannnnddddd under review again.
I think waitlists are solidly an April thing, so I'd say you should take this as a good sign.

USCbusinessgrad

New

Post by USCbusinessgrad » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Saaaaamme for me.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

02889 wrote:
I think waitlists are solidly an April thing, so I'd say you should take this as a good sign.
Woo hoo! Haha. But do you think it's safe to assume there will be no scholarships accompanying an acceptance at this point?
USCbusinessgrad wrote:
Saaaaamme for me.
Hello USCbg!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

digifly wrote:
02889 wrote:
Woo hoo! Haha. But do you think it's safe to assume there will be no scholarships accompanying an acceptance at this point?
They really just started sending out scholarship packages in the last couple of weeks, so I don't think there's a reason to assume that if you're accepted soon you won't get a scholarship just because it's March.

On the other hand, they've been pretty stingy to people with stellar numbers so whether to expect a scholarship at all for that reason is the better question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”