NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby dsn32 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Crowing wrote:
demarco5 wrote:
dpm54 wrote:I've been under review since October. No movement since. Does anyone know what this could be about? Is this normal?


Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. In my head I'm unofficially waitlisted.


I am as well. Most likely they are holding us for mass WLs which start in early April iirc.


I fully expect the early April WL as well (UR 10/17). That would make CCN all WLs for me haha. I feel like the odds of getting off of one of the three WLs have to at least be non-zero, right?

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

dsn32 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
demarco5 wrote:
dpm54 wrote:I've been under review since October. No movement since. Does anyone know what this could be about? Is this normal?


Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. In my head I'm unofficially waitlisted.


I am as well. Most likely they are holding us for mass WLs which start in early April iirc.


I fully expect the early April WL as well (UR 10/17). That would make CCN all WLs for me haha. I feel like the odds of getting off of one of the three WLs have to at least be non-zero, right?


Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL and NYU took a bunch too.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

sc-123 wrote:
02889 wrote:Sorry to hear about the dings today!

I had my UR date update to today's date. I'm a deferred ED and the last update was UR 12/13, the date of my deferral email. Any other deferred EDs get this? I'm pretty nervous about it.


I didn't get a UR update, still stuck at 12/13 which was, as you mentioned, the date of the deferral e-mail. I wouldn't try to read into the tea leaves too much, if anything your update is a good thing, they didn't just toss you into the WL pile after getting deferred from ED. Congrats on your cycle so far! I'm still waiting for my first acceptance, have a feeling it might be awhile.

Thanks for this! I have strong doubts that this is a good thing. I think at best it was a computer blip, and I won't see any change until WLs go out. At worst, my path ends slightly earlier than expected.

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Crowing wrote:
Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL


wow. seriously?

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL


wow. seriously?


I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist

Probably like 100 / 1 million.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

I had an adcomm explain to me that the WL is oftentimes a trickle down effect. Sometimes, something happens with the HYS class and they do a considerable about of WL action. Because of that, CCN would then go to the WL as their students withdraw to go to HYS, and so goes down the T14. Not saying that's how it always happens, but that can account for any unusually large WL action on a given year.

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby dsn32 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Crowing wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
demarco5 wrote: Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. In my head I'm unofficially waitlisted.


I am as well. Most likely they are holding us for mass WLs which start in early April iirc.


I fully expect the early April WL as well (UR 10/17). That would make CCN all WLs for me haha. I feel like the odds of getting off of one of the three WLs have to at least be non-zero, right?


Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL and NYU took a bunch too.


Good to know UChi is still in play. Do you know if many of the WL>Admit people got any $$$?

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:48 pm

02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist

Probably like 100 / 1 million.


but if u had numbers in play for CCN then if any waitlist action happens you'll be first to get some.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:I had an adcomm explain to me that the WL is oftentimes a trickle down effect. Sometimes, something happens with the HYS class and they do a considerable about of WL action. Because of that, CCN would then go to the WL as their students withdraw to go to HYS, and so goes down the T14. Not saying that's how it always happens, but that can account for any unusually large WL action on a given year.


Yeah, which means its much better if you're on the waitlist at a lower T14 than CCN, because the "trickle down effect" is more pronounced the farther down the latter you go. Idk about N, but CC are stingy enough if you're admitted; I can't imagine they would provide much in the way of scholarships if you get in off the waitlist.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist

Probably like 100 / 1 million.


but if u had numbers in play for CCN then if any waitlist action happens you'll be first to get some.


True, but a lot of people waitlisted at CCN have numbers in play, i.e. people above both medians (and even above both 75ths).

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:
02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist

Probably like 100 / 1 million.


but if u had numbers in play for CCN then if any waitlist action happens you'll be first to get some.


True, but a lot of people waitlisted at CCN have numbers in play, i.e. people above both medians (and even above both 75ths).


i refuse to believe ppl above both medians and even above both 75ths fail to snag 1 of HYSCCN

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby spyke123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I havent broken T6... well not yet..

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 pm

@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...


Source?

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...



Crowing said Chicago took half of their classes from waitlist, that's 80 people(conservative of half). We know from last year's thread people below both medians got called back by NYU, apparently they were desperate.

and also, 173+ LSAT takers > seats at HYSCCN =/= 173>HYSCCN acceptances sent out

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby LRGhost » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...


Source?


It doesn't matter. If you take 173+s/median HYSCCN GPA, you don't have enough to fill all the seats. Even if you just did CCN, you probably don't have enough.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...


Someone did the math once, and there are not that many people who are above medians for both. High LSAT scorers include a lot of re-takes, people who decide against law school, and a lot of people who do not have a good GPA and thus have to try to make up for it with a good LSAT. So long as nothing is BAD in your app, I think people above both medians will get into one of CCN (honestly, I see no point in including HYS in this shendig, cuz fuck medians, thats why)

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:40 pm

LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...


Source?


It doesn't matter. If you take 173+s/median HYSCCN GPA, you don't have enough to fill all the seats. Even if you just did CCN, you probably don't have enough.



just reading this gave me a semi, thank you LRGhost

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby LRGhost » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...


Source?


It doesn't matter. If you take 173+s/median HYSCCN GPA, you don't have enough to fill all the seats. Even if you just did CCN, you probably don't have enough.



just reading this gave me a semi, thank you LRGhost


<3

delarge3
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby delarge3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...


Source?


It doesn't matter. If you take 173+s/median HYSCCN GPA, you don't have enough to fill all the seats. Even if you just did CCN, you probably don't have enough.


True story. HYSCCN had ~1900 students in the class of 2015. 130,000 people took the LSAT for the 2012-2013 cycle. 1% of that (172+) is 1,300. This doesn't take into account people with high LSATs who aren't applying, have GPAs that are too low, or just straight up gunning for other schools (I'm sure they exist).

There's a reason HYSCCN medians are 170-173. There's just not that many applicants with better numbers.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Half is probably an exaggeration and I don't know the exact number. What I do know is that there were at least 20 reported WL admits on TLS alone for Chicago last cycle, so the total number is likely to be pretty high.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Well it's official, y'all have made me an optimist, I stand corrected.

I was also factoring in people applying this cycle with high lsat scores from previous testing years, as I think this accounts for a decent number of people (I am one of those people, and have three friends with scores in the 172-176 range from 2-3 years ago that are applying this cycle), but even so, once you take out the splitters, it wouldn't be close to that ~1900 figure.

Go waitlist 8) .

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Adcoms reading this thread page: :cry:

Us: 8)

User avatar
longlivetheking
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Well it's official, y'all have made me an optimist, I stand corrected.

I was also factoring in people applying this cycle with high lsat scores from previous testing years, as I think this accounts for a decent number of people (I am one of those people, and have three friends with scores in the 172-176 range from 2-3 years ago that are applying this cycle), but even so, once you take out the splitters, it wouldn't be close to that ~1900 figure.

Go waitlist 8) .



should also take into consideration people this cycle who got 172+ lsat scores but chose to sit out this cycle for whatever reason (ie do not want to be a lawyer)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”