NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PRgradBYU

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 pm

ph5354a wrote:Just to clarify, anybody who received scholarship info (besides Vanderbilt) submitted need access already right? For those of you haven't heard anything, that's probably why.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I checked the admitted J.D. students page and it gives VERY vague instructions on how to submit the Need Access application. Do you know how to?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Just to clarify, anybody who received scholarship info (besides Vanderbilt) submitted need access already right? For those of you haven't heard anything, that's probably why.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I checked the admitted J.D. students page and it gives VERY vague instructions on how to submit the Need Access application. Do you know how to?

http://www.needaccess.org/home.aspx

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 pm

does this only cover ppl that did NOT apply for named shollys?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm

az21833 wrote:does this only cover ppl that did NOT apply for named shollys?

I don't really know what you're asking, but need access is required for everyone who wants institutional aid. I read somewhere that for people who are offered named scholarships, you're still required to submit need access before your aid package is finalized. As to whether or not anyone who applied for a named scholarship has received their aid package yet, I'm not sure, but I haven't heard of anyone yet. I'm not sure if they wait to evaluate your need access form until after the interviews are finalized.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 pm

So Need schollys are a huge flame for NYU, right? Should I say screw trying to track down my mother to get her data since she hasn't given me a red cent in 11 years? Also, my father left when I was a baby and I've never met him... how do I fill out his form?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 pm

ph5354a wrote:

I don't really know what you're asking, but need access is required for everyone who wants institutional aid. I read somewhere that for people who are offered named scholarships, you're still required to submit need access before your aid package is finalized. As to whether or not anyone who applied for a named scholarship has received their aid package yet, I'm not sure, but I haven't heard of anyone yet. I'm not sure if they wait to evaluate your need access form until after the interviews are finalized.

yeah sorry i meant the latter - whether those who applied have heard anything back from NYU or radio silence

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:So Need schollys are a huge flame for NYU, right? Should I say screw trying to track down my mother to get her data since she hasn't given me a red cent in 11 years? Also, my father left when I was a baby and I've never met him... how do I fill out his form?

I'd say contact NYU financial aid and explain your circumstances. I had to do something similar for undergrad financial aid. It required information from both parents, and I was raised solely by my mother with no contact from my father. I had to fill out a form, and never had to get information from my father.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 pm

az21833 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

yeah sorry i meant the latter - whether those who applied have heard anything back from NYU or radio silence

I haven't, but ill definitely keep you posted if/when I do hear anything.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 am

HankBashir wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:So Need schollys are a huge flame for NYU, right? Should I say screw trying to track down my mother to get her data since she hasn't given me a red cent in 11 years? Also, my father left when I was a baby and I've never met him... how do I fill out his form?

I'd say contact NYU financial aid and explain your circumstances. I had to do something similar for undergrad financial aid. It required information from both parents, and I was raised solely by my mother with no contact from my father. I had to fill out a form, and never had to get information from my father.

Yeah, sent the e-mail. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
HankBashir wrote:

Yeah, sent the e-mail. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Noodley, here's the language from NYU if it helps at all. You shouldn't need to do this for the FAFSA since that doesn't require parent info anyways. It looks like NYU is all about the formal documentation. Good luck!

"What if my parents are unwilling to complete the Need Access Financial Aid Application?
In order to be fair to all of the students and families who comply with this requirement, applications without parental information will not be considered for any institutional aid. Requests for exemption from this policy are handled on a case-by-case basis and are granted only in extraordinary circumstances. If you believe your family situation warrants an exemption for one or both parents, you may submit a formal written appeal to our office setting forth the basis of the request. You must provide detailed information and, whenever possible, documentation in support of the appeal (e.g., court documents, letters from social worker, member of the clergy)."

porch

Postby porch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Just sent them an email with a letter and got a response in two minutes. Hopefully this will help me get some movement from the 12/12 UR and keep me away from the waitlist. I really want NYU

trobriander

Postby trobriander » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42 pm

abcde12345 wrote:Still at 12/26. Anyone with me?

I wish. I've been UR since 11/13, zero movement. Not auto-admit but not auto-WL/zing either. Does anyone recommend contacting admissions?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Just got my offer. $35k per year for the first two, and $17,500 for the third (unless I make less than $15k during 2L summer, in which case back to $35k for the third). I'm pretty pleased with this...going to make deciding a little more difficult, with the full rides from UVA and Michigan.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Just got my offer. $35k per year for the first two, and $17,500 for the third (unless I make less than $15k during 2L summer, in which case back to $35k for the third). I'm pretty pleased with this...going to make deciding a little more difficult, with the full rides from UVA and Michigan.

Similar offer, minus the full rides at V and M part.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:49 pm

trobriander wrote:I wish. I've been UR since 11/13, zero movement. Not auto-admit but not auto-WL/zing either. Does anyone recommend contacting admissions?

I wish someone would contact, because some of us have auto-admit numbers (or at least highly competitive numbers). But we'll probably get a bureaucratic response: "All apps are considered in their fullest blah blah blah"

trobriander

Postby trobriander » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
trobriander wrote:I wish. I've been UR since 11/13, zero movement. Not auto-admit but not auto-WL/zing either. Does anyone recommend contacting admissions?

I wish someone would contact, because some of us have auto-admit numbers (or at least highly competitive numbers). But we'll probably get a bureaucratic response: "All apps are considered in their fullest blah blah blah"

Yeah, that's exactly what's stopping me, because I'm definitely in that boat. I feel like it's not completely out of line because three months is kind of ridiculous especially when we all applied relatively early. I would at least appreciate a response saying "we have too many applications and you'll hear from us soon; we haven't forgotten about you."

curious66

Postby curious66 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:04 pm

trobriander wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what's stopping me, because I'm definitely in that boat. I feel like it's not completely out of line because three months is kind of ridiculous especially when we all applied relatively early. I would at least appreciate a response saying "we have too many applications and you'll hear from us soon; we haven't forgotten about you."

agreed. and I too don't think the phone call is going to yield anything in terms of new info.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm

shntn wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:Just got my offer. $35k per year for the first two, and $17,500 for the third (unless I make less than $15k during 2L summer, in which case back to $35k for the third). I'm pretty pleased with this...going to make deciding a little more difficult, with the full rides from UVA and Michigan.

Just received my offer as well. $20k for 1L and 2L, and $10k for 3L. Although, I can't find the stips- does anyone know off the top of their head? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to negotiate these amounts?

jubee

Postby jubee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:09 pm

clouded.memory wrote:
shntn wrote:

Just received my offer as well. $20k for 1L and 2L, and $10k for 3L. Although, I can't find the stips- does anyone know off the top of their head? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to negotiate these amounts?

how long ago did you guys submit your fafsa/need access? wondering what the turn around time typically is.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm

jubee wrote:how long ago did you guys submit your fafsa/need access? wondering what the turn around time typically is.

FAFSA last week, Need Access on Monday.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:11 pm

shntn wrote:
jubee wrote:how long ago did you guys submit your fafsa/need access? wondering what the turn around time typically is.

I submitted my FAFSA during the second to last week of January, and Need Access on January 30.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Congrats to all of those of you with scholarships! For those who heard today, are any of you January admits? Trying to figure out if admit-date is correlated to when you get your scholarship package or not. Also, did any of you also apply to a named scholarship or no? Thanks!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 pm

shntn wrote:

Congrats Shntn, that's an awesome offer!

It seems like just yesterday Sunny was telling me that I "suck at life" when I pointed out how amusing it was that CCN w/ money locks where sweating out getting into the Vandys and the Michigans of the law school world. This cycle has been a trying and stressful one for us all but I am glad to have suffered through it with this group. I mean that sincerely.

Congrats bro, you deserve it!

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm

shntn wrote:

Need Access a couple weeks ago, FAFSA on Monday. Pretty quick turnaround, I'm impressed. I was an early December admit.
Last edited by elterrible78 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:Congrats Shntn, that's an awesome offer!

It seems like just yesterday Sunny was telling me that I "suck at life" when I pointed out how amusing it was that CCN w/ money locks where sweating out getting into the Vandys and the Michigans of the law school world. This cycle has been a trying and stressful one for us all but I am glad to have suffered through it with this group. I mean that sincerely.

Congrats bro, you deserve it!

Thanks, it's definitely an interesting offer that I honestly wasn't expecting. And +1 to the stressful cycle. The past months have been...very trying indeed.

And yeah, that was sunny being a bit protective of me. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”