NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
longlivetheking

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Big Dog wrote:
trust me nyu's dead poor
hahahaha.

NYU is in the top ~25 for endowments. :P

in total? sure. on a per-student basis?

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:23 pm

crowing,

If I remember correctly, you ED to penn but was held right? Have they gotten back to you?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 pm

spyke123 wrote:crowing,

If I remember correctly, you ED to penn but was held right? Have they gotten back to you?
naw. i dont think any held EDers have heard back yet. But im not too concerned about it because historically i think everybody just gets WLed eventually.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh yay, ranking predictions! I'm betting 4. Chicago & Columbia, while NYU remains at 6.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 pm

is it me, or do i feel like instead of loosening admission standards, schools are tightening up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Crowing wrote:
spyke123 wrote:crowing,

naw. i dont think any held EDers have heard back yet. But im not too concerned about it because historically i think everybody just gets WLed eventually.
dang that sucks. would you pick nyu or penn over chicago though?

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 pm

longlivetheking wrote:is it me, or do i feel like instead of loosening admission standards, schools are tightening up.
I agree.. my cycle so far hasnt been great...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Also, apparently tuition accounts for 55% of NYU's revenue, which is massive... at my school, tuition is only about 20% of the revenue, with our med school taking in something like 60%. See: http://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publicati ... etail.html

ETA: Here's a more updated report: http://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publicati ... harts.html

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Penn's USNWR score is 87. NYU is 92. There is no way NYU will fall to #7 this year.

There is also no way NYU will cut class sizes. The university is ~3 billion in debt and planning a controversial expansion into more of GW. They have exotic international campuses to support. They have to continue recruiting potential faculty with multi-million dollar condos. This is a university that held its graduation ceremony at Yankee stadium one year...

Chicago might manage to tie CLS this year, which is probably still a disappointment for the law school, considering how many rubies have been given out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 pm

banjo wrote:Penn's USNWR score is 87. NYU is 92. There is no way NYU will fall to #7 this year.

There is also no way NYU will cut class sizes. The university is ~3 billion in debt and planning a controversial expansion into more of GW. They have exotic international campuses to support. They have to continue recruiting potential faculty with multi-million dollar condos. This is a university that held its graduation ceremony at Yankee stadium one year...

Chicago might manage to tie CLS this year, which is probably still a disappointment for the law school, considering how many rubies have been given out.

THIS.

but why isn't nyu loosening admission standards? they haven't taken almost any splitters and those they have taken are EDs and even in EDs they have rejected some 172+ splitters (gpa 3.4) are they waiting for the waitlist clusterfuck?

but i definitely agree that nyu won't be cutting class size. would be a massive :shock: if they did.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
banjo wrote:Penn's USNWR score is 87. NYU is 92. There is no way NYU will fall to #7 this year.

THIS.

but why isn't nyu loosening admission standards? they haven't taken almost any splitters and those they have taken are EDs and even in EDs they have rejected some 172+ splitters (gpa 3.4) are they waiting for the waitlist clusterfuck?

but i definitely agree that nyu won't be cutting class size. would be a massive :shock: if they did.
Didn't think they were that deep in debt. But FWIW, plenty of the kids at Tisch and such come from rich families, more so than at UPenn or Michigan. But I guess that's sort of but not entirely irrelevant.

I don't think they dip to seventh, but again, why couldn't they overtake Chi since they've been ranked higher before? I certainly hope they take a lot of people off the waitlist again like last year. Their median still isn't out, right? I was gonna guess 171 and figure they keep it there this year.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 pm

they could overtake chicago. but at the cost of losing revenue? the upside of being #5 is incredibly small while the downside of being #7 is huge. i think they would definitely maintain that 171 and stay there. 450 is way too big to start getting the median up to 172/173 in this down cycle

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 pm

longlivetheking wrote:they could overtake chicago. but at the cost of losing revenue? the upside of being #5 is incredibly small while the downside of being #7 is huge. i think they would definitely maintain that 171 and stay there. 450 is way too big to start getting the median up to 172/173 in this down cycle
with this being the last year of rubies i wouldn't be surprised to see NYU take over #5 soon anyway; i don't see any reason for them to push it this year while rubies are still being handed out

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Crowing wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:they could overtake chicago. but at the cost of losing revenue? the upside of being #5 is incredibly small while the downside of being #7 is huge. i think they would definitely maintain that 171 and stay there. 450 is way too big to start getting the median up to 172/173 in this down cycle
with this being the last year of rubies i wouldn't be surprised to see NYU take over #5 soon anyway; i don't see any reason for them to push it this year while rubies are still being handed out

is this a sign that chicago admission standards would start to come down? or they have a backup-ruby waiting.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 pm

LRGhost wrote:I don't think they dip to seventh, but again, why couldn't they overtake Chi since they've been ranked higher before?
I think this is the most recent score data we have:

It looks like NYU is behind on peer and lawyer/judge scores, has a higher acceptance rate, and probably has lower expenditures/student (esp considering Chicago's Ruby program and smaller and smaller class sizes). It has a much lower GPA median and probably the same LSAT median (we'll find out soon enough I guess).

IIRC, Chicago was previously sixth due to some strange accounting practices that underestimated expenditures/student. Leiter might be the only source for this though. NYU even topped CLS one year, allegedly due to an outlier year for CLS in bar passage rates. The USNWR rankings are silly.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
Crowing wrote:

is this a sign that chicago admission standards would start to come down? or they have a backup-ruby waiting.
Chicago had much lower gpa stats before rubies starting rolling out. Now their median is so high but they still probably can't get most 3.9+/171+ who are HYS-bound so what they seem to be doing is just loading up on both traditional and reverse splitters who can't get HYS (people with numbers like 4.0/167 or 3.5/174) and then throwing the rubies at people with the HYS-worthy stats.

I don't have any idea what that really means as far as future admissions standards or rankings go. I mean up to this point rubies haven't changed their USNWR ranking at all, so I don't know if NYU will or won't overtake Chicago when they stop (not like that change would matter anyway though). IIRC USNWR is making big changes to their methodology this year anyway so it's going to be really hard to try and predict any future shifts based on what we know right now.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm

would crowing take nyu over chicago?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm

banjo wrote:
LRGhost wrote:I don't think they dip to seventh, but again, why couldn't they overtake Chi since they've been ranked higher before?
I think this is the most recent score data we have:

It looks like NYU is behind on peer and lawyer/judge scores, has a higher acceptance rate, and probably has lower expenditures/student (esp considering Chicago's Ruby program and smaller and smaller class sizes). It has a much lower GPA median and probably the same LSAT median (we'll find out soon enough I guess).

IIRC, Chicago was previously sixth due to some strange accounting practices that underestimated expenditures/student. Leiter might be the only source for this though. NYU even topped CLS one year, allegedly due to an outlier year for CLS in bar passage rates. The USNWR rankings are silly.
LOL'ed at the employment stats column.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Crowing wrote:rubies and methodology
Why wouldn't they just put up another scholarship program? And IIRC, the only change to methodology is in how employment is factored into the score and we don't really know how they're going to judge it.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 pm

it isn't everyday u find a donor dropping off 10 mil on your adcom desk.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Crowing wrote:rubies and methodology
Why wouldn't they just put up another scholarship program? And IIRC, the only change to methodology is in how employment is factored into the score and we don't really know how they're going to judge it.
rubies aren't from chicago's endowment so there's no guarantee of that continuing in some form or another

and yeah that's the only change to the methodology but it's pretty much an entirely new metric that's gonna comprise like 20% of the rankings and as you said we don't know how exactly they're going to calculate/judge it or whatever with regards to stuff like school-funded positions. so the original point stands: attempting to predict future (even the next) rankings atm is pointless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:07 am

longlivetheking wrote:it isn't everyday u find a donor dropping off 10 mil on your adcom desk.
Yeah, top law schools have wealthy grads, but not many who go on to found large private equity firms. Though, to be fair, David Rubenstein might be able to do another 10 by now.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Updated yesterday after almost 3 months, and now I update again to today's date. Is NYU doing daily updates like Michigan now?

porch

Bronze

Post by porch » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:41 pm

digifly wrote:Updated yesterday after almost 3 months, and now I update again to today's date. Is NYU doing daily updates like Michigan now?
nope. just checked im still at 12/12

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 pm

digifly wrote:Updated yesterday after almost 3 months, and now I update again to today's date. Is NYU doing daily updates like Michigan now?
I am 99% confident youll go DLS soon. congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”