NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby kcam1991 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Just awarded the Vanderbilt full-tuition scholly by snailmail!! AA URM. Stats in profile

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Congrats to all the Vanderbilt & merit scholarship recipients! It seems like NYU is trying hard to make a play for all you HYS types.

alldabest13
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby alldabest13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:23 pm

alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

99% sure they wouldn't decrease.

If you need more money ask soon and say that NYU remains your top choice but with scholly offers from other schools (if you have none, you really have no leverage tbqh) you're unsure if you can bear the financial burden but remain committed to attend NYU if it would more affordable..

alldabest13
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby alldabest13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

toothbrush wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

99% sure they wouldn't decrease.

If you need more money ask soon and say that NYU remains your top choice but with scholly offers from other schools (if you have none, you really have no leverage tbqh) you're unsure if you can bear the financial burden but remain committed to attend NYU if it would more affordable..



I ED'd so basically have no other option other than attending NYU, thats why I'm confused they gave me any money, but now that they did I am curious if I can negotiate (without any leverage) for some more $$

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby trojandave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 pm

alldabest13 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

99% sure they wouldn't decrease.

If you need more money ask soon and say that NYU remains your top choice but with scholly offers from other schools (if you have none, you really have no leverage tbqh) you're unsure if you can bear the financial burden but remain committed to attend NYU if it would more affordable..



I ED'd so basically have no other option other than attending NYU, thats why I'm confused they gave me any money, but now that they did I am curious if I can negotiate (without any leverage) for some more $$


Heh, it's not really negotiating, it's asking. But you've got nothing to lose so why not?

alldabest13
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby alldabest13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:45 pm

trojandave wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

99% sure they wouldn't decrease.

If you need more money ask soon and say that NYU remains your top choice but with scholly offers from other schools (if you have none, you really have no leverage tbqh) you're unsure if you can bear the financial burden but remain committed to attend NYU if it would more affordable..



I ED'd so basically have no other option other than attending NYU, thats why I'm confused they gave me any money, but now that they did I am curious if I can negotiate (without any leverage) for some more $$


Heh, it's not really negotiating, it's asking. But you've got nothing to lose so why not?


Ha yea more like begging, but there's no way they'll decrease their offer right?

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bbsg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I still haven't got my original admission letter (admitted 1/17). Stupid postal system.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby trojandave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

alldabest13 wrote:
trojandave wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.



I ED'd so basically have no other option other than attending NYU, thats why I'm confused they gave me any money, but now that they did I am curious if I can negotiate (without any leverage) for some more $$


Heh, it's not really negotiating, it's asking. But you've got nothing to lose so why not?


Ha yea more like begging, but there's no way they'll decrease their offer right?


I guess it's possible but that's a pretty dick way for them to start you on a 3 year journey and they want you to be excited to attend. It seems like bad faith and they'd potentially risk huge negative fallout. Just be humble and thankful and likeable, don't demand or expect anything, and I think you'll be fine.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby az21833 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 am

maybe they are only giving money to ed this early?

GertrudeR
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby GertrudeR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 am

I didn't ED... I think it just happens pretty quickly after you do FAFSA and need access.

mcb0902
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby mcb0902 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm

GertrudeR wrote:I didn't ED... I think it just happens pretty quickly after you do FAFSA and need access.


+1

I submitted FAFSA and Need Access approx three weeks ago and received a fairly sizable Dean's on Friday. Apparently NYU manages a fast turn around on just about everything they do, which I for one am a fan of.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby az21833 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

nice. im gona get my need in asap and hope i get some of this $$$ before it runs out! just did fafsa yesterday. nothing else right

User avatar
joiedevivre18
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby joiedevivre18 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Are both FAFSA and Need Access necessary?

mcb0902
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby mcb0902 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:39 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:Are both FAFSA and Need Access necessary?


Yes. By the schools that use Need Access (of which NYU is one), FAFSA is used only for calculating federal loan eligibility, as I understand it. Need Access is exclusively used for determining need/merit based grants. NYU doesn't require any further school-specific forms for non-named grants.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby wisteria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:48 pm

wisteria wrote:Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.


Don't worry about it, I think I did that too. I believe the way it works is schools request your files when they're deciding on your financial aid package. It's better to send it to schools now then be late or have to worry about it down the road once you do get in.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby wisteria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 pm

ph5354a wrote:
wisteria wrote:Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.


Don't worry about it, I think I did that too. I believe the way it works is schools request your files when they're deciding on your financial aid package. It's better to send it to schools now then be late or have to worry about it down the road once you do get in.


That's good to hear!

I actually don't intend to apply for any need-based aid because I do have savings (I'm 30+) so I won't qualify anyway. Now that I've sent my financial info to every school, I'm worried that it will negatively affect the merit-based scholarships I might get. Ah well, there's nothing I can do now.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

wisteria wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
wisteria wrote:Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.


Don't worry about it, I think I did that too. I believe the way it works is schools request your files when they're deciding on your financial aid package. It's better to send it to schools now then be late or have to worry about it down the road once you do get in.


That's good to hear!

I actually don't intend to apply for any need-based aid because I do have savings (I'm 30+) so I won't qualify anyway. Now that I've sent my financial info to every school, I'm worried that it will negatively affect the merit-based scholarships I might get. Ah well, there's nothing I can do now.


I know for some schools (NYU included) you aren't eligible for any institutional aid until you give them the right forms, whether its Need Access or their own school-specific form, so I think you would've had to submit it either way. Congrats on getting Need Access out of the way. That bitch was a pain in the ass.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby wisteria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:04 pm

ph5354a wrote:I know for some schools (NYU included) you aren't eligible for any institutional aid until you give them the right forms, whether its Need Access or their own school-specific form, so I think you would've had to submit it either way. Congrats on getting Need Access out of the way. That bitch was a pain in the ass.


Ha, thanks!

I didn't think it was that much of a pain, though. Maybe I did it the wrong way? It's pretty much just a simplified 1040 + your bank account info + some guesstimates of your future expenses/earnings, no? I guess my finances was rather straightforward. People with other assets like houses might have a lot more trouble.

User avatar
ksd2138
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ksd2138 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:27 am

Congrats to everyone who's gotten the call!

I'm 175/3.56 and UR since 11/12.

I've got some good material for a LOCI, but not sure whether to send now, or just wait 'til the inevitable waitlist notification.

Thoughts?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

ksd2138 wrote:Congrats to everyone who's gotten the call!

I'm 175/3.56 and UR since 11/12.

I've got some good material for a LOCI, but not sure whether to send now, or just wait 'til the inevitable waitlist notification.

Thoughts?


I don't think it could hurt to send something small now. Just a quick "hey, I still love you (here's why), do you love me?" kind of letter. But I would hold off on the big guns if/when you are waitlisted. You can take some solace in the fact that on LSN, NYU has a lot of waitlist action for your kind of stats (high LSAT, below median GPA). Good luck!!

User avatar
Jacq2212
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Jacq2212 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 pm

It's been a month since my app went under review, I'm guessing its normal to have such a long time where they aren't reviewing your file? Should I consider sending in an LOCI? I've been accepted at Northwestern but haven't heard back from any of the top ten yet...I <3 New York!

User avatar
hhockberger
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby hhockberger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:It's been a month since my app went under review, I'm guessing its normal to have such a long time where they aren't reviewing your file? Should I consider sending in an LOCI? I've been accepted at Northwestern but haven't heard back from any of the top ten yet...I <3 New York!


Read the post directly above yours

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:It's been a month since my app went under review, I'm guessing its normal to have such a long time where they aren't reviewing your file? Should I consider sending in an LOCI? I've been accepted at Northwestern but haven't heard back from any of the top ten yet...I <3 New York!


Based on last year, we probably shouldn't except too many more outright acceptances since they seem to start waitlisting people soon. I would save your LOCI for that.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BuyaLittleMercy, draymondgreen, GoGreen17, GOODWORKSTE, jdanz, premalone, sec_undergrad, theothercat, tinafeyclone and 19 guests