NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ph5354a

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:42 pm

jychun412 wrote:
pannekoeken wrote:Got the financial aid email today. I got nothing. This will make offers from other "lower-ranked" schools more appealing for sure...

Anyone else get an email or is this just done kinda randomly/on a rolling basis?

I did too. I submitted NeedAccess and FAFSA already.
I got dean's award scholarship. Is this need-based or merit?

Mostly merit, but they say that it can also be a combination of need and merit (i.e. if they're choosing between two worthy candidates, they may consider need as well). Either way, great for you!

one_by_one

Postby one_by_one » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 pm

one_by_one wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
jychun412 wrote:
pannekoeken wrote:Got the financial aid email today. I got nothing. This will make offers from other "lower-ranked" schools more appealing for sure...

Anyone else get an email or is this just done kinda randomly/on a rolling basis?

Mostly merit, but they say that it can also be a combination of need and merit (i.e. if they're choosing between two worthy candidates, they may consider need as well). Either way, great for you!

+1 Congrats!

And thanks for the info pannekoeken- I think they first sent out the email about Need Access being open on January 17th. Regardless, pretty quick turnaround. Although I think I'll be waiting for a WHILE since I applied for a named scholly

Just confirming, one by one, they sent you an email even though you didn't get anything, right? I guess that's nice so you at least aren't waiting around for a package that my not come and can start making a decision. Good luck with the named scholly! I applied to IILJ, hoping to hear about interviews soon. Do you think you'll try to negotiate with NYU at all?

one_by_one

Postby one_by_one » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:53 pm

one_by_one wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
one_by_one wrote:And thanks for the info pannekoeken- I think they first sent out the email about Need Access being open on January 17th. Regardless, pretty quick turnaround. Although I think I'll be waiting for a WHILE since I applied for a named scholly

Just confirming, one by one, they sent you an email even though you didn't get anything, right? I guess that's nice so you at least aren't waiting around for a package that my not come and can start making a decision. Good luck with the named scholly! I applied to IILJ, hoping to hear about interviews soon. Do you think you'll try to negotiate with NYU at all?

Sorry for the confusion - the January 17th email I referred to was just one that said "NYU School of Law Financial Aid Application is Available," and encouraged people to fill out Need Access / FAFSA, with some contact info for people in the Fin Aid office. I haven't heard anything either way, but I just submitted Need Access last week. Browsing thru last year's thread, some named scholly applicants had to wait longer to get any scholly info at all (incl fin aid). And thanks - same to you!

My fault -- I was looking at pan's post and thinking it was you, hah. TGIF.

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:
one_by_one wrote:
jychun412 wrote:

+1 Congrats!

And thanks for the info pannekoeken- I think they first sent out the email about Need Access being open on January 17th. Regardless, pretty quick turnaround. Although I think I'll be waiting for a WHILE since I applied for a named scholly

To clarify, since I think you were asking me, yes, I received an email saying that my financial aid information was ready. I logged into the system and saw a letter that said I did not receive any scholarships but may be eligible for loans (woo...). I'm glad they email you even if you don't get an award, but the way they worded it made it seem like I was getting something, so I was extra disappointed upon viewing that letter.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

pannekoeken wrote:To clarify, since I think you were asking me, yes, I received an email saying that my financial aid information was ready. I logged into the system and saw a letter that said I did not receive any scholarships but may be eligible for loans (woo...). I'm glad they email you even if you don't get an award, but the way they worded it made it seem like I was getting something, so I was extra disappointed upon viewing that letter.

Indeed, thanks for reading my mind :D Yeah, I definitely understand being extra disappointed. Do you think you'll try to negotiate at all based on your other offers?

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Wait, so was the letter we just received about finaid just referring to need-based aid or was it also merit aid (other than the named scholarships)?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm

chickpea wrote:Wait, so was the letter we just received about finaid just referring to need-based aid or was it also merit aid (other than the named scholarships)?

Since someone said they got a Dean's Award, I'm assuming it's both. When did you submit Need Access?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm

ph5354a wrote:
chickpea wrote:Wait, so was the letter we just received about finaid just referring to need-based aid or was it also merit aid (other than the named scholarships)?

Since someone said they got a Dean's Award, I'm assuming it's both. When did you submit Need Access?

Any chance of getting scholarship w/o doing Need Access? -- from someone who applied way too late to apply for those special scholarships.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Any chance of getting scholarship w/o doing Need Access? -- from someone who applied way too late to apply for those special scholarships.

Nope. I'd do Need Access/FAFSA asap --the sooner you get that over with, the sooner they can give you your financial aid package.

"How do I apply for the Law School’s institutional financial aid?
Entering first year J.D. students applying for NYU Law institutional scholarships (need-based and merit based) are required to submit financial information using the Need Access application. To apply online, visit Access Group's Web site. If you have questions about completing or submitting the application, you are encouraged to contact Access Group at 800-334-0540, 302-477-4000, or NeedAccess@accessgroup.org."

http://www.law.nyu.edu/admittedstudents ... /index.htm

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Also, according to the admissions timeline on the ASW, institutional financial aid awards come out between mid-March and April. Does this mean NYU is way ahead of the game this year?

porch

Postby porch » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 am

slack_academic wrote:
porch wrote:Giving up on the hope of NYU, this seven weeks of silence shows that for some reason they hate me... =( I wanted to stay in new york so badly too.

Seven weeks... lol
So if we applied early and haven't heard back yet, are they just going to leave us hanging indefinitely?

Until they waitlist us

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 am

porch wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
porch wrote:Giving up on the hope of NYU, this seven weeks of silence shows that for some reason they hate me... =( I wanted to stay in new york so badly too.

Seven weeks... lol
So if we applied early and haven't heard back yet, are they just going to leave us hanging indefinitely?

Until they waitlist us

until they waitlist us in april when they come back from a 2 month hiatus..

Kionaltski

Postby Kionaltski » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 am

Got the full ride Vanderbilt Scholarship today! Postmarked Jan 24. Interesting because I never did the financial aid application/contacted them about scholarships.
Good luck to everyone!
EDIT: All the info I see indicates Vanderbilt is for LLM students. I feel confused...Maybe they are confused...But it definitely says J.D. program

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

Last edited by MCFC on Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kionaltski

Postby Kionaltski » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm

MCFC wrote:
Kionaltski wrote:Got the full ride Vanderbilt Scholarship today! Postmarked Jan 24. Interesting because I never did the financial aid application/contacted them about scholarships.
Good luck to everyone!
EDIT: All the info I see indicates Vanderbilt is for LLM students. I feel confused...Maybe they are confused...But it definitely says J.D. program

I got the same offer earlier this week. Like you say, very little info about it online. Maybe they expanded it to JD this year?

Thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

LLLPLLL

Postby LLLPLLL » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:47 pm

went complete late October... UR1 11/5, radio silence since then, and UR2 1/30... wt....?!

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:13 pm

those of you who submitted need based already.. did you use last years tax return for your parents? or have they already filed? also on FAFSA did you include parents?

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Also got the Dean's scholarship via email yesterday. 25k a year for the first two years and then 12.5k for the third unless you get a pre-approved job in PI and aren't making any money then you get the full 25k....seemed kind of odd and I had never heard of this but looking at numbers on LSN I guess it's a pretty common offer.

Save_Ferris

Postby Save_Ferris » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:26 pm

LLLPLLL wrote:went complete late October... UR1 11/5, radio silence since then, and UR2 1/30... wt....?!

I'm stuck at 1/30 too but its UR3 for me. Fingers crossed for good news soon

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Still at 12/26 with auto-admit numbers. Do I still have company? Or did all you 12/26ers get admitted?

BSC

Postby BSC » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:58 pm

12/26 UR2 and still waiting. Thought I had close to auto admit numbers, too.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:41 pm

GertrudeR wrote:Also got the Dean's scholarship via email yesterday. 25k a year for the first two years and then 12.5k for the third unless you get a pre-approved job in PI and aren't making any money then you get the full 25k....seemed kind of odd and I had never heard of this but looking at numbers on LSN I guess it's a pretty common offer.

Congrats! didnt know dean schollys were going out already. did you finish fafsa and need already?

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Ya I submitted FAFSA and need access on the 27 so it was a super quick turnaround.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”