NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm

chickpea wrote:
Don't ED. You wont get into NYU with your current score anyways (even with ED) and if you score higher you almost certainly wouldnt want to ED. Good luck in December!

wait, won't NYU make a decision about my ED application before my December LSAT score becomes available? if not you're probably right that I shouldn't apply ED. thanks for the good luck wishes!
no they will.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:03 pm

[/quote]
On the flipside, depending on chickpea's desire to attend NYU and how strongly (s)he believes (s)he will get a significantly better score, it might make sense to ED. Your score won't come out until well after the ED deadline, so if you don't get in and you get a much better score, you won't be bound to NYU, while if you do get in and think that the improvement would have been minimal, you've made the right call. I think I side with Papi on this, but there is definitely an argument that EDing would make sense.[/quote]

Okay, so it sounds like assessing whether or not it makes sense to apply ED is pretty much contingent on my December score, i.e. an unknown factor.. Wow, so not sure what to do. I feel like applying ED is probably the safer option?

venus

Bronze

Post by venus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

chickpea wrote: Okay, so it sounds like assessing whether or not it makes sense to apply ED is pretty much contingent on my December score, i.e. an unknown factor.. Wow, so not sure what to do. I feel like applying ED is probably the safer option?
Even if EDing may give you a slightly higher chance to get in, and this way be a safer option, it doesn't sound like NYU is your absolute top choice. So if you get in under ED and have to accept their offer, you may end up being less happy about going there and not somewhere else you would have preferred. I wouldn't recommend EDing unless you are sure NYU is where you definitely want to go, and you would never regret not going to a different school.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 pm

chickpea wrote: Okay, so it sounds like assessing whether or not it makes sense to apply ED is pretty much contingent on my December score, i.e. an unknown factor.. Wow, so not sure what to do. I feel like applying ED is probably the safer option?
It's definitely safer, since you won't get into a better school than NYU unless you REALLY increase your score. In fact, I'd still at least consider ED at 170. The question here is: do you think your chances at scoring a 171 or better are enough to justify giving up the increased chance at NYU via ED? Bear in mind that you are by no means a lock at NYU ED. In fact, your chance of getting in with the current score is still fairly low.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
It's definitely safer, since you won't get into a better school than NYU unless you REALLY increase your score. In fact, I'd still at least consider ED at 170. The question here is: do you think your chances at scoring a 171 or better are enough to justify giving up the increased chance at NYU via ED? Bear in mind that you are by no means a lock at NYU ED. In fact, your chance of getting in with the current score is still fairly low.

Yes, my chance of getting in with the current LSAT score is definitely pretty low. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to score a 172 on the December test since I have consistently been hitting that score on practice tests. There is never a guarantee though and I'm a bit nervous about December given the huge discrepancy between my October LSAT score and the practice tests I was taking around that time.

I think I'm going to apply ED to NYU. If I get in I know I'll end up being really happy going there. I'm a bit too pre-occupied with the prestige of HYS - NYU is actually a better fit for my interests/lifestlye in many ways.

If I don't get into NYU ED hopefully I'll really ace that December LSAT and have a better shot at getting in there RD, or HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Checking in!
Do we know NYU medians yet?
How do people ITT feel about a 3.6x/170 chances at ED NYU?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Anyone know if NYU or any other T10's (particularly CCNP) are changing their ED deadlines due to the hurricane?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:33 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Anyone know if NYU or any other T10's (particularly CCNP) are changing their ED deadlines due to the hurricane?
I think if we start back Monday as planned, we won't change the deadline. No way CLS changes it, given that they only took two days off. Doesn't P have two ED rounds anyway?

domori

New

Post by domori » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 am

checking in. sent in my app on the 24th. no word from nyu yet - not even app received e-mail. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:53 am

domori wrote:checking in. sent in my app on the 24th. no word from nyu yet - not even app received e-mail. :(
You know they were closed all last week, right?

jns66

New

Post by jns66 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 am

I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my ED to NYU today. 166 3.7 URM. NYU is my dream school and top choice, mainly because I won't have to have an apartment which makes the most financial sense for me. I am hoping I have a decent shot - will be retaking in December in case I get thrown back into the RD and need to push it up a few points. Any thoughts on my chances/decision to ED? Also, any thoughts on scholarship money? Any truth to the fact that ED gets no money at all?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am

jns66 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my ED to NYU today. 166 3.7 URM. NYU is my dream school and top choice, mainly because I won't have to have an apartment which makes the most financial sense for me. I am hoping I have a decent shot - will be retaking in December in case I get thrown back into the RD and need to push it up a few points. Any thoughts on my chances/decision to ED? Also, any thoughts on scholarship money? Any truth to the fact that ED gets no money at all?
what kind of URM?

venus

Bronze

Post by venus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Just got a status update to 11/5 :) I didn't get one in October though, so this is the first one for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jns66

New

Post by jns66 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
jns66 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm sending in my ED to NYU today. 166 3.7 URM. NYU is my dream school and top choice, mainly because I won't have to have an apartment which makes the most financial sense for me. I am hoping I have a decent shot - will be retaking in December in case I get thrown back into the RD and need to push it up a few points. Any thoughts on my chances/decision to ED? Also, any thoughts on scholarship money? Any truth to the fact that ED gets no money at all?
what kind of URM?
Puerto Rican

pigeonman

New

Post by pigeonman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:46 pm

submitted yesterday and received acknowledgement email today. but checked online status checker and said application is under review? is this some sort of glitch?

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Submitted my ED app last night! :) I love NYU and would go there at sticker (their LRAP is incredibly generous and I only have plans for public interest). Figured ED was my best option with a sub-median LSAT.

*fingers crossed*

Br3v, Noodles, Jaqen, other Octoberwaiters – let’s be 1Ls together.

ETA: Hopefully NoodleyOne's LSAT will be enough of a boost to their median that they can feel freer to admit poor reverse-splitters like me.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:20 pm

pigeonman wrote:submitted yesterday and received acknowledgement email today. but checked online status checker and said application is under review? is this some sort of glitch?
I'm in the same boat. I submitted during the hurricane and just got my acknowledgement (because the whole school's been closed), but it sayd "under review"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
pigeonman wrote:submitted yesterday and received acknowledgement email today. but checked online status checker and said application is under review? is this some sort of glitch?
I'm in the same boat. I submitted during the hurricane and just got my acknowledgement (because the whole school's been closed), but it sayd "under review"
That is the same as "Application Complete" for NYU

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:
That is the same as "Application Complete" for NYU
Thanks, I appreciate the quick answer (and the reassurance)

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 pm

I thimk your numbers are still too low even given your URM background.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:51 pm

Leaning toward ED here with the deadline approaching. Thought I'd check in. It would be nice to have this whole process finished by Christmas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Checking in. Called the admissions office today to see if they received my ED contract (which they have), and they said I should have had an update on my status checker today. Its been at "application being processed" since 10/22. Fingers crossed y'all

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm

jns66 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
what kind of URM?
Puerto Rican
Ask GaiatheCheerleader. I'm under the impression that PR is a slightly smaller boost than other Hispanic URM categories (though I'm not sure). You may need to ED in that case.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 pm

maggielizer wrote:Submitted my ED app last night! :) I love NYU and would go there at sticker (their LRAP is incredibly generous and I only have plans for public interest). Figured ED was my best option with a sub-median LSAT.

*fingers crossed*

ETA: Hopefully NoodleyOne's LSAT will be enough of a boost to their median that they can feel freer to admit poor reverse-splitters like me.
haha good luck!

does anmyone know what NYU's new medians are this year though?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Br3v wrote:
maggielizer wrote:Submitted my ED app last night! :) I love NYU and would go there at sticker (their LRAP is incredibly generous and I only have plans for public interest). Figured ED was my best option with a sub-median LSAT.

*fingers crossed*

haha good luck!

does anmyone know what NYU's new medians are this year though?
no. Next time I run into someone from admissions, I'll try to remember to ask.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”