NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spicyyoda17

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby spicyyoda17 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Good luck to everybody - the next 6-9 months are sure to be "exciting"

zidane13

Postby zidane13 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Hoooooly cow, have only been waiting to apply to NYU for like four years. Officially checking in for the ride.

voytek

Postby voytek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Checking in. The one-month wait for LSAT scores will seem like a cakewalk after waiting for the app cycle

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:51 am

aannndddd.... In here as well. :) Hoping to be in the Empire State of Mind next fall.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:14 am

NYU is one of my top choices, but I won't know how realistic it is until October.

... Tentatively checking in.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Probably my most realistic reach school. I need to be convinced that NYC is for me though, so hopefully I'll get in and have to take a visit!

312ldn

Postby 312ldn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Checking in

Postby 06102016 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:04 pm

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:27 pm

What's up!! Checking in. NYU or Columbia would both be cool, but man am I worried about how much money I would spend out there... whooo-eeee. Unlike the Bay Area, I have no family out here, so nobody to help defray living expenses. Given the high likelihood that Berkeley will pass on me, though... New York!!

Is anybody else concerned about the cost of living? And besides the trope that CLS is good for BigLaw and NYU is good for PI, what are the salient differences between them? Sorry if that is a terribly noob question but I can tell a lot of you guys have been thinking about New York law schools for a long time, and I'm betting you guys have some insight by this point.

Postby 06102016 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 pm

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:45 pm

voytek wrote:Checking in. The one-month wait for LSAT scores will seem like a cakewalk after waiting for the app cycle

+1

rickyb514

Postby rickyb514 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:18 pm

slack_academic wrote:
outlookingin wrote:What's up!! Checking in. NYU or Columbia would both be cool, but man am I worried about how much money I would spend out there... whooo-eeee. Unlike the Bay Area, I have no family out here, so nobody to help defray living expenses. Given the high likelihood that Berkeley will pass on me, though... New York!!

Is anybody else concerned about the cost of living? And besides the trope that CLS is good for BigLaw and NYU is good for PI, what are the salient differences between them? Sorry if that is a terribly noob question but I can tell a lot of you guys have been thinking about New York law schools for a long time, and I'm betting you guys have some insight by this point.

I can't really speak to the differences, but I'm pretty concerned about COA in NYC. On the one hand, the prestige whore in me would find it incredibly difficult turning down either school. On the other hand, so expensive...

I'm also concerned about the difficulty of finding decent housing for my significant other and our large dog.

You will have no difficulty finding decent housing in NYC. As for cost, well, good luck. I go to NYU undergrad now and live off campus but there are definitely affordable and safe neighborhoods, so long as you're willing to commute a little bit. Brooklyn is where all the cool kids are anyway.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Checking in. See lots of familiar tars (HAI EICH!). Wishing luck to all!

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:41 pm

rickyb514 wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
outlookingin wrote:What's up!! Checking in. NYU or Columbia would both be cool, but man am I worried about how much money I would spend out there... whooo-eeee. Unlike the Bay Area, I have no family out here, so nobody to help defray living expenses. Given the high likelihood that Berkeley will pass on me, though... New York!!

I can't really speak to the differences, but I'm pretty concerned about COA in NYC. On the one hand, the prestige whore in me would find it incredibly difficult turning down either school. On the other hand, so expensive...

I'm also concerned about the difficulty of finding decent housing for my significant other and our large dog.

You will have no difficulty finding decent housing in NYC. As for cost, well, good luck. I go to NYU undergrad now and live off campus but there are definitely affordable and safe neighborhoods, so long as you're willing to commute a little bit. Brooklyn is where all the cool kids are anyway.

Word to both of you guys. Prestige is cool; the cost of that prestige is breathtaking.

But seriously let's get some people to weigh in on what they think are the differences between Columbia and NYU. Again, beyond the BigLaw vs. PI thing. Are they so similar that it comes down to basically what programs and professors you are most attracted to?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:53 pm

We're more fun :lol:

Good luck guys, we're all super excited to start on Wednesday and I hope to see a bunch of you here next fall.

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

Good luck guys, we're all super excited to start on Wednesday and I hope to see a bunch of you here next fall.

+1

It's a personality fit I think. If you like fun: NYU. If you don't: CLS ;)

(k, done trolling :), but seriously, GL on all of your cycles!)

edit: to actually answer the question, I think they are by and large the same school with small variances that may fit one person or another. If you want to be in Manhattan and still have some seclusion from the craziness of downtown, CLS is definitely in a better location for that, and with a beautiful campus to boot. If you like being in the middle of everything, NYU kind of wins on that one. I think the PI contingency and vibe is a real factor at NYU (I'll report back on this as we get more into the semester, but most other NYU posters on here seem to back this up). Other than that, it really just seems like a fit thing... I did some work at CLS at one point / visited a few times and it just really clashed with my personality whereas I loved NYU. I knew I wanted to be in NYC, so I ED'd to NYU. No wrong decision.

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 am

indigomachine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Nice, thanks for the input.

+1

It's a personality fit I think. If you like fun: NYU. If you don't: CLS ;)

(k, done trolling :), but seriously, GL on all of your cycles!)

edit: to actually answer the question, I think they are by and large the same school with small variances that may fit one person or another. If you want to be in Manhattan and still have some seclusion from the craziness of downtown, CLS is definitely in a better location for that, and with a beautiful campus to boot. If you like being in the middle of everything, NYU kind of wins on that one. I think the PI contingency and vibe is a real factor at NYU (I'll report back on this as we get more into the semester, but most other NYU posters on here seem to back this up). Other than that, it really just seems like a fit thing... I did some work at CLS at one point / visited a few times and it just really clashed with my personality whereas I loved NYU. I knew I wanted to be in NYC, so I ED'd to NYU. No wrong decision.

ETA: uhhh I don't know why I posted this. just looked at it, and I had quoted this conversation with nothing else in the post.
Last edited by outlookingin on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 am

checking in, also a retaker in oct.. might ED depending on the score

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:43 am

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 am

spicyyoda17 wrote:To everybody good luck do I wish - Exciting the next 6-9 months are sure to be

FTFYoda

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:36 am

slack_academic wrote:I'm going to write an addendum anyway, but you guys think they're serious about averaging LSAT scores? Not a fan of that...

they probably don't, especially now with decreased LSAT takers and USNWR's continued move away from score averaging.

maggielizer

Postby maggielizer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 am

Checking in!

Postby 02889 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Ah, the dream. Bit of a reach, but I'm staying hopeful! Good luck to everyone!

pandamonium13

Postby pandamonium13 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:18 pm

rickyb514 wrote:
slack_academic wrote:

Checking in. As someone who's been living in NYC for two years since college, I second this. I made the mistake of living in Manhattan my first year but have since moved out to Brooklyn :D

ksd2138

Postby ksd2138 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:34 pm

NYU UG grad checking in. Good luck everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”