NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cutebookwormxoxo

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby cutebookwormxoxo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:15 am

sonny wrote:Ding

Ugh I wish they'd just ding me already, waiting is killing me.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 am

FYI to anyone who applied for a named scholarship, I e-mailed the Admissions Office and this is the response I got:

Entering first year J.D. students applying for NYU Law institutional scholarships (need-based and merit-based) are required to submit financial information using the Need Access application. This application is needed in order to complete a full review regarding your award package. To apply online, visit Access Group's Web site. If you have questions about completing or submitting the application, you are encouraged to contact Access Group at 800-334-0540, 302-477-4000, or NeedAccess@accessgroup.org.

The Need Access Financial Aid Application should be completed by April 15. Applicants admitted to the Law School after April 15 are expected to complete the Need Access Financial Aid Application within two weeks of the date of admission. Late applications will be considered, subject to available funding.

Feel free to contact Financial Services directly should you have additional questions or concerns regarding the Need Access and/or FASFA applications.

lollipop555

Postby lollipop555 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

is anyone else stuck at 12/12 UR2?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:FYI to anyone who applied for a named scholarship, I e-mailed the Admissions Office and this is the response I got:

Entering first year J.D. students applying for NYU Law institutional scholarships (need-based and merit-based) are required to submit financial information using the Need Access application. This application is needed in order to complete a full review regarding your award package. To apply online, visit Access Group's Web site. If you have questions about completing or submitting the application, you are encouraged to contact Access Group at 800-334-0540, 302-477-4000, or NeedAccess@accessgroup.org.

The Need Access Financial Aid Application should be completed by April 15. Applicants admitted to the Law School after April 15 are expected to complete the Need Access Financial Aid Application within two weeks of the date of admission. Late applications will be considered, subject to available funding.

Feel free to contact Financial Services directly should you have additional questions or concerns regarding the Need Access and/or FASFA applications.

but it sounds like decisions are made prior to 4/15. weird

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 pm

az21833 wrote:
joiedevivre18 wrote:FYI to anyone who applied for a named scholarship, I e-mailed the Admissions Office and this is the response I got:

My dad is taking his sweet time doing his tax returns. Giving me heartburn.

On the plus side, it looks like for Need Access you can estimate your tax return info for the time being and submit a finalized tax return in the summer. I will give NYU ZERO reasons to not give me any money.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm

ph5354a wrote:
az21833 wrote:

On the plus side, it looks like for Need Access you can estimate your tax return info for the time being and submit a finalized tax return in the summer. I will give NYU ZERO reasons to not give me any money.

Amen to that. I definitely did the estimation. Plus My parents don't pay taxes in the US so imagine dealing with foreign tax forms... I think they might've given me estimated numbers.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
az21833 wrote:

Amen to that. I definitely did the estimation. Plus My parents don't pay taxes in the US so imagine dealing with foreign tax forms... I think they might've given me estimated numbers.

Oh lord, foreign income, I do not envy you.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 pm

neither fafsa nor need based require this years returns to submit. none of you have any excuse not to submit prior to 2/15.

wisteria

Postby wisteria » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 pm

It seems that a lot of schools do not require parental info if you are over 30. NYU doesn't say that though. Headache, ugh...

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 pm

wisteria wrote:It seems that a lot of schools do not require parental info if you are over 30. NYU doesn't say that though. Headache, ugh...

I think it depends on whether or not they require the Need Access form --which is pretty explicit about requiring parental info. Per the admitted students website:

"Is parental information required on the Need Access Financial Aid Application?
Students wishing to be considered for any institutional aid are required to provide parental financial information on the application, regardless of the student’s age, marital status, or type of institutional aid. It has been our experience that without this information, the majority of students appear to have need. This makes it increasingly difficult to determine who are the students with the greatest financial need are. Parental information helps us place all applicants on a more level playing field; and allows us to direct aid to those students with more finite personal and familial resources. All information is kept confidential to the extent permitted by federal and state law."

ETA: I can imagine you're frustrated by them requiring parental info in your case, though. NYU does give you the option to file a formal written appeal to this policy.

danitt

Postby danitt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm

ph5354a wrote:Oh lord, foreign income, I do not envy you.

My entire form is foreign income. I haven't done this much math since high school. And nothing makes you look as poor as converting your dollar to US.

joiedevivre18

Postby joiedevivre18 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm

danitt wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Oh lord, foreign income, I do not envy you.

My entire form is foreign income. I haven't done this much math since high school. And nothing makes you look as poor as converting your dollar to US.

Tell me about it. I get paid in Swiss francs and the franc has depreciated way too much this year.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Seems like admits are slowing.

Prepping the WL?

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm

shntn wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
trojandave wrote:No one ever called me and I've only gotten 1 email. Should I just withdraw? :(

+1, no calls, 1 email

Well one of them was an OUTlaw e-mail for teh gays, so I got a freebie with that one.

+1

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm

on lsn looks like last year there was pretty much silence through feb and march and mass wls at the beginning of april

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Crowing wrote:on lsn looks like last year there was pretty much silence through feb and march and mass wls at the beginning of april

NYU might be done accepting people for the year..

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

spyke123 wrote:
Crowing wrote:on lsn looks like last year there was pretty much silence through feb and march and mass wls at the beginning of april

NYU might be done accepting people for the year..

straight acceptances maybe, but im sure there will be some wl admits

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Yeah, I think there may be some trickles of news through to the next week since it'll be the last day for apps at a bunch of schools, but judging by last year it'll be a lot of silence with some rejections until the end of March :/

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Acceptances have been coming in on Thursdays the last few weeks. Maybe one more wave this week? It seems like there are a lot of strong candidates still waiting and I can't imagine nyu WLing them.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

ph5354a wrote:Acceptances have been coming in on Thursdays the last few weeks. Maybe one more wave this week? It seems like there are a lot of strong candidates still waiting and I can't imagine nyu WLing them.

That's what I was thinking. Not that I expect to be in the wave but I feel like a lot of people deserve to be. Can't see them calling it quits already.

Or I'm being wishful.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 pm

megagnarley wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Acceptances have been coming in on Thursdays the last few weeks. Maybe one more wave this week? It seems like there are a lot of strong candidates still waiting and I can't imagine nyu WLing them.

That's what I was thinking. Not that I expect to be in the wave but I feel like a lot of people deserve to be. Can't see them calling it quits already.

Or I'm being wishful.

I don't think you're being wishful. I think there is a 99.9% chance there will be more acceptances in the next few weeks.

porch

Postby porch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:49 pm

You guys are making me want to cry. UR since 12/6 silence since then. :'-(

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 pm

well at least we now have CLS to keep us busy for a while..

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am

Second UR 1/29

Oh god, I can feel the WL/Ding overtaking me.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 am

Volforlife wrote:Second UR 1/29

Oh god, I can feel the WL/Ding overtaking me.

I am jealous! I am pretty positive youll get in this Thursday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”