NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
roflmaozedong
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby roflmaozedong » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm

one_by_one wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


http://www.law.nyu.edu/graduateadmissio ... /index.htm

.. Did you apply for the LLM program? :?:


Nope, the letter mentions the JD program too.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm

roflmaozedong wrote:
one_by_one wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


http://www.law.nyu.edu/graduateadmissio ... /index.htm

.. Did you apply for the LLM program? :?:


Nope, the letter mentions the JD program too.


Really bizarre, but congratulations to you!! When were you accepted?

User avatar
roflmaozedong
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby roflmaozedong » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm

ph5354a wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:
one_by_one wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


http://www.law.nyu.edu/graduateadmissio ... /index.htm

.. Did you apply for the LLM program? :?:


Nope, the letter mentions the JD program too.


Really bizarre, but congratulations to you!! When were you accepted?


Uhh, the earliest RD round, so early December.

grapefruits
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby grapefruits » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm

If LSN is something like 10% of applicants, then NYU has (seemingly) admitted almost 2,500 students... Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I realize that LSN is going to skew toward the high end of scorers, but still. Maybe the 10% thing isn't accurate in this case or something. I've seen that number thrown around a lot though. Really confused at this point.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby 02889 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm

grapefruits wrote:If LSN is something like 10% of applicants, then NYU has (seemingly) admitted almost 2,500 students... Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I realize that LSN is going to skew toward the high end of scorers, but still. Maybe the 10% thing isn't accurate in this case or something. I've seen that number thrown around a lot though. Really confused at this point.

They typically accept between 1750-1800 applicants each year. I'd guess that there are simply more people using LSN this cycle, or it's heavily skewed towards higher numbers.

I say this mostly because I'm desperately hoping NYU has not given out quite so many acceptances, and that they still have one lying around for me.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


wut

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ssanonymous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

sonny wrote:Ding


Sorry! When did that happen?

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby fallingup » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

grapefruits wrote:If LSN is something like 10% of applicants, then NYU has (seemingly) admitted almost 2,500 students... Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I realize that LSN is going to skew toward the high end of scorers, but still. Maybe the 10% thing isn't accurate in this case or something. I've seen that number thrown around a lot though. Really confused at this point.


I recommend extreme caution when extrapolating anything from the LSN pool.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

grapefruits wrote:If LSN is something like 10% of applicants, then NYU has (seemingly) admitted almost 2,500 students... Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I realize that LSN is going to skew toward the high end of scorers, but still. Maybe the 10% thing isn't accurate in this case or something. I've seen that number thrown around a lot though. Really confused at this point.

About a 27% yield rate and historically having a 20% acceptance rate from LSN applicants, it seems about right.


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... SlE&gid=33

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby KingFish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

grapefruits wrote:If LSN is something like 10% of applicants, then NYU has (seemingly) admitted almost 2,500 students... Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I realize that LSN is going to skew toward the high end of scorers, but still. Maybe the 10% thing isn't accurate in this case or something. I've seen that number thrown around a lot though. Really confused at this point.


I thought I read somewhere that although LSN accounts for 10% of applicants, it accounts for 20% of admits at T-14 schools.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby wisteria » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm

roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


Did you submit the NYU financial aid applications and stuff? Not for the named scholarship, but the genenral forms etc..

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby KingFish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm



That's what I was thinking of.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm

wisteria wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


Did you submit the NYU financial aid applications and stuff? Not for the named scholarship, but the genenral forms etc..


are u just referring to fafsa and need based or is there a specific nyu supplement? i could not find the latter.

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bluecouch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 pm

KingFish wrote:
grapefruits wrote:If LSN is something like 10% of applicants, then NYU has (seemingly) admitted almost 2,500 students... Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I realize that LSN is going to skew toward the high end of scorers, but still. Maybe the 10% thing isn't accurate in this case or something. I've seen that number thrown around a lot though. Really confused at this point.


I thought I read somewhere that although LSN accounts for 10% of applicants, it accounts for 20% of admits at T-14 schools.


There must be a selection bias wrt the people who use LSN. That is, high scorers or people otherwise more likely to get into T14 self select to use LSN. As a result, the pool is skewed and can't necessarily be describe the population of applicants or, potentially, to estimate acceptance. Still, I <3 data, so I <3 LSN.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby wisteria » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 pm

az21833 wrote:
wisteria wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


Did you submit the NYU financial aid applications and stuff? Not for the named scholarship, but the genenral forms etc..


are u just referring to fafsa and need based or is there a specific nyu supplement? i could not find the latter.


Yeah, the general fafsa and need based stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

User avatar
roflmaozedong
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby roflmaozedong » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

wisteria wrote:
az21833 wrote:
wisteria wrote:
roflmaozedong wrote:Got a letter in the mail today saying I got a Vanderbilt Scholarship, full tuition. I thought you had to apply for the NYU named scholarships? :shock: I haven't seen this mentioned before in the thread about T-14 full rides.


Did you submit the NYU financial aid applications and stuff? Not for the named scholarship, but the genenral forms etc..


are u just referring to fafsa and need based or is there a specific nyu supplement? i could not find the latter.


Yeah, the general fafsa and need based stuff. Sorry for the confusion.


Nope, I haven't sent anything yet. It came completely out of the blue.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby wisteria » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 pm

roflmaozedong wrote:Nope, I haven't sent anything yet. It came completely out of the blue.


That's indeed quite extraordinary. But congratulations!!!!!

feelingood
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby feelingood » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Anyone have any idea when IILJ results come back?

I applied for it with my application in late november. Was in at NYU in the second week of December, but they've given no details as to an IILJ timeline.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

They have mentioned that they may use your PS in lieu of a specific scholarship essay and put you contention for a specific named scholarship without you taking any extra actions. Congratz! Somewhat jealous as an almost numbers, major, type of school, and state twin :P

User avatar
airbud
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby airbud » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Complete 10/10. Under Review since 11/28. Anyone else in the same boat? Should I just brace myself for a ding?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 pm

feelingood wrote:Anyone have any idea when IILJ results come back?

I applied for it with my application in late november. Was in at NYU in the second week of December, but they've given no details as to an IILJ timeline.


Nope no idea, but I applied too so ill keep you posted if you do the same! I think last year someone reported getting an interview for a named scholarship in early February, but I think that can happen any time during February or march. As people accept or pass on interviews, they may offer them to additional applicants until they have the right number of interviewees. Good luck!!

sonny
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby sonny » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
sonny wrote:Ding


Sorry! When did that happen?


Today.

1/28/13, via email

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

I have never received so many emails/calls of congratulations from one school's alumni before. Does this continue until you accept or withdraw?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby shntn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:I have never received so many emails/calls of congratulations from one school's alumni before. Does this continue until you accept or withdraw?

No kidding. A call and two e-mails today alone.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Crowing » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 pm

shntn wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:I have never received so many emails/calls of congratulations from one school's alumni before. Does this continue until you accept or withdraw?

No kidding. A call and two e-mails today alone.


well duh shntn school of law is obvs nyus first choice




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Christinabruin, eageragnostic, MSNbot Media, Zoe107 and 4 guests