NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bfigsan

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby bfigsan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:18 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:Do they leave a voicemail if you don't answer? I'm awkward on the phone with my own mother.

Yup! Just got my voicemail!

lawprospie

Postby lawprospie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm

ph5354a wrote:
lawprospie wrote:where's the site guys...I just went DLS. I'm freaking out too much to search

https://its.law.nyu.edu/admitted/login/ ... /index.cfm

Remember to include the L in your LSAC # and the / in your birth date.

Thanks! I couldn't find the link because I was acting like a manic. I'll be sure to join the 2016 thread. No phone call yet

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:58 pm

How has it worked with historically with people on the fringe? If we get passed over initially do they come back and admit some of us or are we in a pile collecting dust already tabbed for WL?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm

megagnarley wrote:How has it worked with historically with people on the fringe? If we get passed over initially do they come back and admit some of us or are we in a pile collecting dust already tabbed for WL?

Depends on when you submitted I think. It looks like most of the November applicants heard by January, but some December applicants had to wait until February. I wouldn't lose hope. A longer wait time just means you're not as clear of an auto-admit/ding, but it doesn't mean you're definitely WL'ed. According to LSN, there don't seem to be any admits between the end of February and April, when the waitlisted people are notified.

Basically, wait until February, then start thinking about the WL.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... order=desc

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 pm

In this morning via voicemail! (3.71/172). Is it expected that you call back or email the Dean to confirm that you got the voicemail if you missed the call? Is it considered rude if you don't?

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

beautyistruth wrote:In this morning via voicemail! (3.71/172). Is it expected that you call back or email the Dean to confirm that you got the voicemail if you missed the call? Is it considered rude if you don't?

No need to call back. Congrats!

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Alright, thanks! And thanks for the congratulations. I'm so excited. I thought with my numbers and not-particularly-spectacular softs NYU would be a very iffy stretch!

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

ph5354a wrote:
megagnarley wrote:How has it worked with historically with people on the fringe? If we get passed over initially do they come back and admit some of us or are we in a pile collecting dust already tabbed for WL?

Depends on when you submitted I think. It looks like most of the November applicants heard by January, but some December applicants had to wait until February. I wouldn't lose hope. A longer wait time just means you're not as clear of an auto-admit/ding, but it doesn't mean you're definitely WL'ed. According to LSN, there don't seem to be any admits between the end of February and April, when the waitlisted people are notified.

Basically, wait until February, then start thinking about the WL.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... order=desc

Gracias, señor.

Complete 12/18 but had a pending Dec LSAT.

Perhaps they are circling back to us 170/3.6Xers to shower us with February confetti.

....But probably not.

BSC

Postby BSC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Still at UR2 12/26

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Alright, thanks! And thanks for the congratulations. I'm so excited. I thought with my numbers and not-particularly-spectacular softs NYU would be a very iffy stretch!

Extra congrats if it was a reach.

Always feels good to get that surprise call.

What were you date's/#'s....ish?

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Firebombing this thread.

Deal with it.

Will submitting an essay for a named scholarship increase admission chances vis a vis showing interest in the school?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

megagnarley wrote:Firebombing this thread.

Deal with it.

Will submitting an essay for a named scholarship increase admission chances vis a vis showing interest in the school?

perhaps ?

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm

toothbrush wrote:

Deal with it.

perhaps ?

Riveting.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

megagnarley wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Deal with it.

perhaps ?

Riveting.

You may be a smart guy. How can anyone give you a certain answer here on a question that is not quantifiable. Will retaking an LSAT and scoring 5 more pts help? Yes. Will sending a letter showing continued interest and a leaning to participate in their programs? Perhaps.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:08 pm

toothbrush wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Deal with it.

perhaps ?

Riveting.

You may be a smart guy. How can anyone give you a certain answer here on a question that is not quantifiable. Will retaking an LSAT and scoring 5 more pts help? Yes. Will sending a letter showing continued interest and a leaning to participate in their programs? Perhaps.

Looking for anecdotal evidence/those who have insight from adcoms on the matter.

jessicayaaay

Postby jessicayaaay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Rory19 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
jessicayaaay wrote:I've registered for the Feb LSAT to try to raise my score in case I get waitlisted. Should/do I have to inform adcomm about this? Thanks in advance!

I don't think it would hurt. I know with the December test, I had the option of asking schools to hold my application for review until my second score came back, so you could try that if you're worried about getting dinged, but I don't know if they'll do that since your score will come back after the deadline. I would just call the schools, tell them you're taking the Feb. test, and ask what the procedure is if you receive a decision before your score comes back. Good luck!

I am in the same situation and I spoke to admissions yesterday about it--they said their system is linked to LSAC and they already were notified of my February retake. They also said that it is their policy to automatically hold my application in that situation until my February score is released.

Thanks so much! Glad someone's in the same boat as I am. I see you're an RTK applicant as well. Do you know if their holding onto our app is going to affect whether or not we can get an interview? Let's hope they're not in a rush to admit everybody before they get our scores...

Good luck in Feb!

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

megagnarley wrote:
beautyistruth wrote:Alright, thanks! And thanks for the congratulations. I'm so excited. I thought with my numbers and not-particularly-spectacular softs NYU would be a very iffy stretch!

Applied mid-January and went complete on January 14th. I'm shocked to have such a quick turnaround. My numbers are 3.71/172 (with a 166 first attempt. I feel like this makes it questionable that they actually count the average of your two scores). My softs are decent/extremely average. Internship with an professor, some editorial work, on-campus work experience, tutoring, English research presentations, but nothing published.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:41 pm

beautyistruth wrote:
megagnarley wrote:

Applied mid-January and went complete on January 14th. I'm shocked to have such a quick turnaround. My numbers are 3.71/172 (with a 166 first attempt. I feel like this makes it questionable that they actually count the average of your two scores). My softs are decent/extremely average. Internship with an professor, some editorial work, on-campus work experience, tutoring, English research presentations, but nothing published.

Congrats! Ditto on the two scores/average nonsense. I was 166 and 174. With a 3.6 and a "170", there's no way I would've heard back in two weeks like I did. We can go ahead and proclaim their averaging statement to be false.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 pm

beautyistruth wrote:
megagnarley wrote:

Not a reach really. Your numbers are solid.

Good cycle ahead of you.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

megagnarley wrote:Looking for anecdotal evidence/those who have insight from adcoms on the matter.

I really don't think they consider whether you've applied for a scholarship during the admission process. Even if they did, the only way I can see it helping is to guard against YP... but with NYU's class size, YP shouldn't be an issue this year.

porch

Postby porch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 pm

beautyistruth wrote:In this morning via voicemail! (3.71/172). Is it expected that you call back or email the Dean to confirm that you got the voicemail if you missed the call? Is it considered rude if you don't?

When did you submit/go UR?

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm

BSC wrote:Still at UR2 12/26

+1

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 pm

porch wrote:

When did you submit/go UR?

I submitted on January 8th and went under review on January 14th.
Last edited by beautyistruth on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Hoping for love tomorrow but I know it's not gonna come for a while :/

Postby 02889 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

How're my fellow deferred EDs doing? Is anyone else incessantly checking this thread hoping for news that they might miraculously accept some of us before June/July?

Oh, just me?

Otay.. :oops: :cry:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”