NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Omnivalc

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Postby Omnivalc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:39 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
hopingforgold wrote:UR 11/21...now UR 12/13...ED applicant...no DLS and can't log into ASW...too early for a rejection? deferral? acceptance? nothing??

There are a lot of theories as to what this update means and frankly we all have no clue except everyone last year who had a date change but was sill UR in December last year was deferred. But this year could be totally different. What are your stats? I'm in the same boat.

I was UR 12/5, and went UR yesterday again. I'm a 172/3.82, but have a C&F issue that could hurt me at NYU since they required more info about it than any other school. Wouldn't be surprised with a deferral. When would we hear about a deferral you think?

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Swimp wrote:
banjo wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:For those that have been admitted you should just know that the packet that comes to your house in the mail is thin and very wide so don't be freaked out if it looks small (its long and wide but very little width) all it has in it are two pieces of paper I nearly had a heart attack when I opened mine

You are a really anxious person...

Do they send rejections in those huge purple envelopes too? If so, that's really weird. I figured they'd go out in regular envelopes.

Not certain but it was so thin.... But in the letter it says that they will be sending more stuff later

AngeloPappas

Postby AngeloPappas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Applied 12/9 and my status already says UR. Anyone have a similar experience?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Omnivalc wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
hopingforgold wrote:UR 11/21...now UR 12/13...ED applicant...no DLS and can't log into ASW...too early for a rejection? deferral? acceptance? nothing??

There are a lot of theories as to what this update means and frankly we all have no clue except everyone last year who had a date change but was sill UR in December last year was deferred. But this year could be totally different. What are your stats? I'm in the same boat.

I was UR 12/5, and went UR yesterday again. I'm a 172/3.82, but have a C&F issue that could hurt me at NYU since they required more info about it than any other school. Wouldn't be surprised with a deferral. When would we hear about a deferral you think?

I sincerely doubt you are going to be deferred unless your c&f issue is very serious. We may hear something tomorrow, there is really no way of knowing.

Postby 02889 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Omnivalc wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

As I understand things, you can't be "deferred" as a Regular Decision applicant. People who apply Early Decision and are not accepted or rejected get "deferred" to the Regular Decision applicant pool, and are re-reviewed in April, normally to be waitlisted. I believe if you are not accepted as a Regular Decision applicant in the normal timeline (for you maybe later this month or early January), you simply don't hear anything until a few months from now (maybe April) when you will ultimately be waitlisted. Some schools (Harvard, Columbia, etc) have a "hold" indicating that they're not making a decision on your application and will re-review your app later. In effect, this is the same thing as an ED deferral, and you are most likely heading for the waitlist if getting held.

In your case, however, I'd say you'll be accepted in the next couple of weeks given your numbers.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Omnivalc wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Same GPA, similar LSAT (170/174), UR on 11/20 and I'm in. I have no C&F issues, but if NYU is the only school you had provide extra info to, I can't imagine it's that big of a deal. Good luck!!

Omnivalc

Postby Omnivalc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm

02889 wrote:As I understand things, you can't be "deferred" as a Regular Decision applicant. People who apply Early Decision and are not accepted or rejected get "deferred" to the Regular Decision applicant pool, and are re-reviewed in April, normally to be waitlisted. I believe if you are not accepted as a Regular Decision applicant in the normal timeline (for you maybe later this month or early January), you simply don't hear anything until a few months from now (maybe April) when you will ultimately be waitlisted. Some schools (Harvard, Columbia, etc) have a "hold" indicating that they're not making a decision on your application and will re-review your app later. In effect, this is the same thing as an ED deferral, and you are most likely heading for the waitlist if getting held.

In your case, however, I'd say you'll be accepted in the next couple of weeks given your numbers.

Bah I meant waitlisted, not deferred. Thanks for the reassurance about the numbers guys, the C&F issue probably isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, it just makes me nervous; I don't like having any blemishes on my application and it was a very unfortunate incident. Oh well, nothing you can do to change the past.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 pm

AngeloPappas wrote:Applied 12/9 and my status already says UR. Anyone have a similar experience?

I did. App complete on 12/12 and UR on 12/13. Hope that's a good sign!

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:04 pm

bluecouch wrote:
AngeloPappas wrote:Applied 12/9 and my status already says UR. Anyone have a similar experience?

Ditto. Applied 12/5, didn't get my status checker until 12/12 and was UR both 12/12 and 12/13..

AngeloPappas

Postby AngeloPappas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
bluecouch wrote:

Ditto. Applied 12/5, didn't get my status checker until 12/12 and was UR both 12/12 and 12/13..

Glad to see that I'm not the only one. Looks like admissions is starting to move quickly through files.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:32 pm

banjo wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:For those that have been admitted you should just know that the packet that comes to your house in the mail is thin and very wide so don't be freaked out if it looks small (its long and wide but very little width) all it has in it are two pieces of paper I nearly had a heart attack when I opened mine

lol. At least I knew what to expect when I came home, so thanks, anon. :)

I appreciated that the handwritten note discussed my personal statement. First time any school has acknowledged that they've actually read it.

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 am

Lavitz wrote:
banjo wrote:

I appreciated that the handwritten note discussed my personal statement. First time any school has acknowledged that they've actually read it.

My pleasure :) I also liked the personal touch.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

I HATE THIS WAIT!!!!!!!

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 am

Lavitz wrote:
banjo wrote:

Michigan didn't? Figured with the handwritten notes that would be a popular comment across the board. You must have had something awesomer in there

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:32 am

trojandave wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I appreciated that the handwritten note discussed my personal statement. First time any school has acknowledged that they've actually read it.

Michigan didn't? Figured with the handwritten notes that would be a popular comment across the board. You must have had something awesomer in there

Nope. Just said, "we'd love to have you join us!" :?

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:47 am

Lavitz wrote:
trojandave wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I appreciated that the handwritten note discussed my personal statement. First time any school has acknowledged that they've actually read it.

Nope. Just said, "we'd love to have you join us!" :?

And hey, the money backs it up!

jenglish27

Postby jenglish27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 am

Same as everyone else that went DLS today, just got access to ASW!

171/3.92/non-URM

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 am

Wharr's mah letter???!

Not that it'll tell me anything that I can't find on the ASW, but I just like getting mail.

ksd2138

Postby ksd2138 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 am

175/3.56, above average softs.
UR 11/12

Haven't heard anything since. Just a little maddening.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 am

shntn wrote:Wharr's mah letter???!

Not that it'll tell me anything that I can't find on the ASW, but I just like getting mail.

I'm with you on this one brother!

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 am

So do most deferrals end in a waitlist? Are some people accepted eventually? This is all very depressing....

Postby 02889 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:11 am

jsjd1989 wrote:So do most deferrals end in a waitlist? Are some people accepted eventually? This is all very depressing....

Yes and yes. If you check last year's LSN, you'll see that NYU actually pulled quite a bit from the waitlist. I think how much a school utilizes its waitlist changes year to year, though, so I don't think it's a strong indicator of one's chances if waitlisted this year, sadly. I'd guess the people on the waitlist who should be most optimistic are the people with numbers that were just barely not strong enough to get accepted, or who have great softs, or who bring diversity other than URM (lgbt, socioeconomic, religious, unique experiences, etc). Plenty of hope for us yet.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 am

02889 wrote:
jsjd1989 wrote:So do most deferrals end in a waitlist? Are some people accepted eventually? This is all very depressing....

Yes and yes. If you check last year's LSN, you'll see that NYU actually pulled quite a bit from the waitlist. I think how much a school utilizes its waitlist changes year to year, though, so I don't think it's a strong indicator of one's chances if waitlisted this year, sadly. I'd guess the people on the waitlist who should be most optimistic are the people with numbers that were just barely not strong enough to get accepted, or who have great softs, or who bring diversity other than URM (lgbt, socioeconomic, religious, unique experiences, etc). Plenty of hope for us yet.

I think they will pull extensively from the WL in such a down cycle. But I'm delusional and counting on that.

domori

Postby domori » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 am

francesfarmer wrote:
02889 wrote:

I think they will pull extensively from the WL in such a down cycle. But I'm delusional and counting on that.

+1

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 am

DECISION LETTER SENT!?!!?!?!! When should I get it?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”