NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dsn32

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by dsn32 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Crowing wrote:
demarco5 wrote:
dpm54 wrote:I've been under review since October. No movement since. Does anyone know what this could be about? Is this normal?
Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. In my head I'm unofficially waitlisted.
I am as well. Most likely they are holding us for mass WLs which start in early April iirc.
I fully expect the early April WL as well (UR 10/17). That would make CCN all WLs for me haha. I feel like the odds of getting off of one of the three WLs have to at least be non-zero, right?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

dsn32 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
demarco5 wrote:
dpm54 wrote:I've been under review since October. No movement since. Does anyone know what this could be about? Is this normal?
Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. In my head I'm unofficially waitlisted.
I am as well. Most likely they are holding us for mass WLs which start in early April iirc.
I fully expect the early April WL as well (UR 10/17). That would make CCN all WLs for me haha. I feel like the odds of getting off of one of the three WLs have to at least be non-zero, right?
Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL and NYU took a bunch too.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

sc-123 wrote:
02889 wrote:Sorry to hear about the dings today!

I had my UR date update to today's date. I'm a deferred ED and the last update was UR 12/13, the date of my deferral email. Any other deferred EDs get this? I'm pretty nervous about it.
I didn't get a UR update, still stuck at 12/13 which was, as you mentioned, the date of the deferral e-mail. I wouldn't try to read into the tea leaves too much, if anything your update is a good thing, they didn't just toss you into the WL pile after getting deferred from ED. Congrats on your cycle so far! I'm still waiting for my first acceptance, have a feeling it might be awhile.
Thanks for this! I have strong doubts that this is a good thing. I think at best it was a computer blip, and I won't see any change until WLs go out. At worst, my path ends slightly earlier than expected.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Crowing wrote:
Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL
wow. seriously?

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL
wow. seriously?
I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist
Probably like 100 / 1 million.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

I had an adcomm explain to me that the WL is oftentimes a trickle down effect. Sometimes, something happens with the HYS class and they do a considerable about of WL action. Because of that, CCN would then go to the WL as their students withdraw to go to HYS, and so goes down the T14. Not saying that's how it always happens, but that can account for any unusually large WL action on a given year.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Crowing wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
demarco5 wrote: Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. In my head I'm unofficially waitlisted.
Last year Chicago pulled like half its class from the WL and NYU took a bunch too.
Good to know UChi is still in play. Do you know if many of the WL>Admit people got any $$$?

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:48 pm

02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:I think the more relevant data would be: people accepted off CCN waitlist / total people on CCN waitlist
but if u had numbers in play for CCN then if any waitlist action happens you'll be first to get some.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:I had an adcomm explain to me that the WL is oftentimes a trickle down effect. Sometimes, something happens with the HYS class and they do a considerable about of WL action. Because of that, CCN would then go to the WL as their students withdraw to go to HYS, and so goes down the T14. Not saying that's how it always happens, but that can account for any unusually large WL action on a given year.
Yeah, which means its much better if you're on the waitlist at a lower T14 than CCN, because the "trickle down effect" is more pronounced the farther down the latter you go. Idk about N, but CC are stingy enough if you're admitted; I can't imagine they would provide much in the way of scholarships if you get in off the waitlist.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
02889 wrote:
but if u had numbers in play for CCN then if any waitlist action happens you'll be first to get some.
True, but a lot of people waitlisted at CCN have numbers in play, i.e. people above both medians (and even above both 75ths).

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:
02889 wrote:
True, but a lot of people waitlisted at CCN have numbers in play, i.e. people above both medians (and even above both 75ths).
i refuse to believe ppl above both medians and even above both 75ths fail to snag 1 of HYSCCN

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I havent broken T6... well not yet..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 pm

@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

EDIT: Maybe above both 75ths is too extreme...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

I just don't think anyone should have high hopes at getting in off CCN waitlists, let alone getting in off the WL with money. They definitely draw from the waitlists, but there are plenty of qualified people on those waitlists that aren't getting in.

Source?

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:@ longlivetheking: Maybe you're right, but if you do the math, there are more 173+ LSAT takers out there than are spaces to fill at all of HYSCCN. And high GPA's are more abundant than high LSAT's.

Crowing said Chicago took half of their classes from waitlist, that's 80 people(conservative of half). We know from last year's thread people below both medians got called back by NYU, apparently they were desperate.

and also, 173+ LSAT takers > seats at HYSCCN =/= 173>HYSCCN acceptances sent out

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Source?
It doesn't matter. If you take 173+s/median HYSCCN GPA, you don't have enough to fill all the seats. Even if you just did CCN, you probably don't have enough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Someone did the math once, and there are not that many people who are above medians for both. High LSAT scorers include a lot of re-takes, people who decide against law school, and a lot of people who do not have a good GPA and thus have to try to make up for it with a good LSAT. So long as nothing is BAD in your app, I think people above both medians will get into one of CCN (honestly, I see no point in including HYS in this shendig, cuz fuck medians, thats why)

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:40 pm

LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Source?
It doesn't matter. If you take 173+s/median HYSCCN GPA, you don't have enough to fill all the seats. Even if you just did CCN, you probably don't have enough.

just reading this gave me a semi, thank you LRGhost

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Source?

just reading this gave me a semi, thank you LRGhost
<3

delarge3

New

Post by delarge3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Source?
True story. HYSCCN had ~1900 students in the class of 2015. 130,000 people took the LSAT for the 2012-2013 cycle. 1% of that (172+) is 1,300. This doesn't take into account people with high LSATs who aren't applying, have GPAs that are too low, or just straight up gunning for other schools (I'm sure they exist).

There's a reason HYSCCN medians are 170-173. There's just not that many applicants with better numbers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Half is probably an exaggeration and I don't know the exact number. What I do know is that there were at least 20 reported WL admits on TLS alone for Chicago last cycle, so the total number is likely to be pretty high.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Well it's official, y'all have made me an optimist, I stand corrected.

I was also factoring in people applying this cycle with high lsat scores from previous testing years, as I think this accounts for a decent number of people (I am one of those people, and have three friends with scores in the 172-176 range from 2-3 years ago that are applying this cycle), but even so, once you take out the splitters, it wouldn't be close to that ~1900 figure.

Go waitlist 8) .

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Adcoms reading this thread page: :cry:

Us: 8)

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Well it's official, y'all have made me an optimist, I stand corrected.

I was also factoring in people applying this cycle with high lsat scores from previous testing years, as I think this accounts for a decent number of people (I am one of those people, and have three friends with scores in the 172-176 range from 2-3 years ago that are applying this cycle), but even so, once you take out the splitters, it wouldn't be close to that ~1900 figure.

Go waitlist 8) .

should also take into consideration people this cycle who got 172+ lsat scores but chose to sit out this cycle for whatever reason (ie do not want to be a lawyer)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”