NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:16 pm

SpatulasRcool13 wrote:Greetings denizens of TLS! I have a couple questions which I believe your expertise can cast light on.

I got accepted into NYU during the first round of NYU RD admissions (call from the Dean, etc). I would really like to attend either here or Columbia, so my main concern is financial aid. I did not apply for any of the named scholarships. What is there to know about regular merit aid? When is it distributed? I have a 172/3.7 - am I realistically in the running for any, or should I resign myself to paying sticker?

My second question: I am a Undergrad Senior (no full time work experiance) and I just got a job offer from a law firm in NYC (Sidley Austin) to work as a legal assistant. If I withdraw my applications/ acceptances and reapply next year so that I can get a year of experiance in the industry, will this have a negative effect on me when I reapply? If it helps, I will retake the LSAT if I do this (I only took it once and I fell apart on the last section).

Thank you so much! Good luck everyone!
you're in the range where people generally get some scholarship money. Probably close to 45K total.

On the other point, you will not likely be hurt by doing this. One option is to tell them that you want to get some real-world experience and that you will be applying again. This won't hurt you. Another option is to ask whether you can get your acceptance deferred to next year. This could go three ways: 1) they could tell you no. 2) They could tell you to submit the seat deposit and ask you not to apply to other schools next cycle in exchange for a spot in the class next year. 3) They could tell you to deposit and give you acceptance for next year, but not attempt to bind you to NYU.

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Checking in after submitting Jan 2! 168 x 3.9 so NYU's a long shot for me.

Question: I still haven't received a confirmation from NYU saying they've received my application (or any other sort of update). How long has it usually taken them to acknowledge reception of app? My LSAC account shows that the app has been sent, BTW. Thanks for the help!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

I got in with a 170, 3.85 RD with the first wave of admits. Any chance at a RTK or other full tuition scholarship?

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

swordking90 wrote:Checking in after submitting Jan 2! 168 x 3.9 so NYU's a long shot for me.

Question: I still haven't received a confirmation from NYU saying they've received my application (or any other sort of update). How long has it usually taken them to acknowledge reception of app? My LSAC account shows that the app has been sent, BTW. Thanks for the help!
Their email says they are very behind due to the holidays - give it a week or so!

Good luck!!

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:13 pm

lsacqueen wrote:I got in with a 170, 3.85 RD with the first wave of admits. Any chance at a RTK or other full tuition scholarship?
Idk if this is across the board, but we're # twins and I didn't get considered at least for AnBryce (only one I applied to). I was ED, so that could have something to do with it. Everyone I know who was interviewed or got full scholly had higher LSATs though.

Either way, couldn't hurt to throw in the app.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:36 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
swordking90 wrote:Checking in after submitting Jan 2! 168 x 3.9 so NYU's a long shot for me.

Their email says they are very behind due to the holidays - give it a week or so!

Good luck!!
Thanks for the tip fruitoftheloom! Best of luck with your cycle too!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm

indigomachine wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:I got in with a 170, 3.85 RD with the first wave of admits. Any chance at a RTK or other full tuition scholarship?
Idk if this is across the board, but we're # twins and I didn't get considered at least for AnBryce (only one I applied to). I was ED, so that could have something to do with it. Everyone I know who was interviewed or got full scholly had higher LSATs though.

I did apply to AnBryce and RTK... this makes me a sad panda.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm

lsacqueen wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

RTK requires PI commitment. We're not really qualified to tell you whether you have a shot at it. And AB is more numbers based but background still plays a very important role. I don't think your numbers are low enough to preclude you but whether you really have a shot depends on things we can't really predict.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:14 pm

SpatulasRcool13 wrote:Greetings denizens of TLS! I have a couple questions which I believe your expertise can cast light on.

I got accepted into NYU during the first round of NYU RD admissions (call from the Dean, etc). I would really like to attend either here or Columbia, so my main concern is financial aid. I did not apply for any of the named scholarships. What is there to know about regular merit aid? When is it distributed? I have a 172/3.7 - am I realistically in the running for any, or should I resign myself to paying sticker?

My second question: I am a Undergrad Senior (no full time work experiance) and I just got a job offer from a law firm in NYC (Sidley Austin) to work as a legal assistant. If I withdraw my applications/ acceptances and reapply next year so that I can get a year of experiance in the industry, will this have a negative effect on me when I reapply? If it helps, I will retake the LSAT if I do this (I only took it once and I fell apart on the last section).

Thank you so much! Good luck everyone!
I know a few people who had similar situations and accepted the acceptance but deferred for a year. Apparently the school is not as strict about deferrals as they make it seem. For a reason like this, they seem pretty open-handed. I would do that, so you know your admission will be guaranteed and you don't have to worry about applying again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Hey everybody, I have a request.

If anyone here has used mylsn.info (LinkRemoved) and it has proven to tremendously aid you in the law school admissons process, please consider voting for LSATSCORES2012 in this poll. He is the creator of this tool and because of the degree to which it has aided me in my application process, I feel he should without a doubt be the winner of the tittle, "Most helpful poster" for 2012. If you agree with me, please vote for him too.

Thanks!

Scrambles84

New

Post by Scrambles84 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Got my phone call for admission on Friday. Waiting for packet now. Big question I have (and very sorry if this has been answered elsewhere... I've been looking and having trouble finding the relevant info) is when should I expect info about merit aid (if any?) I've been reading about the process to negotiate scholarships as well - anyway, anyone else hear about scholarships/aid they've received yet?

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Scrambles84 wrote:Got my phone call for admission on Friday. Waiting for packet now. Big question I have (and very sorry if this has been answered elsewhere... I've been looking and having trouble finding the relevant info) is when should I expect info about merit aid (if any?) I've been reading about the process to negotiate scholarships as well - anyway, anyone else hear about scholarships/aid they've received yet?
Seems like they will tell us about it when the time comes.... We just have to wait. Nothing to do. Congrats on the acceptance

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:16 am

checking in!! really nervous about applying this late in the cycle though..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scrambles84

New

Post by Scrambles84 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:21 am

Anonymous4444 wrote:
Scrambles84 wrote:Got my phone call for admission on Friday. Waiting for packet now. Big question I have (and very sorry if this has been answered elsewhere... I've been looking and having trouble finding the relevant info) is when should I expect info about merit aid (if any?) I've been reading about the process to negotiate scholarships as well - anyway, anyone else hear about scholarships/aid they've received yet?
Seems like they will tell us about it when the time comes.... We just have to wait. Nothing to do. Congrats on the acceptance
Congrats to you too, thanks for the reply. I'll keep my eyes open.

ht2988

Bronze

Post by ht2988 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 am

LRGhost wrote:Submitted an app w/ a ~3.1/174 yesterday. Here's to hoping for some good luck :/
You're in for a long ride... I submitted in November with 3.34/173 and I haven't hear a peep, except for a deferral from ED to RD at CLS. I think they're waiting till the very end to look at us "extreme" splitters.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 am

lsacqueen wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

Stats alone won't make or break your AnBryce chances. If you wrote a moving enough essay for it, you'll be getting the finalist email.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

Stats alone won't make or break your AnBryce chances. If you wrote a moving enough essay for it, you'll be getting the finalist email.
When, in general, do these emails come out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Feb 22nd was the finalist announcement by email last year for AB. That date shouldn't vary much this year. I believe RTK and others come out around the same time

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Feb 22nd was the finalist announcement by email last year for AB. That date shouldn't vary much this year. I believe RTK and others come out around the same time
If we applied in January (1/5) and applied to IILJ scholarship, is there a chance that we would hear from the scholarship before receiving a final decision, or would we have to hear from admissions first?

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Feb 22nd was the finalist announcement by email last year for AB. That date shouldn't vary much this year. I believe RTK and others come out around the same time
Thanks!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 pm

ph5354a wrote:
If we applied in January (1/5) and applied to IILJ scholarship, is there a chance that we would hear from the scholarship before receiving a final decision, or would we have to hear from admissions first?
As far as I'm aware, notification of admission always precedes scholarship notification. That makes sense considering apps are considered for scholarships only after the apps are moved into the admit pile. Extremely low chance would be my answer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm

ht2988 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Submitted an app w/ a ~3.1/174 yesterday. Here's to hoping for some good luck :/
You're in for a long ride... I submitted in November with 3.34/173 and I haven't hear a peep, except for a deferral from ED to RD at CLS. I think they're waiting till the very end to look at us "extreme" splitters.
:/ Yeah, I'm expecting the wait and I can handle it. Good luck bro.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm

vincanity1 wrote: As far as I'm aware, notification of admission always precedes scholarship notification. That makes sense considering apps are considered for scholarships only after the apps are moved into the admit pile. Extremely low chance would be my answer
Got it, makes sense. If anyone has any familiarity with the numbers or number of IILJ finalists last year, I would be much obliged.

swordking90

Bronze

Post by swordking90 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

Question for you NYU app veterans: I just submitted my app to NYU Jan 2nd and got access to status checker today - "Application under review" as of 1-3-13. Is this normal for NYU to have me "under review" this quickly, or did all of you get "under review" as the first status you saw on the status checker as well? Thanks for the help!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 am

swordking90 wrote:Question for you NYU app veterans: I just submitted my app to NYU Jan 2nd and got access to status checker today - "Application under review" as of 1-3-13. Is this normal for NYU to have me "under review" this quickly, or did all of you get "under review" as the first status you saw on the status checker as well? Thanks for the help!
+1. Literally was about to ask the same question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”