NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toothbrush

Gold

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by toothbrush » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm

hohenheim wrote:
toothbrush wrote:has NYU wait listed anyone yet ? do they WL ? do they pull from it ? http://myLSN.info/ccnbia
Look in the OP and you'll see a big yellow spike at the beginning of April.
yes, yes, i guess i should have said.. why does NYU send out rejections before WL it doesn't make sense. random rejects although they're sitting on a huge pile of apps.

silly me for trying to make sense of a sometimes senseless process :P

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 pm

There was significant WL movement last year. Hopefully it carries through this year.

Please NYU, please :(

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 pm

jvincent11 wrote:
uconjak wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:Dinged today. Thought I would be wait listed. 168 3.9+ Good luck to everyone waiting

HOLLY CRAP batman, your numbers are better than mine, I haven't got rejected yet. I figured i was a almost auto reject. I have the feeling a reject be a coming.
You never know. I've heard law school admissions are kind of a crap shoot. I'm from the NY/NJ area and I applied late so I imagine both of those things hurt me in addition to below median LSAT

if law school admissions are a crap shoot, this entire forum should immediately close down. period.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:
uconjak wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:Dinged today. Thought I would be wait listed. 168 3.9+ Good luck to everyone waiting

HOLLY CRAP batman, your numbers are better than mine, I haven't got rejected yet. I figured i was a almost auto reject. I have the feeling a reject be a coming.
You never know. I've heard law school admissions are kind of a crap shoot. I'm from the NY/NJ area and I applied late so I imagine both of those things hurt me in addition to below median LSAT

if law school admissions are a crap shoot, this entire forum should immediately close down. period.
only a crapshoot in the sense that for the top 10 schools, no admission result (*acceptance) can be predicted with 100% accuracy. LSN/TLS are useful for establishing some high percentage confidence interval

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 pm

You never know. I've heard law school admissions are kind of a crap shoot. I'm from the NY/NJ area and I applied late so I imagine both of those things hurt me in addition to below median LSAT[/quote]

if law school admissions are a crap shoot, this entire forum should immediately close down. period.[/quote]

only a crapshoot in the sense that for the top 10 schools, no admission result (*acceptance) can be predicted with 100% accuracy. LSN/TLS are useful for establishing some high percentage confidence interval[/quote]

Heck i had a prof who told me got in to Yale, and didnt know why he got accepted. He had good scores and good grades, but?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:04 pm

only a crapshoot in the sense that for the top 10 schools, no admission result (*acceptance) can be predicted with 100% accuracy. LSN/TLS are useful for establishing some high percentage confidence interval

high percentage confidence interval = non-crapshoot

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:19 am

longlivetheking wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:
uconjak wrote:

crap shoot in the sense that there may be no reasonable explanation for an acceptance/rejection, substantial scholarship, or lack thereof. You stating the obvious by pointing out there is a good amount of predictability in admission decisions, but people with identical numbers don't always experience the same admission outcomes, which is sometimes hard to explain.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 am

jvincent11 wrote:crap shoot in the sense that there may be no reasonable explanation for an acceptance/rejection, substantial scholarship, or lack thereof. You stating the obvious by pointing out there is a good amount of predictability in admission decisions, but people with identical numbers don't always experience the same admission outcomes, which is sometimes hard to explain.
That fact that it is hard for us to explain does not mean than it's inexplicable.

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 am

TripTrip wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:crap shoot in the sense that there may be no reasonable explanation for an acceptance/rejection, substantial scholarship, or lack thereof. You stating the obvious by pointing out there is a good amount of predictability in admission decisions, but people with identical numbers don't always experience the same admission outcomes, which is sometimes hard to explain.
That fact that it is hard for us to explain does not mean than it's inexplicable.
Right, but ostensibly there is no explanation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 am

crap shoot in the sense that there may be no reasonable explanation for an acceptance/rejection, substantial scholarship, or lack thereof.
I've been following TLS for awhile, and have found less than a handful of apps where the explanation was not obvious. Part of the "explanation," IMO, is that despite TLS wisdom to the contrary, softs (and undergrad college/record) does matter, particularly at the smaller schools. (At least they matter a lot more than the denizens on TLS are willing to accept. The fact is that academics, by their nature, are prestige whores.)

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

Anecdotal evidence:

Sent: Feb 15,
Complete: Feb 26
Offer: March 6

Total turn-around time: 19 days.

My stats are 170/3.81; nothing really spectacular. Only explanation for quick admission despite late submission are my softs, or just a crap-shoot

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 am

^NYU jumped at your (near 75th %) GPA, and your LSAT allows them to hold their median (which may be dropping to a 171). For a large school, above median numbers are critical.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am

Big Dog wrote:^NYU jumped at your (near 75th %) GPA, and your LSAT allows them to hold their median (which may be dropping to a 171). For a large school, above median numbers are critical.
But I'm a splitter - I'm below the LSAT median. Doesn't conventional wisdom show that splitters are usually taken last, after all the "good" candidates are in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 am

dnptan wrote:
Big Dog wrote:^NYU jumped at your (near 75th %) GPA, and your LSAT allows them to hold their median (which may be dropping to a 171). For a large school, above median numbers are critical.
But I'm a splitter - I'm below the LSAT median. Doesn't conventional wisdom show that splitters are usually taken last, after all the "good" candidates are in?
When this cycle is all wrapped up I bet you'll be right at their LSAT median.

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 am

dnptan wrote:
You're not really a splitter in the sense that you're mentioning. Yes, technically you are above/below, but a splitter would be a 172/3.3, or a reverse splitter 164/4.0. You're just a normal applicant who happens to be around the medians.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am

Hmm that's interesting. Still, 9 days to reach a decision (including the weekend) - isn't that weird?

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am

BigZuck wrote:
dnptan wrote:
I do wonder about that. CLS was able to hold firm at 172 last year while NYU went from 172 to 171. You think NYU will allow its median to fall again, rather than holding it steady (while perhaps slightly cutting class size)? Also, if NYU has 170/3.7 as its c/o 2016 median and Penn and UVA are able to keep their traditional 170/3.85 split, that could be terrible for NYU. I think they'll try really, really hard to keep that from happening.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am

Stanford's median is 170 and they're doing fine.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:06 am

02889 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
dnptan wrote:
I do wonder about that. CLS was able to hold firm at 172 last year while NYU went from 172 to 171. You think NYU will allow its median to fall again, rather than holding it steady (while perhaps slightly cutting class size)? Also, if NYU has 170/3.7 as its c/o 2016 median and Penn and UVA are able to keep their traditional 170/3.85 split, that could be terrible for NYU. I think they'll try really, really hard to keep that from happening.
Yeah you're probably right. For some reason I didn't think they dropped medians last year. But for the record I doubt UVA and Penn will keep a 170. Maybe UVA if their scholarship tactics work. But I fully expect every school to drop an LSAT point this year if they didn't already last year. I also expect Georgetown to drop one point again, maybe even two. The high LSATs just aren't there in the applicant pool like they used to be. Sky high LSAT medians are going to start coming back to earth.

All just my opinion, of course.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

02889 wrote: I do wonder about that. CLS was able to hold firm at 172 last year while NYU went from 172 to 171. You think NYU will allow its median to fall again, rather than holding it steady (while perhaps slightly cutting class size)? Also, if NYU has 170/3.7 as its c/o 2016 median and Penn and UVA are able to keep their traditional 170/3.85 split, that could be terrible for NYU. I think they'll try really, really hard to keep that from happening.
CLS cut their class significantly last year. I hope NYU doesn't this year :(

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 am

LRGhost wrote:
02889 wrote: I do wonder about that. CLS was able to hold firm at 172 last year while NYU went from 172 to 171. You think NYU will allow its median to fall again, rather than holding it steady (while perhaps slightly cutting class size)? Also, if NYU has 170/3.7 as its c/o 2016 median and Penn and UVA are able to keep their traditional 170/3.85 split, that could be terrible for NYU. I think they'll try really, really hard to keep that from happening.
CLS cut their class significantly last year. I hope NYU doesn't this year :(
I hope it's a beautiful combination of everyone on TLS getting in, but also cutting class size, so we have a slightly easier time getting jobs in a couple years. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm

everyone should brace themselves for cuts across the board in class sizes and expect schools to fill out those spots via transfer. nyu is prime suspect for doing shit like this.

i really can't see nyu's median dropping. but on this board they have taken very very few splitters save those lsats who are 174+ or applied ED. i have a sickening feeling that they're confident that reduced class sizes are going to allow them to hold on to that 171 and not take a ton of splitters.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:36 pm

But I'm a splitter - I'm below the LSAT median.
Not necessarily, this year. They could be trying to hold a 171 median....if so, you are at/above the medians. Win-win.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Been UR1 since early January close/at/above both medians (haha trying to preserve some anonymity). Based of mylsn my chances are over 90%, anyone know why I haven't heard yet?

Maybe its because I have multiple LSAT's?

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Not necessarily, this year. They could be trying to hold a 171 median....if so, you are at/above the medians. Win-win.
170 is still below 171.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”